Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2021, 08:07 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cost of not using your rig!

Our 1999 Dutch Star DP which I have kept maintained pretty well or at least I thought. After not using it for 2020, it sat stored indoors I decided to change the oil and filters myself but take to the truck repair place for servicing the air dryer and a coolant flush with ELC coolant. Had them lube the chassis. I get it back and seems like all hell breaks loose. Put water in the tank as we were going to the Moto America race at Road America which requires boondocking. Water pump runs but no water flows. Trailer light connector has no power there at all. Air horn or city horn now donít work. Probably doesnít have anything to do with anything they did but makes me wonder. Everything worked when I put it away in the fall of 19. Iíll be searching the boards for answers. Owning a motorhome I am not alone in these problems. I sure as hell donít want to buy a new one at my age.
hotrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2021, 08:42 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
I can sympathize with you. I'm a firm believer that all things mechanical are much more reliable when used regularly.

We got our motorhome in late 2019 from my wife's aunt and uncle, who lived in Texas at the time, after it sat unused for several years. Her uncle swore everything was in perfect working order when it was put into storage but it was anything but that when we picked it up. The tires were dry rotted, the batteries had to be replaced, the water pump didn't work, the water heater wouldn't light, the generator was inoperative, the gate valves were stuck closed, the water filters weren't completely emptied when it was winterized and the water filter and cartridge head as well as one of the water lines had frozen and split, the exterior was extremely oxidized, the inverter had gone out, all the fluids needed to be changed, and the list goes on and on. I've been able to do nearly all of the work myself so it hasn't been too bad financially. It's been a lot of work but being retired has its perks and I can pretty much work on it at my leisure.
AveryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 08:48 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodz View Post
Our 1999 Dutch Star DP which I have kept maintained pretty well or at least I thought. After not using it for 2020, it sat stored indoors I decided to change the oil and filters myself but take to the truck repair place for servicing the air dryer and a coolant flush with ELC coolant. Had them lube the chassis. I get it back and seems like all hell breaks loose. Put water in the tank as we were going to the Moto America race at Road America which requires boondocking. Water pump runs but no water flows. Trailer light connector has no power there at all. Air horn or city horn now donít work. Probably doesnít have anything to do with anything they did but makes me wonder. Everything worked when I put it away in the fall of 19. Iíll be searching the boards for answers. Owning a motorhome I am not alone in these problems. I sure as hell donít want to buy a new one at my age.
Turn your city fill valve to off. Water pump is pulling air from freshwater tank
Greenbarn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 08:55 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Check for little critter's that like to chew on electric wiring also.
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 09:43 AM   #5

Do you have any info on your chassis build date ; as Freightliner had major wiring changes Jan 4, 1999 .
99 Dutchstars built in the fall of 98 , will have big wiring differences to my Feb 99 chassis .
Freightliner build info , low on the wall to the drivers seat left , in front of the slide flange.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0809.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	331860  
Old 06-12-2021, 09:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbarn1 View Post
Turn your city fill valve to off. Water pump is pulling air from freshwater tank
OR , returning all flow to the fresh tank .
Old 06-12-2021, 09:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodz View Post
Our 1999 Dutch Star DP which I have kept maintained pretty well or at least I thought. After not using it for 2020, it sat stored indoors I decided to change the oil and filters myself but take to the truck repair place for servicing the air dryer and a coolant flush with ELC coolant. Had them lube the chassis. I get it back and seems like all hell breaks loose. Put water in the tank as we were going to the Moto America race at Road America which requires boondocking. Water pump runs but no water flows. Trailer light connector has no power there at all. Air horn or city horn now don’t work. Probably doesn’t have anything to do with anything they did but makes me wonder. Everything worked when I put it away in the fall of 19. I’ll be searching the boards for answers. Owning a motorhome I am not alone in these problems. I sure as hell don’t want to buy a new one at my age.
I didn’t use mine much in 2020 either. I went and drove it monthly, exercised the generator and ran the a/c etc to keep it fresh.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:12 AM   #8
D20

As I heard years ago when I had my boat: "No use is abuse"
Old 06-12-2021, 10:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by D20 View Post

Rust and Rot ; never sleep ! and for the most part neither do rodents .
Old 06-12-2021, 04:07 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I did, still no flow. Looks like there is a check valve on the pump. Always worked before. Tried a gallon jug of water like I do with anti freeze with the water heater bypass on valve A closed valve B open. No go, think the pump may be shot?
Old 06-12-2021, 04:11 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Do you have any info on your chassis build date ; as Freightliner had major wiring changes Jan 4, 1999 .
99 Dutchstars built in the fall of 98 , will have big wiring differences to my Feb 99 chassis .
Freightliner build info , low on the wall to the drivers seat left , in front of the slide flange.
Skip, mine is the earlier version with the all in one gage panel.
Old 06-12-2021, 04:50 PM   #12

OK so a 1998 chassis .

I have these wiring schematics for 1998 ; note that the trailer connector does not show , only a coach builder connector, with the notation that the rear cap lighting is supplied by the coach builder .
My 1999 schematics are the same in that area , by 2001 , the next schematics I've managed to attain , the trailer wiring and a rear fuse box show up .

I'm between rain showers , so I'll run out to the coach to confirm that the trailer connector is tied into the rear cap wiring and possibly the trailer connector is a Newmar install . BRB
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1998 Freightlier with ISB schematics.pdf (1.42 MB, 8 views)
Old 06-12-2021, 05:21 PM   #13

I'm back and confirm that the trailer wiring connector was part of the Newmar install and wires part of the rear cap harness added by Newmar.

First picture ; red circle is the end of the Freightliner wiring , harness in the blue is an adaptor harness ( Different one in use depending if Freightliner or Spartan chassis ) yellow circle the beginning of the Newmar rear cap harness.
Second picture ; red arrow , again the Freightliner connector and the yellow arrow the Newmar harness " trunk "of the wiring down to the trailer connector .

If your rear lights on the coach work and you have nothing at the trailer connector , you'll have to open up the Newmar harness to look for issues.
First pull the trailer connector apart and check for corroded wiring there.

EDIT : Got two versions of the first picture posted , and can't figure how to delete.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0422.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	331889   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0422 (640x360).jpg
Views:	16
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	331890  

Name:	Hydraulic solenoid.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	331891  
Old 06-12-2021, 05:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by D20 View Post
yup...boat owners know the importance of regular use.If not, you learn what "boat" stands for - Bring Out Another Thousand!
bluefin is offline   Reply With Quote