Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2013, 05:41 AM   #1

Cracks in Front Cap- 2013 DS

I was waxing the coach for the first time the other day and discovered several cracks in the front cap . There were some right by the ICC marker light on the passenger side and several about the 3 center icc marker lights . I'll be heading to the dealer to see what they can do. In the 8 months we've owned it, it's been in the shop for repairs for nearly 3 months .
You might want to check your caps for similar issues ... here's a pic of the cracks on the passenger side , but it's had to see due to the glare ( no doubt as a result of my outstanding wax job :-) )
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2013, 05:55 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If its the white lines I can see above the light looks like its in the paint coat that's splitting.
Would think it would require a new paint job to fix.
May want to send some pictures to Newmar repair for their opinion on how it should be resolved.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:57 AM   #3

Looks like it's been stepped on.
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:47 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
I was waxing the coach for the first time the other day and discovered several cracks in the front cap . There were some right by the ICC marker light on the passenger side and several about the 3 center icc marker lights . I'll be heading to the dealer to see what they can do. In the 8 months we've owned it, it's been in the shop for repairs for nearly 3 months .
You might want to check your caps for similar issues ... here's a pic of the cracks on the passenger side , but it's had to see due to the glare ( no doubt as a result of my outstanding wax job :-) )
These maybe stress cracks; you should call NewMar and request that they fix this for you. I am going to factory in May 2014 for stress repairs on my end cap. You may have to push to get this repaired under warranty; mine was out of warranty at the time but it is being fixed under warranty.
Good Luck!
2011 Dutch Star #4344 - 2014 Buick Enclave W/Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and base-plate
SMI Air Force One brake
Terry43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Make sure you check back cap as I had the same problem on

a Gulf Stream coach front and back caps several years ago..!!Both caps had to be repaired and painted....

gtony 2012 ERA
gtony1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtony1942 View Post
Make sure you check back cap as I had the same problem on

a Gulf Stream coach front and back caps several years ago..!!Both caps had to be repaired and painted....

gtony 2012 ERA

Yep-- the rear cap had cracks in it too, which were repaired on the first go back to the dealer. To his credit, he found them, not me, and contacted the factory to get authorization to fix them. Makes me wonder how long the front cracks have been there ??
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:07 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to millerj Send a message via Yahoo to millerj
I also have the small white hair line cracks on the front cap around the marker lights on passenger side on my 2012 Ventana 4324. It was at the factory for repairs in October which included replacing the tape between the front cap and roof so I am wondering if someone didn't climb on to the roof from a ladder stepping on this area.

On the back cap I noticed a raised place like a bubble about the size of a half dollar about three feet down from the roof that I never noticed before. Didn't see anything else on the back.

I have an appointment to get the front cap and my slide fixed in May.
millerj is offline   Reply With Quote