Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2015, 07:53 PM   #1

Cost of FWS tile floor protector pads

Has anyone priced those black FWS tile floor protector pads? I thought I was being very careful when placing them down and in the proper grove but undoubtedly one didn't get in place and it cracked the lip about 1/2 way across.
I've applied some super glue and hoping it will hold the lip of the pad in place as the slide moves in/out.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2015, 08:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Has anyone priced those black FWS tile floor protector pads? I thought I was being very careful when placing them down and in the proper grove but undoubtedly one didn't get in place and it cracked the lip about 1/2 way across.
I've applied some super glue and hoping it will hold the lip of the pad in place as the slide moves in/out.
Call customer service. They will replace it at no charge within your first year. Once you break them they are done. The key is to slide them side to side to assure they are seated in the slot.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:49 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice on Newmar's customer service Rich. Didn't realize they'd do that. I always try to slide the pad back/forth and watch to see that it is setting flat on the tile but didn't realize that groove further back of the correct one will still let the pad do all it's supposed to. I'll have to start visualizing exactly where it sets under the carpet better.

Since the lip only broke away half way across the pad and still connected on the other half I am kind of hoping the Gorilla super glue will at least hold the broke end and will work till we get home from this trip.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:57 AM   #4

I did not get those slide protectors with my coach.... do they really make that much difference?
So far I have not experienced any problem with the rollers over the tile.
dhlairbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhlairbus View Post
I did not get those slide protectors with my coach.... do they really make that much difference?
So far I have not experienced any problem with the rollers over the tile.
They started using them on the 2015's. I have read a lot of folks take issue with having to put these down. Some have them and choose to not use. For us the high gloss tile is much too attractive to chance abrasion from the rollers so we use them. It's a 2 minute job.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:00 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
We have a 2015 Dutch Star, that we've lived in for 8 months and used the pads only once. Each time I put the slides in I vacuum the floor, with particular care under the slide carpet and once a month I clean the rollers. The dark tile still looks great.
jbrown000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown000 View Post
We have a 2015 Dutch Star, that we've lived in for 8 months and used the pads only once. Each time I put the slides in I vacuum the floor, with particular care under the slide carpet and once a month I clean the rollers. The dark tile still looks great.
How and where do you get to the rollers to clean them? And do you use anything in particular to clean them with? We swiffer the tile floor and vacuum the tops of the pads each time we run the room in but I can definitely see the benefit of keeping the rollers as clean as possible.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:51 PM   #8

I agree, keeping the rollers clean is important to keep the tile looking nice. But getting to them is not easy, and you cannot get to the whole roller. Quite a job, I think I will look into the pads as an extra precaution.
dhlairbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 01:54 PM   #9

Are the pads available from after-market suppliers or is the best bet to get them directly from Newmar? Thank you.
neilnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 02:39 PM   #10

Speaking of floors....do you all have any specific recommendations for cleaning products to keep the porcelain tile floors looking great? Seems like in our last coach, we used stuff that felt "tacky" or dull after cleaning. I read somewhere that Newmar recommends not using soap-based or detergent-based cleaning products, but any suggestions are welcomed --
neilnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:12 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
If you are adding protectors to existing coach make sure that lip fits down so that they are flat on the floor. I also remedied my breaking of the lip by using a drumel and filing the edge of the tile. Rear roller under fridge would cut the lip off every time I used it. I rebend protectors. Since filing the tile edge it has not happened since.
The Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 02:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Okie View Post
If you are adding protectors to existing coach make sure that lip fits down so that they are flat on the floor. I also remedied my breaking of the lip by using a drumel and filing the edge of the tile. Rear roller under fridge would cut the lip off every time I used it. I rebend protectors. Since filing the tile edge it has not happened since.
We ended up rebending one too. Hit it with a heat gun and bent it to 90 degrees in the vice.

Yoho, moho, the traveler's life for me!
sinjineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Okie View Post
Ya know......sometimes it just takes a different set of eyes to see the obvious. I now have extras!
Old 09-23-2015, 06:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilnoff View Post
Speaking of floors....do you all have any specific recommendations for cleaning products to keep the porcelain tile floors looking great? Seems like in our last coach, we used stuff that felt "tacky" or dull after cleaning. I read somewhere that Newmar recommends not using soap-based or detergent-based cleaning products, but any suggestions are welcomed --
When I e-mailed Newmar about a cleaning product for the ceramic tile floor this is what they e-mailed back: Use all purpose non-oil base household cleaner, microfiber mop, no acid, bleach, wax based, or oil based detergents then suggested one product- Pledge -(but everything we read on the containers of Pledge in stores always said it was for wood floors). Is that also good for tile floors?

So right now we are using the same Armstrong cleaner we used on the house linoleum tile floor, right or wrong, we haven't found any product that meets all their criteria.