Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2020, 08:59 AM   #1

Corporate responsibility and Customer Service---- a tale of two companies

Corporate responsibility and Customer Service---- a tale of two companies
We have a South Bay pontoon boat that is 3 years old. We have noticed that the faux teak flooring was showing some discoloration in places. We contacted the dealer and he advised us to use a specific cleaning compound on the affected areas. That worked only for a short time. Next, we contacted South Bay corporate. South Bay is part of Forest River which is a Berkshire Hathaway company. After reviewing our concerns, they responded that there had been other clients with similar issues and that they had discontinued offering that particular flooring. What happened next was a very pleasant surprise. They told us to review the current flooring offerings from their website and to pick whatever we wanted. They then said they would schedule to have a crew travel to our home and replace the flooring. This is not a trivial undertaking as this boat has 2 bars, seating and railings all along the perimeter, bar stools ,helm station, etc. All this will need to be removed and then replaced after the new flooring is put into place. This is all being done on their dime.

Now compare this to Newmar who knows that they have an upholstery issue and have for years, but instead of addressing the issue and doing what needs to be done to make it right, they chose essentially ignore the problems and push it back on the customers who thought that were buying a quality product from a responsible manufacturer. We were wrong .
In the spring, I will be paying thousands of $$'s to have our Newmar reupholstered....not my idea of customer service or a responsible corporation.... just greed on their part.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2020, 09:42 AM   #2

Spartan Chassis
We can only hope that Winnebago will recognize this this customer service deficit, as well as Newmar's lack of quality control/quality assurance that exists with their premium brand and take the necessary corrective actions. Perhaps if people begin taking their complaints directly to Winnebago the light might be turned on?
TheRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRod View Post
We can only hope that Winnebago will recognize this this customer service deficit, as well as Newmar's lack of quality control/quality assurance that exists with their premium brand and take the necessary corrective actions. Perhaps if people begin taking their complaints directly to Winnebago the light might be turned on?
I agree--- the Newmar mgmt over the past few years really didn't care.... my certified ,returned receipt letter to Matt Miller went unanswered when I wasn't able to use my coach for over 6 months of the first year of ownership due to problems. I can only hope Winnie takes these items seriously ands makes changes. I will be in the market for a new coach real soon ... no need to say any more.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:43 PM   #4

Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
This goes along with my 3 unanswered emails and two un answered phone messages. I have been totally ignored by Newmar in the last 60 days. If not for the responsiveness of Independence RV I'd be at my wits end.
Johninar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:19 AM   #5
Rd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
I agree--- the Newmar mgmt over the past few years really didn't care.... my certified ,returned receipt letter to Matt Miller went unanswered.......
My letter as well as request for meeting were also ignored.

one can only surmise, post 2008-2009, mr. miller had been focused on selling the business and it shows. Anyone involved with the sale of a business understands, it does not take place over night. Since early mid teens, "Mahlons' Newmar quality had been compromised for Millers Quantity, unfortunately.

The tag axle defects, known to newmar in 2015, the fan frame defect known in 2015, pdm problems since at least early 2017, the fws defects for 2016-17 models, the fake leather at least early 18 (I paid for mine to be replaced), windows falling, some units with awning improperly mounted and the list goes on. How many had to replace charge solenoid, now we are up to the 3rd version in the 4 yrs I have this newmar (2nd one). These are reflections of a company more focused on taking short cuts in a rush to ramp up sale numbers.

Newmar DOES make a very beautiful coach, heads and shoulder above most others. However, as other owners are slowly but surely starting to notice this lack of (intentional) attention to quality. This despite the very fact that there are very many newmar employees who are extremely professional, competent and people of high integrity. I have come to know these people, because I have spent so much time at newmar over the last 7 yrs. Some of these employees worked at Holiday Rambler, when it was family owned and a quality product. they came to newmar because of Mahlon.

The SAD part is, Newmar is more than capable of producing a hi quality coach, one that can easily dominate the entire market. Even if, one where to justify Miller's short term objective in selling his business, we would at least hope, the new ownership would have the foresight to look long term and not just to focus on short term gains.

...and last, as owners, who very many are peculiar about their newmar, we too have a choice. This community and forum too, is an opportunity to influence the decision makers. It is a choice.

Tags
service