Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2019, 04:04 PM   #1

Cracked tiles on full wall slide.....

Has anyone else had floor tiles crack on their slides? I first noticed one tile with a crack about a year ago and now there are a total of 4 tiles cracked. One has multiple cracks and is protruding up about a 1/4 inch in places. IMHO using brittle tiles on a flexing slide seems like a poor choice for a floor covering. This is on a 2016 DS 3736. Thanks. John
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2019, 05:17 PM   #2
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Call Newmar. There were some issues with the 2016 full wall slide. Because of what I read on this forum, I waited to buy a 2017. I still had a problem with the slide tilting down. Newmar changed the steel supports on both ends. After they did this I had three tiles break. They replaced the tiles and everything has been good for the last couple years. You may want to search the forum. I don't recall if your model was affected by the problems.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:28 PM   #3

I took it back to NEWMAR in December, 2017 to have the full wall slide rebuilt by them under warranty. Have had tiles crack since then. Taking it to Independence RV in Winter Garden, FL late September to have them look at the problem for NEWMAR.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:38 PM   #4

I have to think that putting ceramic tiles in a flexing vehicle has to be a long term bad idea. But it sounds good.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:15 PM   #5

i was able to catch this photo of my coach after a quick humidity rise in the morning...the interesting cross bracing pattern in the photo, at the bottom of the FWS, is what newmar must have gone with after the 2016 issues....

no matter what they do at the factory with a 2016, they can't be replicating that, i don't think...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ghosting.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	465.3 KB
ID:	257606  
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:35 PM   #6
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngflyer View Post
I took it back to NEWMAR in December, 2017 to have the full wall slide rebuilt by them under warranty. Have had tiles crack since then. Taking it to Independence RV in Winter Garden, FL late September to have them look at the problem for NEWMAR.
Newmar has treated me very well. If you are having a problem because of a design issue, I am sure they will take care of it.

There was some stress in the floor after they made the change to my slide. If that is the case with your slide, I am sure they will make it right. No problems for me since.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:39 PM   #7
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by willipaul View Post
i was able to catch this photo of my coach after a quick humidity rise in the morning...the interesting cross bracing pattern in the photo, at the bottom of the FWS, is what newmar must have gone with after the 2016 issues....

no matter what they do at the factory with a 2016, they can't be replicating that, i don't think...
Nice colors!
Old 08-22-2019, 04:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptw View Post
Nice colors!
thank you
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:50 AM   #9

We have the same year and model as yours. Originally, the tiles along the edge of the slide, main floor, were chipping on the tops from the slide actuation. After several trips to the dealer to have it rectified with no satisfaction, I called Newmar and made an appointment at the factory. The coach was out of warranty at that point, but we ended up staying a week there and they replaced the entire superstructure of the slide room and fixed all the other little items on our "list". The bill,...? No Charge. No issues since.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide