Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2017, 01:07 PM   #1

Coolant temp problems King Aire

I own a 2014 Newmar King Aire (bought new 23 months ago). I was travelling home from a trip and spotted some coolant leaks coming from under the radiator. I pulled into a Cummin's service center in Memphis, TN.

They took pictures and sent them to Spartan, who in turn shipped a new radiator down (coach under warranty). The Cummin's service center replaced the radiator and I was good to go in about 4 days.

Once i was on the road heading for home I noticed the temp gauge and it was showing 198, then it would show 200, 203, 205, 207, 209, and climb all the way up to 210 degrees after about 10 miles on the road. Once it hit 210 it would then stared going back down, all the way to 198 degrees and then after several miles it would start to climb up again just like before.

I pulled over and looked for leaks, there were none so I continued on homeward. It did this all the way would climb up to 210 then start moving downward to 198 and then the slow climb once again.

I got home just fine and parked the coach in the garage. I went out this morning, checking for any leaks on the floor (There were none- not a drop anywhere under the coach).

I also noticed that the "site glass" did not show any coolant at all in it at the "full when cold level".

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? The temp needle will not stay on a specific temp long at all, just keeps going up to 210 then down to 198 after many miles.

Thanks for your help.
bwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2017, 01:17 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Perhaps your surge tank did not get properly topped-off by the Cummins shop when they refilled your coolant. Not sure which arrangement you have but you may wish to remove the surge tank cap and verify there is coolant in it. May be just a tad below the sight glass.
I wouldn't be too alarmed at some temperature fluctuation as you will get a temperature rise until thermostat opens. Depending on ambient temperature and engine load it doesn't seem to me that your temps are out of range.
Just be sure coolant is at proper fill level.
Happy travels!
dc3carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 01:28 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwinters View Post
I own a 2014 Newmar King Aire (bought new 23 months ago). I was travelling home from a trip and spotted some coolant leaks coming from under the radiator. I pulled into a Cummin's service center in Memphis, TN.

They took pictures and sent them to Spartan, who in turn shipped a new radiator down (coach under warranty). The Cummin's service center replaced the radiator and I was good to go in about 4 days.

Once i was on the road heading for home I noticed the temp gauge and it was showing 198, then it would show 200, 203, 205, 207, 209, and climb all the way up to 210 degrees after about 10 miles on the road. Once it hit 210 it would then stared going back down, all the way to 198 degrees and then after several miles it would start to climb up again just like before.

I pulled over and looked for leaks, there were none so I continued on homeward. It did this all the way would climb up to 210 then start moving downward to 198 and then the slow climb once again.

I got home just fine and parked the coach in the garage. I went out this morning, checking for any leaks on the floor (There were none- not a drop anywhere under the coach).

I also noticed that the "site glass" did not show any coolant at all in it at the "full when cold level".

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? The temp needle will not stay on a specific temp long at all, just keeps going up to 210 then down to 198 after many miles.

Thanks for your help.
Just top off the "OVER FLOW" tank, and keep it at the "Cold Level" when cold.........it will take several heat up and cool down cycles for the cooling system to burp out all of the air in the system. After that, it should hold/maintain a level in the over flow tank, if it does not, there is a leak some where...........
The over flow tank is a wonderful tool in discovering if you have a coolant leak, as it should rise to the hot level when hot, and go back down to the cold level when cold. If it looses its cold level, there is a leak.
Having the radiator just changed out, this cycling from hot to cold was not done at the shop.......
Temps sound normal for you tear of Cummins.......newer ones run hotter.........the cycling you see is the thermostat opening and closing.........
At what temps did it operate at before your radiator change out? and did you notice the temps cycling 10-12 deg. before?
Old 04-30-2017, 01:44 PM   #4

I would assume you have a side radiator, and the fan does not run continuously. Mine will go up to around 208, then the fan comes on and the temp drops back down to about 195, then cycles through it again. That is when it is working properly. The fan controller is bad on mine now, but the replacement is $750 or so for the part. Now the fan runs continuously and the temp stays in the 182 range. Plan to replace the controller at the next service.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:00 PM   #5

Before I had the radiator replaced in Memphis, the temp gauge would stay around 190-195 and would not go up or down like it is doing now. Maybe (I hope) it will eventually burp out.....

Thanks for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Just top off the "OVER FLOW" tank, and keep it at the "Cold Level" when cold.........it will take several heat up and cool down cycles for the cooling system to burp out all of the air in the system. After that, it should hold/maintain a level in the over flow tank, if it does not, there is a leak some where...........
The over flow tank is a wonderful tool in discovering if you have a coolant leak, as it should rise to the hot level when hot, and go back down to the cold level when cold. If it looses its cold level, there is a leak.
Having the radiator just changed out, this cycling from hot to cold was not done at the shop.......
Temps sound normal for you tear of Cummins.......newer ones run hotter.........the cycling you see is the thermostat opening and closing.........
At what temps did it operate at before your radiator change out? and did you notice the temps cycling 10-12 deg. before?
Old 04-30-2017, 02:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwinters View Post
Before I had the radiator replaced in Memphis, the temp gauge would stay around 190-195 and would not go up or down like it is doing now. Maybe (I hope) it will eventually burp out.....

Thanks for your help.
Interesting, my King Aire has behaved the way you describe (post new radiator) since day 1. Temp climbs to 210 (higher on a major climb) then tapers off. It does not often fall below 200, and when it does it is not for long. I can't think of anytime the temp stays constant for more than a couple minutes. I've always wondered if that was completely normal for the ISX. Interesting yours did not fluctuate originally. I'm headed to the Spartan class in a couple weeks and I'll ask them about this.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:33 PM   #7

I have a 2014 Essex and from day 1 the temp cycles from 210-192.
tmh1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:30 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would call Spartan Customer Service and discuss your concerns. They can be reached at 800-543-4277.

The fluctuations can be either the thermostat or the radiator fan or both. But a call to Customer Service should answer all your questions. They know me by first name....well may be not!
Old 04-30-2017, 08:53 PM   #9

How are you measuring coolant temp? Dash gauge or Scan D gauge or something else?
Old 04-30-2017, 09:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
How are you measuring coolant temp? Dash gauge or Scan D gauge or something else?
The coach has a SilverLeaf screen by the dash which shows a variety of metrics including coolant temp
Old 04-30-2017, 10:01 PM   #11

When you find out, please let me know. My name is Billy Winters and my email is: bwinters@wildblue.net

Thanks so much.

QUOTE=uncnavy2000;3575529]Interesting, my King Aire has behaved the way you describe (post new radiator) since day 1. Temp climbs to 210 (higher on a major climb) then tapers off. It does not often fall below 200, and when it does it is not for long. I can't think of anytime the temp stays constant for more than a couple minutes. I've always wondered if that was completely normal for the ISX. Interesting yours did not fluctuate originally. I'm headed to the Spartan class in a couple weeks and I'll ask them about this.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-30-2017, 10:03 PM   #12

I had the new "Glass Dash by Silverleaf" installed in the coach last January and that is how I am seeing my temps. The glass dash is awesome to say the least. Looks like a fighter planes cockpit panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Old 05-01-2017, 08:24 AM   #13
FCO

My King Aire works the same. Temp goes to 210 and then slowly drops down to 198. It cycles between 210 - 198. If you go to the ISX15 Cummins specification sheet, this is the normal operating temp for the ISX15.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:25 AM   #14

When you say ISX15 are you talking about a 2015 Cummin's diesel engine? Mine is a 2014.

Where do I find the ISX 15 cummin's spec sheet?

Thanks,

Billy

Tags
ems, problems