Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2021, 09:28 AM   #1

Cooling / A/C Tips when on 30 Amp Service?

Our '21 Ventana 3412's front Penguin 15K AC cannot keep our coach cool on it's own, and I am unable to run both units with the 30 amp service we have at our current site. It has been sweltering hot 100-102 degrees each day, and we are in full sun for most of it. Also, the sun is "baking" the front/windshield from about 2:00-6:00. I can feel the heat radiating in, and the cockpit area is hottest.

I have ordered windshield covers/inserts to place in front of the shades, and I think that will help.

However, the AC is definitely blowing nice, cold air, but the flow/velocity seems weak even on high. There are 4 ducts in the overhead, and the front 2 blow much harder than the rear 2, pushing most of the cold air towards the cockpit "hot spot."

Also, the AC covers are beautiful, but could they be inhibiting efficiency by restricting airflow??? See pics.

I ran the genny for a few hours yesterday afternoon to get both AC's going, and all cooled well. Went back to shore power when the sun got off the coach, and the single AC still struggled (temp was in the low 90's).

Possible to stay cool on one, or is this just a bad situation?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Front.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	339286   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Cover.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	339287  

tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2021, 10:24 AM   #2

You've got to pick if you want the front cool or the back cool (or else run the gen.) Close your bedroom door and realize that it will be hot back there if you need to only run the front. Then, before bed, shut off the front and kick on the rear AC (it will cool down the bedroom pretty quickly.)

Running the gen only costs a few bucks/hr so when it's that hot and you can't get 50a it may be the only solution.
Old 08-12-2021, 10:36 AM   #3

Look into the RV Airflow system install. Some have had great results in better cooling. Also check your dividers in your units for proper sealing.
Old 08-12-2021, 10:43 AM   #4

Blocking the sun from the outside of the windshield is much more effective than using internal shades. I use a Fancher windshield cover wih a piece of Reflectix between it and the windshield - can't see out but it's much cooler insode.
johninsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 11:20 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I agree with keeping the heat out of the front windshield will help a lot. We were recently at an RV park where only 30 amp was available and I installed our magne shades and immediately noticed a difference. I had closed the night shades immediately upon arrival, but after an hour of doing “other things” it was not comfortable in the coach. External shades will help for sure.
Berryfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 11:27 AM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"tomato".....I sent you a PM. A few of us have removed the foam rings and installed foam strips around the exhaust ports. There is a post about it.

We use a small box fan (Cool Breeze 12v) between the bedroom and main room. It helps to keep the air circulating. On a rare occasion when we boondock on the road, the fan comes in handy at night.

Lastly, we finally bought a MagneShade for the windshield. You have to stop the heat from penetrating the windshield. Once it's inside, nothing will stop it. It will just radiate behind the shade or other things placed there.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 12:22 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would also look at a few little things that add up a lot:

1) make sure you get started on cooling early in the day. We have A/C set 24x7; but certainly by sunrise you need it to be already cool.
2) set the fan speed to high on both units (not auto), even if there isn’t enough electric power to run both condensers the fan will keep running to circulate air in the back.
3) set the rear unit a degree to the same or cooler temp
4) get an independent thermometer to make sure the thermistors are accurate. Because of where they are located they aren’t generally accurate to the seating positions you use at times of the day. Adjust the thermostat to compensate for the difference.
5) like Don said the magna shades really help
6) use your awning to get the sun off the side of the coach when you can
7) use window awnings if you have them
8) use the sunshades on every window
9) when you have an option aim the front of the Coach to the West or North to minimize the sun coming into the large windshield

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 04:01 PM   #8

Appreciate all the advice. I tried a few things with running the other AC's fan, closing doors, using Fantastic Fans, but nothing is helping at this point. Coach is now uncomfortable again at 80 degrees. Started out this morning at 70.

My wife came up, and I had her bring my laser thermometer. Some interesting readings:
-Outside air temp 98
-Floor and furniture surfaces 79
-Front windshield (inside) area 115!!!
-Shaded part on outside of coach 95
-DEF tank and compartment (on shaded side) 89
-Outside coach in direct sun 135!!!
-AC intake 84
-AC output 60 - Working great!!!

Conclusion: It is just too damn hot for only 1 AC . Genny time.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 05:48 PM   #9

Got slides ? Pull the ones you can in.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 05:59 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
On 30 amps with a big RV, it will not be cool. Cover all the windows and windshield with Reflectix as a start. Awning out if wind permits. Cool one end or the other, not both. Pull in the slides. And as a last resort, pray for cooler weather.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 06:21 PM   #11

I would just run the generator. Comfort outweighs the minimal cost of diesel it will burn
outlawten5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 06:32 PM   #12
Community Moderator

With slides in, much less air to cool !
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 07:02 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
When you can, get 2 Micro-Air soft starts, one for each AC. They'll knock down starting amps to 14 a piece from 31-34 starting amps. If you trim off all other items using that 30 amps you could run both as well as stagger the starting of each. Problem is wait time on ordering them. All the other suggestions are great in this thread.

My bad, forgot 30 amp shore is on one leg only.
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 08:07 PM   #14

Take a trip to home builder store.. get 48 in roll of reflexive insulation.. it's a heavy duty aluminum coated bubble wrap.. when you get outside store.. just open the roll enough to cover your head.. you will be astounded.. if you like it.. you may want to go back in.. and buy 4 more rolls or so.. and staples.. and box knife knife.. for about 10.00 ... I made it for inside front windshield .. blocks 99% heat and sun.. there abouts.. use the rest on other windows.. if you over cut it by 4 in it will hold itself in place.. on some windows you may want to use something like Velcro.. now on my coach.. I added it to all the interior walls of rv that would not take away from the decor.. so.. I stapled in the inside of every cabinet.. and to the ceiling of every cabinet.. behind every kitchen cabinets.. under lift up bed.. every where .. I found that by pulling micro.. there where unsealed places where they ran wires.. I sealed and staples it all behind micro.. the top inside front cap behind tv.. on mine.. I used a paint stick to push it up in there.. try yo get as much of the inside ceiling as you can without it being objectionable.. it is a game changer.. I estimate that I have about 30 to 40% of ceiling covered and the only time you see it.. is when you look in cabinets.. you can walk in my coach and feel where it is but not see it.. it's like that part of coach is in shade.. only draw back is can't use it on entire ceiling or it would look like space ship.. and yes.. you cannot see out or in.. so give a roll a try.. if you don't like it.. take it off.. just don't over do the staples until you see if you like it.. I did closets.. and their ceiling.. I got about 50 % coverage on inside of walls on one side.. and 80% on side where the kitchen is.. just make sure that when you come across plumbing you keep the plumbing on warm side.. don't insulate the plumbing against the wall.. force it in between the plumbing and wall.. so pipes will not freeze .. I even did behind shower.. even quieter.. I have done all bays and doors and water and waist tanks.. it's light.. cheap.. and if I change my mind or need to pull it out for repair.. I can do that to.. warning.. it is addictive.. so you might find yourself going back for more.. you get good at cutting it and using paint rollers to push it into places .. good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you

Tags
cooling, service, tips