Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2023, 12:56 PM   #1

Coolant leak

Looks like we have a coolant leak on our 2022 Ventana 3407, left rear area. Pink and sweet smelling. Going to Cummins on Monday. Reservoir looks good. Anyone had this.
RVGoatLocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2023, 02:11 PM   #2

I had a coolant leak on my 2022 Ventana 3407 last fall in the same area. My coolant reservoir was showing right at the minimum bar. Turned out to be a hose clamp that needed tightening. Topped off the coolant reservoir and all has been good since.
Old 03-18-2023, 02:17 PM   #3

Yup, start by tightening up all the hose clamps.

Particularly if this leak started in very cold temperatures.

Don't think you need a dealer to help find the source of the leak-- driving to the dealer will likely spread the fluid and make identifying the source more difficult (read more $$$).
Old 03-18-2023, 03:04 PM   #4

Is this coach under a warranty? If not and you can't determine where the leak is you might be able to borrow a cooling system pressure tester from a local parts store and by applying pressure to the system the leak might show right up.
Being Saturday afternoon and you're having an appointment Monday we don't have much time to walk you through all the steps you may need to take to pin point the source of the leak. Hopefully it is something simple and easily repaired.
I too would place my bet on a loose hose clamp. You need to find which one first though. After finding it go the extra distance and give all the clamps a twist. If the clamp in question is a spring type clamp, replace it with a conventional clamp you can tighten up.
If the leak originates somewhere else it's a whole different story.
Your other option might be a mobile repair service.
Old 03-18-2023, 03:30 PM   #5

Even if under warranty, not sure it is worth the "fire drill" to set an appointment, drive it to the dealer, (maybe WAIT) for it to be looked at and finally drive it home.

Particularly if only a hose clamp that needs to be tightened!

But, your coach, your time, your choice.
Old 03-18-2023, 03:52 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
There has been an issue with the trans coolers leaking. I know of several that have been replaced. The trans cooler is the long metal box 4" x 4" x about 20" long next to the engine. It's on the left side and has a coolant hose at both ends. On mine, it looked like the coolant was leaking from the front hose. I tightened it and then later saw it leaking again. A closer inspection revealed there are two welded bungs on the top side that hold the cooling coil inside. Mine was leaking at the front bung.

This may or may not be your issue, but it's nice to determine it before you go to the dealer as you can check to see if they have a cooler in stock.

Below is a photo of where mine was leaking. the view is looking down at the top of the cooler. I took it with my phone.

Name:   KIMG0586 2.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  34.2 KB
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 07:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Even if under warranty, not sure it is worth the "fire drill" to set an appointment, drive it to the dealer, (maybe WAIT) for it to be looked at and finally drive it home.

At what point in my response did I mention taking the coach to the dealer? I was simply asking IF the coach was under warranty. This was just a reminder in case he did find something serious.
Note where I made a suggestion for self diagnosis.
Old 03-19-2023, 08:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Is this coach under a warranty? If not and you can't determine where the leak is you might be able to borrow a cooling system pressure tester from a local parts store and by applying pressure to the system the leak might show right up.
Being Saturday afternoon and you're having an appointment Monday we don't have much time to walk you through all the steps you may need to take to pin point the source of the leak. Hopefully it is something simple and easily repaired.
I too would place my bet on a loose hose clamp. You need to find which one first though. After finding it go the extra distance and give all the clamps a twist. If the clamp in question is a spring type clamp, replace it with a conventional clamp you can tighten up.
If the leak originates somewhere else it's a whole different story.
Your other option might be a mobile repair service.
Thanx to you and everyone else. It's under warranty and the FTL service center is an hour up the road. I definitely would need tutoring to investigate as I have no idea where to look. Hopefully I'll get an education on Monday!
Old 03-19-2023, 08:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGoatLocker View Post
Thanx to you and everyone else. It's under warranty and the FTL service center is an hour up the road. I definitely would need tutoring to investigate as I have no idea where to look. Hopefully I'll get an education on Monday!
The best of luck to you and I'm hoping it is a simple repair. Please let us know how this turns out.
Old 03-19-2023, 01:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post

Newbie, don't know what I'm doing, and have disability issues.
Old 03-19-2023, 01:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
There has been an issue with the trans coolers leaking. I know of several that have been replaced. The trans cooler is the long metal box 4" x 4" x about 20" long next to the engine. It's on the left side and has a coolant hose at both ends. On mine, it looked like the coolant was leaking from the front hose. I tightened it and then later saw it leaking again. A closer inspection revealed there are two welded bungs on the top side that hold the cooling coil inside. Mine was leaking at the front bung.

This may or may not be your issue, but it's nice to determine it before you go to the dealer as you can check to see if they have a cooler in stock.

Below is a photo of where mine was leaking. the view is looking down at the top of the cooler. I took it with my phone.

Attachment 388435
How do you get to this area?
Old 03-19-2023, 06:51 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
With the coach aired up, just crawl under the left side behind the duals. The trans cooler will be the lowest hanging item. It will probably be wet near one of the two hoses on the tank. Reach up with your phone and take a photo of the top of the trans cooler. You can also dry everything off and check again later. That's how I found mine.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 11:12 AM   #13

Spartan Chassis
Be careful with animals, can be attracted to coolant.
TheRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 05:11 PM   #14

As I had mentioned previously my 2022 Ventana had a coolant leak which was diagnosed, and repaired, by my dealer...it was a hose clamp that needed tightening. I had the coolant reservoir topped off, and since it was late fall, I had my dealer winterize my coach and I drove it to my storage facility.

Yesterday I was taking my coach back to my dealer to have some warranty parts installed that had come in this winter. Before leaving my storage facility I did an inspection of some things, one of these items was my coolant level. The level was showing just below the minimum line. This was totally unexpected as my coach has been parked since late October.

I mentioned this to my service writer at my dealer and she said she would have it checked out. I just received an email from my service writer, on the chassis side of my dealer, updating me saying the tech inspected my coach for a coolant leak and found that there are some heater core line fittings leaking. Interesting this has occurred while my coach has been parked outside at my storage facility.

Tags
coolant, leak