Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2021, 10:16 AM   #1

Cost of windshield replacement?

We need to have the cracked windshield on our 2017 Ventana replaced. It's covered by insurance, but they are balking at the estimate from our preferred installer. We would like to know what others have spent, to see if the estimate is truly out of the ballpark. Thanks in advance!

Susan
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2021, 10:38 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
$3300 2 years ago 2015 Fleetwood Discovery. Other estimates much higher. PITA, days wasted. Dump truck overloaded and no cover.
Old 06-24-2021, 10:50 AM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I know in California, they go between $3000 - $3500. The installer that does them in my area and for the local Newmar dealer, uses a specially set up flat bed truck. This way, he can back right up to the front of the coach and work from a raised platform, with the new windshield already at the correct height.

I would argue, with your insurance, they can pay to have it done right the first time, or pay to have it corrected later. You can't just go to any automotive glass repair and get this done. Those big windshields need to be glued in correctly, by someone who does them on a regular basis.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 10:54 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
$3600, last June, on our Thor Axis…

Regards,

Randy
groswald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 01:03 PM   #5

We had our windshield replaced in August of 2016 on our Ventana. It was $2,400+/- plus tax and done correctly at a large windshield repair Facility in Tacoma, Washington. The windshield was a direct purchase from Duncan glass so no mark up by the repair shop on the glass, other parts or freight. With the mark up and tax would have been about $3,500. 4 years ago. The same windshield was replaced again in 2018 by Safelite in Las Vegas for $3,200 all in. If your quote is in the $3,500 range I don't think your insurance should have any issues.
Runaway4002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 03:14 PM   #6

$3300 on our New Aire in Arizona this Spring.
KenneysSeeAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 10:56 PM   #7

I just had one replaced for 1500 but mine is a split windshield. If yours is a 1 piece full windshield, you may check with your agent to see if they are assuming a split windshield.
Old 06-24-2021, 11:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I know in California, they go between $3000 - $3500. The installer that does them in my area and for the local Newmar dealer, uses a specially set up flat bed truck. This way, he can back right up to the front of the coach and work from a raised platform, with the new windshield already at the correct height.. . .
Is your installer by chance Perry Auto Glass? I'm looking for someone to reset windshield. A person at Coach Glass said they handle almost all their RV jobs in So. Calif.
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 06:45 AM   #9

Thanks to all who have replied to our question. Apparently the quote we received was significantly excessive. -Paul and Susan
Old 06-25-2021, 02:16 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond View Post
Is your installer by chance Perry Auto Glass? I'm looking for someone to reset windshield. A person at Coach Glass said they handle almost all their RV jobs in So. Calif.
It's Dana Wilcox, Auto Glass. He does a good job and does all the dealer work for Tom Lindstrom. He can be a little flakey to reach.

Mobile - 805 428-1754
Office - 805 665-9905

There is also Final Touch Coach Repair in Santa Clarita. They have a good glass guy. Final Touch - 661 775-8375 They can probably refer you.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 04:34 AM   #11

I can’t say for the Ventana, but my DS it’s $4600 getting done in September, I think the cost in this case it’s really not as important as the experience, if you get someone that under estimate how difficult it’s to install after they started you may have a bigger problem on your hands.

Zzotte
Old 06-26-2021, 05:46 AM   #12

Iíve had 2 windshields replaced and went thru my Insurance Co, which went thru Duncan Services, below are the numbers

2017 DS 4018 - replaced in Hilton Head (2018) SC-$ 3800 was shipped from Newmar, with Newmar etched on glass so looks original

2019 DS 4328 - replaced at Newmar (2020) $ 4300

Both thru Insurance
Good luck
Old 06-26-2021, 06:06 AM   #13

4200. Year ago at NIRVC in Lewisville
Old 06-27-2021, 12:29 PM   #14

I had a bird strike in my previous Thor Hurricane motorhome. The insurance adjuster came out and looked it over and decided that both windshields should be replaced. They would pay for glass but I had to pay for weatherstrip. I agreed, then I found out the weatherstrip was special order and over $600.00.
The original estimate was $1200. per side not including install labor or weatherstrip.

That's when my nightmare began and lasted for almost 5 months. Insurance company recommend a company called RV Glass solutions. They are a broker that sells glass and finds a local installer to do the job.

So, they contact a company out of Riverside Missouri, the guy (Mike) comes out and tells me that he will have to come back because he needs more than one person to do the job. So, I asked him when and he told me after his other priority jobs get done. Pretty well pissed me off but I was at their mercy.

So, 3 days later a young woman (maybe 98 lbs soaking wet) shows up to install the glass. She had it in her van. Next thing comes Mike in a different truck. Mind you they claimed they needed 4 hours to do the replacement and they got to work at 2:30 on a Friday afternoon.

So, at 4:00 they tell me they have to go and the job is done. I look and can see the windshield is not in place and I could actually poke my finger through the gap from weather strip to frame. They blamed the gap on the motorhome manufacturer and told me that when I drove it it would wiggle into place. I said no but they left anyway.

So, now really beings the saga. I called the company only to get Mike who was a jerk. I called RV Glass solutions that was the broker and they had me go to a company in Shawnee Mission Kansas. I had to wait two weeks for appointment. I show up and lo and behold there is Mike again. He was fired from the Riverside company and was now working for this company. So again they argued that it is the fault of the motorhome manufacturer and the opening isn't correct. Anyway, they got the right hand side in but the left wasn't going in. It was determined that the glass was not manufactured properly. After another two weeks a new glass arrived. When they tried to install that glass they popped the other glass back out of the frame.

So when I got it back the weatherstrip was chewed up with the tools they used, there were still gaps in the weather strip and the job looked crappy. Again they blamed manufacturer and told me that's it. On the way home both sides popped out of frame. Mike refused to make it right.

So back to RV Glass solutions that also had no more concern than Mike. I contacted the insurance company to stop payment and was told the bill was already over $7k.

In the end after over four months I contacted a retired glass guy I knew and he came from Kansas City to me and did the install with my help. As he explained to me there is a sealant that has to be applied to the weather strip at the frame opening to help adhere the glass to the frame. None of the other yahoos had any clue.

So, it took us about 2 hours to reinstall the glass. I rented a scissor lift so we could be at the right height. Once the job was done I ran the coach for about 5 months and then found my current DSDP. I sold the Hurricane and purchased what I have now.

The new owner contacted me about 6 months later asking if the windshields had a warranty. Apparently something hit the driver side and was cracked. Unfortunately I couldn't help him only to give him my buddies number and hope he would help them.

Bottom line, take it to someone that knows how to install RV glass or you could wind up like I did.

I would never use RV Glass Solutions again, or Binswanger Glass in Shawnee Kansas, nor Premier Glass in Riverside Mo.
Fefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, wind, windshield