RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2016, 11:21 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Credit card for commercial truck stops?

When refueling my Ventana LE at commercial truck stops (Flying J, Love's, TA, etc.), the pump card reader on the truck side usually won't accept VISA or AmEx cards and I have to go inside to prepay. Anyone know if there is a commercial-type credit card that RVers can get that will work at those pumps?

TJ

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2016, 11:30 PM   #2

We use a Pilot/Flying J Good sam credit card. I swipe card, enter a 4digit pin and pump my fuel, receive receit and leave without ever going inside. Also saves 8cent off of cash price.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:44 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
One word of caution, we used a card at a Flying J comm pump outside Omaha and it put a $500 hold. Called manager and was told that is a common practice as the bill for an empty truck and refer unit can be that amount.

My opinions may be highly distorted and closer than they appear.
nickdarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:45 AM   #4

mastercard
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:50 AM   #5

We have used the Flying J card with the pin and it's convenient. When we use other facilities we have to go inside, prepay and then go back into the facility to settle up.

2009 Fleetwood Expedition 38F
2014 RAM 1500 Quad Cab Ecodiesel Toad
2013 Scion XB Toad

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forumk
Old 06-02-2016, 06:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
We use a Pilot/Flying J Good sam credit card. I swipe card, enter a 4digit pin and pump my fuel, receive receit and leave without ever going inside. Also saves 8cent off of cash price.

X2... May not be the lowest price along the interstate but I like the dedicated RV lanes. I get the .06 discount on my gasser.
allegro36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:28 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
When we set up our Pilot/Flying J card we were given a choice of having it paid directly from our bank account or billed like a normal credit card. We are charged directly from our bank account and are not subject to a "hold" for an amount we didn't purchase. I think a debit type transaction sometimes may put a hold of type. I do like the Flying J fuel stops and like it has been said, you don't have to go in or mess with a pump stopping at 100.00. I think you will like the convenience. jmo mark
Old 06-02-2016, 06:47 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My Pilot/FJ card has a $1000 limit. You can pay any time and reset it also a manager can over ride the limit if you ask.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:02 AM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
I believe Pilot/Flying J is the only truck stop that has a pay at the pump card. I haven't heard of Loves, TA, or the others offering a card that does that. I wish they would because I've had to stop using PFJ in California due to them using B20 diesel.
exgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:18 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
My Visa 3% discount CC and then swiping my Good Sam card 3Ę discount has worked at all Flying J/Pilot with a RV Island and pay at the pump. No need to go inside.

I have no need to use the Truck lanes and do that long walk inside and wait in line to get pumps started and the walk back out to fill and then the walk back in to get a receipt.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by exgman View Post
I believe Pilot/Flying J is the only truck stop that has a pay at the pump card. I haven't heard of Loves, TA, or the others offering a card that does that. I wish they would because I've had to stop using PFJ in California due to them using B20 diesel.
Cummins has approved all their engines for B20 so I don't understand your problem.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:23 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a pilot/flyj card, but noticed that when they combined they raised their fuel prices at the Az Cali border station to higher than Kingman. So, stopped using them. I can get fuel for the same price if not cheaper in Kingman and that includes their discount. Then they raised the dump fees too. Since I'm a 26' gasser I can use the regular pumps so I no longer go out of my way to go there. Love's is usually the same price.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:28 AM   #13

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
Send a message via Yahoo to cbramsey
I am another one who really likes using the Pilot/Flying J GoodSam card. Because I recently purchased my coach, I still have "Elite" GoodSam status which gives me 9 cents off the cash price for diesel.
2015 Ford F450 Platinum DRW towing a 2017 Heartland Landmark 365 Charleston Me, Wife, "Canine Navigator" Lucy [Chihuahua/Jack Russell Terrier mix] & ďFeline NavigatorsĒ Pixel & Pollux [Manx], Maggie, Iris, Pepper & Max [DSH] Mystique [DLH]
cbramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
Same here

twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote