Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2021, 01:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflybox View Post
Newmar feedback.

As designed. If I change anything, they won't warranty.

I received some pictures of other Superstars that are 40' and they are configured differently.

Essentially, if you feel this is a problem, modify on your own or buy a different coach.
SO, they didn't say anything about the design was to meet RVIA standards?

Because of the Magnuson-Moss ACT (law) they cannot refuse warranty without them PROVING a modification CAUSED the failure being claimed against their warranty. Don't let them lead you to believe otherwise. If the specs you mentioned in an earlier post are from Oasis, it is NEWMAR that has "designed" the exhaust incorrectly in the first place.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2021, 03:35 PM   #16
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The warranty thing is a bunch of crap. If Oasis is okay with a shorter design, how would Newmar void the warranty. Newmar use to put mufflers on the system, yet went cheap and took them off. How did that affect the warranty.

Lastly, will Newmar cover the repair every time that thing gets ripped off on a driveway or railroad track.....I'll bet they'll balk at that.

Rather than be proactive and fix a bad design, you get lazy employees who fall back on CYA answers, so they can move onto the next email they want to dispose of. They may end up fixing 100's of these if they become an issue, just because someone was too lazy to review the issue appropriately.

You saw the changes I made to my 2014 DS. The first thing I did to my 2019 DS, was to add a muffler and adjust the piping closer to the body. I always toss the chrome tips and install SS pencil tips.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 07:32 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
SO, they didn't say anything about the design was to meet RVIA standards?

Because of the Magnuson-Moss ACT (law) they cannot refuse warranty without them PROVING a modification CAUSED the failure being claimed against their warranty. Don't let them lead you to believe otherwise. If the specs you mentioned in an earlier post are from Oasis, it is NEWMAR that has "designed" the exhaust incorrectly in the first place.
They didn't mention specifically.
mtflybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 07:44 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
The warranty thing is a bunch of crap. If Oasis is okay with a shorter design, how would Newmar void the warranty. Newmar use to put mufflers on the system, yet went cheap and took them off. How did that affect the warranty.

Lastly, will Newmar cover the repair every time that thing gets ripped off on a driveway or railroad track.....I'll bet they'll balk at that.

Rather than be proactive and fix a bad design, you get lazy employees who fall back on CYA answers, so they can move onto the next email they want to dispose of. They may end up fixing 100's of these if they become an issue, just because someone was too lazy to review the issue appropriately.

You saw the changes I made to my 2014 DS. The first thing I did to my 2019 DS, was to add a muffler and adjust the piping closer to the body. I always toss the chrome tips and install SS pencil tips.
Agree 100%. No engineering team will admit a mistake like this, and deal with the backlash and expenses. I suspect, but obviously don't know, if I do damage the exhaust, it would be a "user" vs design error.

I asked a local shop to take a look to see what they can do to re-route. I have to think this can be improved upon like Don had to do. Question will be $$$.

Regardless, in the meantime, I'm heading north to visit some trout fishing areas I've always taken my Airstream to. I'll find out shortly how big of an issue I really have.
Old 04-30-2021, 10:24 PM   #19

On our 18 LA we moved the exhaust up almost 4 inches had over 2 inches of gap between the bottom of the cabinets and top of the Oasis exhaust. Found on the end they used a muffler clamp/hanger that attaches vertical so they couldn't raise the end any higher but by putting a horizontal clamp could then raise the tip too. Did this in the first couple months of purchase and looks a lot better not having the Oasis exhaust hanging so low.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 08:25 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflybox View Post
They didn't mention specifically.
I was just guessing they would "blame" RVIA rules for the design. RVIA has construction standards that coach builder members are supposed to follow. Things like "where" exhaust gases are allowed to be vented, in relation to slide out placements, etc.

I'm not saying what you have is correct, or defending Nemar's design, especially since the Oasis specs seem to have been ignored.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 08:58 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
On our 18 LA we moved the exhaust up almost 4 inches had over 2 inches of gap between the bottom of the cabinets and top of the Oasis exhaust. Found on the end they used a muffler clamp/hanger that attaches vertical so they couldn't raise the end any higher but by putting a horizontal clamp could then raise the tip too. Did this in the first couple months of purchase and looks a lot better not having the Oasis exhaust hanging so low.
Newmar Man
What kind of outfit did the work for you?
Old 05-01-2021, 03:32 PM   #22

After building race cars it wasn't that hard of a job. It was a 3 to 4 hour job from start to finish. Did the same job on our previous Essex, but did wrap the exhaust with exhaust wrap.
Newmar Man
Old 05-01-2021, 06:51 PM   #23
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Mark.....If you're going to have the work done, you might think about adding the muffler at the same time. Newmar use to install the muffler as standard equipment. At some point they quit. It doesn't make a huge difference, but it does quiet it down some. ITR (Oasis) sells the muffler, but many of us bought one the same size from Summit Racing. Here's a link to the muffler install.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/i-f...er-470008.html
Old 05-01-2021, 10:42 PM   #24

With a muffler it would be a little less noise but it would still have the exhaust hanging down.
Newmar Man
Old 05-02-2021, 05:43 PM   #25
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You can set it up so the exhaust is right up against the bottom of the coach, with just a small air gap. I did it on both Dutch Stars. Was still able to tuck everything up and out of the way.
Old 05-02-2021, 07:54 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Thanks Don, and for posting the earlier thread as well. Will add the muffler to the list. Makes me feel a little better others have dealt with this issue. Stunning for this kind of coin to have to do it...

I'm hoping to discuss options with the renovator tomorrow. Will revert to the group what I find out and next steps.

Don, are you happy with the SS pencil tips? Did you do for all three exhausts? They look great. Even my wife wondered if they forgot something on ours with just cut off pipes for the Onan and Oasis - looks pretty crappy/unfinished in comparison. Newmar needs their interior design team to walk around the exterior a bit.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:21 PM   #27
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It's a personal thing for me. I never liked slash cut tips as they looked unfinished and old school to me. Every motor home and even my trucks, get pencil tip type exhaust tips.

Newmar uses chrome tips and it doesn't take much for them to get pitted and rusty. The only issue is finding the odd size (ID) tips that fit the generator and Oasis in stainless steel. I eventually found them on Ebay....you just have to hunt a little.

I know it hurts to have to make changes on a $400K coach to make things right, but many will drive the coach away from the dealer and never notice small things that could be done better or look better. Because I'm so anal, both the gen exhaust and Oasis exhaust hung too low for me, and I hated the tips. A couple of hours of fidgeting with them and they look better. I also turn all the u-bolts, upward so the studs/nuts face the underside of the coach. A cleaner look. So you will spend some additional money to make things the way YOU want them.

Too bad you don't live near me, I would just do the work for you, in about an hour or so. It's so hard to get someone to do custom work that they don't have a book or site to figure out what the bill should be.
Old 05-21-2021, 01:32 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
While I was scheduled to have the poorly routed Oasis exhaust re-routed next week anyways, bad karma...

Inches matter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inches Matter.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	350.6 KB
ID:	329039  

Tags
exhaust