Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #1

Coverter/Charger?

Have a 97 Dutch Star and last night went to bring slide back in because we are going to Myrle Beach tomorrow and all my batteries were dead. Unplugged MH and plugged in a charger and got motor and gen. running again. Noticed when I plugged in MH again I didn't get that little spark I always got when pugging in MH. Thinking Converter/Charger not working. Is there a fuse somewhere?
jettyjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2013, 10:20 AM   #2

Lots of them have a circuit breaker on the front. It's a small white disk shaped with a number printed. You press to reset.

If you have a make or model would really help. Lots of different inverter/chargers have been used over the years.

Do you know if it's been replaced or still the factory model?
Old 02-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #3

I'm pretty sure it's original because the previous owner only replaced things when they broke. Leaving for Myrtle Beach in the morning but will take a look tonight when I get home. Bringing a big commercial battery charger with me.
jettyjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:45 PM   #4

Here is a link to Newmar's comnet.

http://comnet2.newmarcorp.com/instan...Mode=&nextURL=

You might need to put in the chassis VIN to find your information.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:54 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I have had the same thing a few times. Check the breaker in the bedroom closet. If it is tripped and won't reset. Try going to your inverter, unplug it for 15-30 seconds then plug it back in. Then try the bedroom breaker again.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:55 AM   #6

Jetty jock, this is just an observation, and my advice is worth just what you payed for it. You mentioned the usual spark when plugging in the shore power. On my first motorhome I fried an invertor/convertor by not turning the breaker off prior to plugging and unplugging the shore power. Bad things can happen in a nano second if one of the hot connections connects before the other. I had a technician explain that to me and it made sense. I know this does not solve your immediate problem, but something to consider. It costs nothing but about one second.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
That "little spark" is probably the transfer switch that transfers power from the generator circuit to the inverter/charger circuit. Depending on what inverter you have, the transfer switch may or may not be a part of the unit. Anyway, as advised by previous posts, try resetting the breaker on the inverter/charger first. If that doesn't resolve your problem, your transfer switch may be the culprit. Does the charger work if the generator is on and operating? If so, and it does not work when on shore power, then, your transfer switch is most likely the issue you have to deal with. Best of luck resolving your problem.
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
NO, that "Little spark" is an indication that you are NOT FOLLOWOING THE RULES and turning off the park's breaker before you plug in or unplug, It is damaging your plug and the park's outlet.

It is caused by there being a load present, Usually said load is the converter.

Best advice. Depends on the converter.

Check the breaker, if, Like mine your converter is a plug in model, Make sure you did not accidently pull the plug (I do that from time to time) Then check the converter's fuses Then it gets to "professional assistance may be needed".
Old 02-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #9

Jetty, I don't know if this might apply, but today I discovered if the store/use switch is in store position, the converter will not charge the batteries, on my 2000 Dutch Star DP. The store switch disconnects the converter/charger from the coach batteries, even when the BIRD connects the coach and chassis batteries together.BTW, does jettyjock pertain to red right returning?
ARTWERKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:17 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you have coach plugged into a 110 outlet at home the Bird System will maintain all you batteries as long as the battery cut off switch is on as ART said.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote