Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2019, 01:16 PM   #1

Crack in the wall

Just got back from a short trip to OBX with our BSS and noticed this crack below one of the slides. How worried should I be? I have an appointment next month to bring the coach out to the factory to hopefully complete the baggage door saga, and now this developed. After a year and about 10,000 miles I can honestly say I'm not enjoying the flavor of the Newmar Kool Aid.

Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2019, 03:13 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I don’t think cracks like those are all that unusual. We had this one repaired under warranty at the factory. They did a great job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EDD5AF5A-80AE-4E63-A8DC-7F9725778272.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	313.9 KB
ID:	236090  
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:45 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I agree, not that unusual. I had a couple of stress cracks repaired on the Canyon Star rear cap, they never reappeared.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:59 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Massparanoia,
I'd be worried enough to call Newmar and get it added to the list of repairs. Make sure you know how they are going to repair it and that you agree.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:02 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I’ve had a few cracks, but nothing that bad. Two were repaired successfully.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massparanoia View Post
Just got back from a short trip to OBX with our BSS and noticed this crack below one of the slides.

I had no idea that Newmar's would have those kinds of cracks. This certainly is disturbing new information and takes a bit of the shine off the brand for us. Are these cracks common for all models and all recent years?
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry davis View Post
I don’t think cracks like those are all that unusual. We had this one repaired under warranty at the factory. They did a great job.
Did it fall under the realm of the 1 year warranty or the 5 year structural warranty?
Old 02-26-2019, 03:37 AM   #8

Not that unusual ... usually occurs at the corner of the slide .... like a drywall crack at a doorway in a house. Lot of flex on the length of an RV. Don't know why they don't put a seam and molding at those corners.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:25 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Massparanoia,
I'd be worried enough to call Newmar and get it added to the list of repairs. Make sure you know how they are going to repair it and that you agree.
I agree with Gary. To me, that should not be normal. My KSDP is 15 years old and no cracks.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 06:28 AM   #10

Well I just heard back from the Bay Star rep, and they’re telling me that the crack is my fault, that I must have towed something heavy or jacked up the RV using the trailer hitch, neither of which I have done. I’m becomeing less and less impressed with their customer service with each interaction.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:17 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
This should be covered by the Newmar structural warranty. Go up the chain of command until someone with intelligence will evaluate the problem.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
This should be covered by the Newmar structural warranty. Go up the chain of command until someone with intelligence will evaluate the problem.
Any suggestions on who to contact over there other than emailing customer service or the product line rep?
Old 02-26-2019, 09:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massparanoia View Post
Any suggestions on who to contact over there other than emailing customer service or the product line rep?
Use an old fashion telephone and demand to speak to someone with authority. then get his or her email after you talk to them and you are satisfied you have someone with intelligents to send pictures to.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Use an old fashion telephone and demand to speak to someone with authority. then get his or her email after you talk to them and you are satisfied you have someone with intelligents to send pictures to.
Spoke to them on the phone today. They’re gonna reserve final judgement until they can look at it in person, which is understandable. There’s only so much you can garner from a few cell phone pics. I’m hoping that the judgement rules in my favor, as I don’t see how else this could be anything but a structural defect somewhere.