Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2018, 11:14 AM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our '02 DSDP had a switch for the engine heater along with the other controls up front over the passenger side front cabinets.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2018, 11:58 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Our '02 DSDP had a switch for the engine heater along with the other controls up front over the passenger side front cabinets.
I looked there and there was nothing for the engine block heater. I also looked all around the dash.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I looked there and there was nothing for the engine block heater. I also looked all around the dash.
How about a call to Newmar or your dealer?
Old 01-13-2018, 12:51 PM   #18

Reubenray, the only engine block "switch" that I have in my Ventana is a circuit breaker (in my circuit breaker panel) labeled "engine block heater". I leave this circuit breaker in the on position and the cord in the power bay unplugged. When I need to use the engine block heater, I simply open the power bay and plug the cord into the provided outlet. On travel days, when the temperature is below 50, I plug this in 1-2 hours before getting underway, making sure to unplug while I am breaking camp just prior to departure. And has been said, use a light foot until your engine has reached normal operating temperature.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post
Reubenray, the only engine block "switch" that I have in my Ventana is a circuit breaker (in my circuit breaker panel) labeled "engine block heater". I leave this circuit breaker in the on position and the cord in the power bay unplugged. When I need to use the engine block heater, I simply open the power bay and plug the cord into the provided outlet. On travel days, when the temperature is below 50, I plug this in 1-2 hours before getting underway, making sure to unplug while I am breaking camp just prior to departure. And has been said, use a light foot until your engine has reached normal operating temperature.
The temperature here will not get above 45 today or tomorrow. It will get down in the upper 20's tonight and tomorrow night. I leave Monday morning for Tampa. Where I live at I usually start up the motorhome and once it get the air built up I would drive out into the street and park to hook up the car. I usually leave the engine running while doing this which takes about 10 minutes. The engine block heater is plugged up and the breaker is on. Once we get back into the warmer temperatures I will unplug it.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:06 PM   #20

Cranking LE's Cummins 360 Engine in Cold Weather?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
The temperature here will not get above 45 today or tomorrow. It will get down in the upper 20's tonight and tomorrow night. I leave Monday morning for Tampa. Where I live at I usually start up the motorhome and once it get the air built up I would drive out into the street and park to hook up the car. I usually leave the engine running while doing this which takes about 10 minutes. The engine block heater is plugged up and the breaker is on. Once we get back into the warmer temperatures I will unplug it.

Reubenray, please re-read post number 14 (Dennis45). This info matches what I recall from Freightliner School part one. When on shore or generator power, plug in your engine block heater a few hours before starting your engine. Once your engine is started, you no longer need to run the block heater. Unplug it.

In Freightliner school we were cautioned against excessively idling modern diesel engines (the kind with DEF), to avoid fouling your exhaust cleaning system (the diesel particulate filter if I remember correctly).

After airing up and pulling in my full wall slide (then untethering from shore power if applicable), I position the coach to couple my toad then turn off my engine during the coupling process.

Here is a phone number for a 24/7 Freightliner help [1-800-FTL-HELP]. You will need the last 6 numbers of your VIN when talking with them. They are very helpful.

The forum is here to help as well.

Travel safely.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:42 PM   #21

Cranking LE's Cummins 360 Engine in Cold Weather?

Ray, your breaker is in the half bath. In the cabinet on the outside wall over the toilet. Open the black plastic door. It is labeled.
See you Tuesday.
Bill Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:32 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hunt View Post
Ray, your breaker is in the half bath. In the cabinet on the outside wall over the toilet. Open the black plastic door. It is labeled.
See you Tuesday.
How cold did it get if you are at home? It is 25 degrees here.

We will be in the afternoon arrivals on Tuesday. See you there!!
Old 01-20-2018, 08:11 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinfla View Post
BTW, on our coach, if you turn the block heater breaker off it also kills one phase to the shore power monitor up front. It will then show normal voltage on one leg, but no voltage on the other. I leave the block heater plugged in and the breaker on. Just leave the switch for the heater off in the control panel.
I experienced this and you are right on the money! Great advice.
snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:58 AM   #24

I had this plugged in and the breaker on the day I left being it was in the mid 20's. I unplugged it at our first stop which was warmer. I do not have a switch, so I left it unplugged with the breaker on.

My only experience with this is when I had a diesel company truck many years ago and I had to plug in an extension cord for the block heater.

Tags
cold weather, cummins, engine