Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2021, 02:20 PM   #1

Cracked Tile

I just bought a 2007 Mountain Aire. It has a beautiful floor except for one severely cracked tile. I called Newmar hoping to get a replacement, but they said the tile has been discontinued and don't have any information other than it's 14" x 14". It actually measures 13.5" x 13.5".
It seems like an odd size. If I could find out the thickness, I could probably find something close in a larger size and have it cut down.
I'm pretty sure the color scheme is Tussah.
Does anyone have experience with replacement tiles for the older Newmars?
Thank you,
Chris
cjatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2021, 04:08 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Have you checked all the storage bays thoroughly, as Newmar always leaves 3-4 pieces in the coach when they're built.

Next thought....is there one somewhere under a cabinet, sofa or chair that isn't visible that could carefully be removed and used to replace the broken one.

All long shots....just throwing stuff out there.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 11:09 PM   #3

You might try some RV salvage yards. The extra tiles might have still been in a scrapped RV.
Old 02-23-2021, 05:21 AM   #4
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Take a picture of your floor tile and post here. Perhaps someone here may have an extra tile. My coach came with four extra tiles and then Newmar gave me three more after they replaced one.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:41 AM   #5

I appreciate all the input.
I'm hesitant to try to take up another tile yet. As a last resort, I might try that but hopefully will get something that is a fairly close match first. The way I do things, I'll be sending another post needing two new tiles
I didn't think about RV graveyards or even know they existed. I'll see if I can locate one.
I'm attaching a couple of pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mountain Aire Floor 1a.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	318992   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mountain Aire Floor 2a.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	318993  

Old 02-23-2021, 11:40 PM   #6

Search this forum for the big salvage yards, and start calling. One or two tiles wouldn't be that expensive to ship. My understanding is these are installed with a 2 part epoxy. I did that on some tile in S&B. Not a big deal, but you just don't want to use regular mortor.
Old 02-24-2021, 02:35 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjatx View Post
I appreciate all the input.
I'm hesitant to try to take up another tile yet. As a last resort, I might try that but hopefully will get something that is a fairly close match first. The way I do things, I'll be sending another post needing two new tiles
I didn't think about RV graveyards or even know they existed. I'll see if I can locate one.
I'm attaching a couple of pictures.
Colaw RV Sales
10389 Cimarron Rd
Carthage, Mo

877-548-2125
Old 02-25-2021, 01:14 AM   #8

Once you get a few tiles (if they have more than one), I would get someone who does tiling if you aren't comfortable.

It isn't that difficult, if you are patient. Slowly, get the grout from around the damaged tile out. Stay to the damaged tile side of the grout line. I would cut the tile apart and take out in small pieces - less chance of damaging the subfloor.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:06 AM   #9

Another solve might be to change out extra tiles in a pleasing patern to a contrasting color.
I know itís a larger job , but you might love the upgrade since your going to go through the work anyways.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:19 AM   #10

To reiterate Dutchstar Don's point - look all over the basement compartments for the 3-4 extra floor tile Newmar puts in every coach when its built. Look under the slide out trays, under the bed. Can you contact the previous owner to see if he had used them or maybe has them in his garage??

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 04:08 PM   #11

I appreciate all the input. I'll dig around the RV to see if I can find anything. I also sent emails with pictures to a few of the larger salvage yards.
I also found a pretty close match in a larger tile. If I can't locate the tiles in the unit, I'll buy a carton of the larger tiles and have them cut down.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:11 PM   #12
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good luck in your search. I was hoping when you posted the picture somebody would have a couple extra.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:59 PM   #13

They look like they would be easy to match at a large tile supplier
outlawten5 is online now   Reply With Quote