Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2015, 08:30 PM   #1

Cover on the front of Alaska bound

Do I really need a cover on the front of our Newmar38' DP when traveling to Alaska?
Davidej M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2015, 09:37 PM   #2

We were in Alaska last summer and the roads are real rough. For both your coach and the tow I recommend clear contact paper that is thick as you can get. The people who used this contact paper were best off. Weather in June and July and part on Aug. nice with only 3 days of rain. No problem with fuel but last year we were paying around 6$ a gallon on average most of the trip, Should be much better this year. Really enjoyed our trip and would recommend it for all Newmar owners. A trip of a life time. Happy travels.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidej M View Post
Do I really need a cover on the front of our Newmar38' DP when traveling to Alaska?
Did a caravan last summer.
Can't say I had any issue with the front end other than the windshield.
Tip, when approaching a construction zone (stretch of gravel) look ahead as far as you can see. If you see a semi or big truck coming, stop and wait for them to exit the gravel before you carry on. These guys drive like mad men and love to toss rocks at you. If you let them come out of the gravel, you Will save your windshield. Mine was perfect until we were on our way home coming into Whitehorse, about 1/2 mile from our CG, met a gravel truck coming toward us on a four lane paved road and Bam. DS windshield cracked.
You would do well to remove your full width mud flap and leave the two behind the rear duals. I ditched mine in Whitehorse after having my toad showered with tiny stone every day. Our wagon master suggested removing the flap and low and behold, no more stones on the toad. This after I had raised the flap to a minimum of 6" off the ground. Still would hit the ground on some of the dips and cause stones to fly up.
You need to have some type of protection for the front of your toad. I used a Blueox Karguard and custom windshield cover. Did a good job but the ultimate of all the toads in our group was the full front end cover. They are about $400 to buy but will save your toad from any rock damage and believe me there are rocks. Half our group had nothing and lost both headlights and destroyed their windshields.

Tow Car Shield

After all this, don't get in a hurry. Take your time and enjoy the ride. There are some rough spots especially in the Yukon before the AK border that can do some damage unless you slow down.

Great trip, enjoy.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:39 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I was there back in the 50's roads good in Alaska but the roads to get there , through Canada, will bang up your coach pretty well do as advised to protect your coach and tow.
It was required to have a spare tire back than also road service is far and between.
Enjoy your trip you will never forget that state, and safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:57 AM   #5

Went to Alaska a few years ago. To protect the front of the coach I bought a roll or two of the plastic bubble wrap and taped it to the coach front. Inexpensive and worked great. Did I need it? Who knows? X2 on the advice above. Go slowly and enjoy the trip. We spent the entire summer there: got there in late May and left in late Sep.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:14 PM   #6

Yes Yes Yes you need to try to protect the front of MH and toad. We went in 2012, the roads are not good and very dusty. Even if you go slow through the bad spots there is always someone that passes you and throws rocks everywhere. One of the best things for the painted area that I found was the roll of removable clear plastic made special for paint protection, Camping World has it and I think I found it on line also.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:45 PM   #7

I appreciate all the comments on protection of the MH and toad. Given all that you have to do to protect the Toad, how much will we actually use it?
Several people have said that the flap is a problem and should be removed. Without the flap wouldn't the rear tires still kick more rocks and debris out back? I guess where I am at is given all would it be easier to leave the toad at home?
Davidej M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:06 AM   #8

I wouldn't go with out my towed. I have a bra for the front of the car that's been there for the 5yrs. we've been on the road, nothing on the front of the coach. Best suggestion is either remove or strap up any full length mud flaps, they create more problems than they're worth. We went in 2012, spent 3 1/2 months wandering around, and had no problem. Just slow down and enjoy the trip.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:03 AM   #9

We went for the summer of 2013. I would NOT go without the toad. We took two overnight side trips leaving the coach in a CG to see places we didn't want to take the coach. One to Prudo Bay and a second to Dawson City over the Top of the World Highway. Also remember that should you have a breakdown of any kind the toad is your spare vehicle. I had a protector that stretched from the coach rear bumper to the toad front bumper that pretty much kept everything from getting to the toad front. It did get very dirty many times. The coach front got several small windshield dings but no cracks. The paint on the front got some small stone marks in the Diamond shield also but no marks that were easily noticed. I also put 1/2 inch hardware cloth under the side radiator over past the center of the oil pan to help prevent and rocks from getting to the radiator or fan blades. The only issues I had with the vehicles was the fan in the bath vent died (can't blame AK) and I had a flat on the jeep on the haul road to Prudoe Bay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidej M View Post
I appreciate all the comments on protection of the MH and toad. Given all that you have to do to protect the Toad, how much will we actually use it?
Several people have said that the flap is a problem and should be removed. Without the flap wouldn't the rear tires still kick more rocks and debris out back? I guess where I am at is given all would it be easier to leave the toad at home?
Old 04-23-2015, 09:35 AM   #10

The reason to remove the big mud flap is the repair on the roads where they have graveled. They use stones as big as marbles sometimes larger. The traffic makes ruts not real deep some some times two to three inches and the flap hits the area between the ruts. Throwing up gravel all over the coach. I ruined every a area of or toad. I will do things different next time. I will take the flap and tie it up so it won't hit the middle of the ruts. Put a protector on the tow bar protect the windshield with thin plywood padded so as not to hurt the glass or paint. The front had the diamond shield protectant film and did not get any damage on my coach. And I will slow down. The repair areas are marked and that will give you warnings as to where they are at. The repairs when we went about three years ago were at the end of the Alcan highway and probably only 150 miles. I would take the toad as there are places to go you won't want to take the coach. Have a good time.
Steve
Smosher is offline   Reply With Quote