Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2014, 12:54 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Cruise Control Quit Working

My cruise control just refused to engage at the start of this 1300 mile trip, where it had been working without any problems in the past. Having to drive 1300 miles without the ability to rest my foot sounds grueling.

My first thought is that a fuse blew, but have not found a cruise control fuse and cannot find one listed on any of the electrical diagrams. I did check all fuses that I thought could be related and did not find any blown fuses.

Has anyone solved this problem or knows any trouble shooting procedure? I am currently in Las Vegas at Las Vegas RV Resort for a couple of days and might have try a mobile RV service, but would hate to have them out for a simple fix and a hefty bill. A mobile service would be a better solution since we are parked.

I would also like to know if anyone can recommend someone in the area that would be reliable to fix a problem like this just in case I can't solve the problem myself.

I do not want to complete the trip without cruise control....
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2014, 01:00 AM   #2

Ron, is your coach on a Freightliner or Spartan chassis?
Last year it was tires , this year cruise control , you just can't buy a break can you.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:28 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan.... Oh, you remember the blow out fiasco...

We were just reminiscing about that about 6 hours ago as we passed the infamous Quartzsite repair shop yard where we lived for 7 days last June while waiting for the repair to be completed.

BTW... the cruise control isn't the only problem as I discovered this evening when leveling. The HWH jacks are being stubborn and don't want to extend fully. I will have to investigate that tomorrow. The hydraulics sound ugly; groan and hiss bubble but don't push them down very far. I have suspected some sort of problem with the hydraulics since I bought it. But they have worked, just not smoothly and reliably.

Oh well, haven't had some of the more serious problems that others have had... (yet).
Old 06-02-2014, 04:38 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
thats a nice park, Las Vegas RV Resort, a little noisy by the freeway wall, great pool area, work out room, and a full size 18 hole putting course, we stayed there for a winter a few years back, there was a road runner that would come by the cafe in the morning for some snacks and crumbs
JEEPOHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:43 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
For those that maybe interested in this sort of problem, here is an interim update.

Newmar/Spartan tells me there is no fuse in the cruise control circuit, and the "brains" of the circuit is the Engine Control Unit (ECU, which they tell me is a red control unit mounted on the engine. Spartan suggested that I have Cummins check for proper data signals from/at the ECU using their software (sounds expensive). But I guess I will have to bite the bullet and pay since I cannot live without cruise control.

I will see if it's practical to have it checked here in Las Vegas, or wait until I get home.

Will post an update if and when I get it fixed.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:52 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't know if it works the same on a diesel vs. gas but I was having that problem of it not working too. The cruise actuator on our coach is located with the brake pedal. I know you can take it off and readjust it ( the cramped area under there won't let me fit though ) so I just put slight pressure on the brake pedal pulling it upward with my foot (you don't have to leave your foot in that possition) and have solved the cruise not working problem. Give it a try may be the same on yours. Good Luck.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:02 AM   #7

Ron, my cruise control would cut out any time the roads were wet, traced back to the brake light switches, having corrosion between the terminals. Connections were exposed on my F/L chassis, I know wet roads aren't your problem with temps around 100 down there right now, but cobwebs and dust could be. I cleaned between the terminals and applied di-electric grease , no problems for 3 years. Also F/L has an interpreter module between the wiring from the stalk mounted cruise switches and the dash harness, you may want to check the connections there, Spartan may have something similar. Module is 1 1/2" cube, under the dash.
Good luck, I've been on all the routes from Vegas north, and wouldn't care to be on any of them without cruise.
Edit: the reason behind the brake light switches , was the ECM only needs to see a trace of power in the brake light circuit, to over ride the cruise. ECM will shut off cruise long before there would be enough power to light the brake lights.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:38 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
The first thing Spartan asked was "...are the brake lights stuck on?"

Of course, they were not, but that's along the lines of what has been mentioned here. I have not been able to find a switch on/or around the brake pedal so I think mine is controlled electronically somehow. I also tried to find some modules under the dash in line with the "stalk switch" wiring, but everything is bundled and wire tied so it's hard to trace the wiring even though I have the color codes and wire numbers. I might try looking under the dash again for module, but it is ever so hard to get under there with the driver's seat in the way. I have to snake my way around the seat, steering column, pedals, and then it hard to get back out when you are old and stiff...
Old 06-02-2014, 11:46 AM   #9

Brake light switches, 2 on an air brake system , are air pressure activated, mine are on the side of the foot valve under the floor. Easiest access with gen set out.
2, because , if you loose all air on one half of the brake system , the other switch will still function to shut off cruise and activate the brake lights.

Edit: once you find the switches , check for any trace voltage on the cold side of the switch, even 1/10th of a volt will tell the ECM to shut things down.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:26 PM   #10

Just a suggestion. Try unplugging all the connectors at the DC power modules (Spartan side) Then re-plug them back in. Do one at a time so you won't forget where they go. This fixed my cruise/power seat etc., twice.

Peter
Old 06-02-2014, 03:37 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Do you have a Smart Wheel here is some trouble shooting pfd.
I thought it might be the brake switch also must just be for gas coach.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:51 PM   #12

Remeo,
If you have the cruise control on a stalk at the steering wheel, you might have the same problem that I have had. We have a F/L chassis. The contact points within the stalk itself wear over time. They get dirty. I took the stalk off the steering wheel assembly and cleaned the contracts by flooding the button on the end of the stalk at "sets" the speed with an electrical solvent. Worked ok.
Good luck. Hope this might help.
JimB
JBDISCOVERY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:41 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Had a problem with mine a couple of years ago. Took it to a Spartan service center. They told me I needed a new system. When I picked it up, they had found a wire disconnected under the dash. You would think that would be the first thing they would check, but cost me about 5 hours of labor. I have also had some issues with HWH Jacks. Make sure to check the grounds. Most of my issues were solved there.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:19 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Some years back, this problem was solved by replacing a burned out tail light bulb. It was on a Class C, but, it is the thing I always check...just in case.

JoAnn
ka7suz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise control