Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2021, 02:01 PM   #1

Cost of "Specials"?

Trying to get together an order for a Bay Star coach and wondered if anyone else could give a ballpark figure on "specials."

We want to remove those bows and metal decorations from the valances and have all the valances covered in the same fabric. This would be for a total of seven windows.

I know it would be hard to quote an exact number but I am just looking to get an idea to decide whether it's worth it or not.

Thanks for any help!
GeoNan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2021, 02:06 PM   #2

Every build will be different. It's best just to make a 'wish list'; get the quote and delete, if necessary.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 06:11 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Unless someone did exactly what you want to do, there is no way to guess the price. Even if you find someone, prices have increased on everything. We submitted our "specials" and they priced them out for us. I thought they were reasonably priced for the few things we had done.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:24 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Agree with Twogypsies. Doesn’t cost anything to find out the cost. We will pickup our new coach on Monday. We had 6-7 specials included in our build. Most I thought were worth the charge. A couple I thought to be high but in the full scheme of things we were OK. One that I requested was not worth it to me.

One of the reasons we went with Newmar was the fact that Newmar WOULD DO special request. Neither Tiffin nor Entegra would entertain the thought.
2012 JEEP Liberty 4WD,Demco Dominator, AF1
GW4607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:55 PM   #5

Thanks everyone---appreciate the input.
GeoNan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:13 PM   #6

Some of the specials are insane. Deleting the front license plate screws- $200. Adding an outlet-$250. Different sink in bath, $1000.

I decided to forgo newmar partly because of the insane prices. Also I found a better floor plan and specs for the same price in a tiffin.
Ebwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:03 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
While I agree that some of the prices are high you need to remember that it’s not just about the labor and materials used it’s about the change in the process of the entire build that needs to be altered.

In EB’s example of $200 to delete the front plate screws, the front cap needs have the changes communicated to the 3rd party that makes the cap, get it built through the just in time ordering process to assure that it hits the plant just before your coach starts its build. The factory doesn’t have space for too many of those huge pieces just laying around.

The smaller items like deleting the do dads on interior trim, in our case swag deletion,requires that checks are made when the window coverings are made by the group that sews them up. Again this is outside the normal lines run.

So while one small item seems like it’s not a big deal to us it is a huge deal for the line.

The special ordering program was one of the biggest reasons we bought a Newmar over the 2 main competitors when we ordered in early 2017.
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 03:00 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I am staring the customer order process on Friday for our first custom coach. Probably Dutch Star 4369. I am fully prepared to pay for everything I want changed and would be happy to get my final product just the way I want it.

If I feel Newmar's costs are high on a particular request I will consider my options such as doing it myself after delivery.

They are in a production business but offering custom products. They have to manage their processes and still make money. If they don't make money they wont be there in 2030 when we are ready to by another new coach.
RVStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 03:11 PM   #9

We had a total of 22 specials on our 22’ LA and I felt the fees were very fair.
The toughest one was the 1800.00 fee for the GE Adventium Convection oven.
But that’s what we wanted, so we’re paying it.
Being able to do specials, is what took us away from American Coach.
NewmarDave is offline   Reply With Quote