RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2019, 05:46 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
CS Front TV HDMI access

I wanted to add Apple TV (HDMI) to a port on the front TV, Sony.
But, the HDMI ports cannot be reached from any place I can see.
Newmar sent me some weird instruction sheet about how the TV cabinet is built, and it just does not show how to remove the rear cover for access.
Anyone have experience adding HDMI cables to the TV?
Probably would awant them on the rear also, but guess I will work n one first.
Thanks

2013 Canyon Star 3911

John in Miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2019, 05:56 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
on other threads folks have talked about having to slice through silicon to get access. i haven't tried yet myself.

New2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:18 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2road View Post
on other threads folks have talked about having to slice through silicon to get access. i haven't tried yet myself.
I had heard that, so I assume it is to cut the silicone, then remove the back, and silicone it back on when done?
Old 09-30-2019, 07:27 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
on the FB CS page one of the guys posted you have to take a long razer and work the sides and then it will come off … then re-silicone it back on. Talking about the back panel.

j
Old 09-30-2019, 09:02 AM   #5

Spartan Chassis
I may have an answer by asking the question:
Why are you connecting the ATV to the Front TV directly, rather than in the Main A/V cabinet and letting the signal go through the HDMI splitter? This way, both the Main and the Front (and Outside Iíd you have one) can use that same ATV.

This is what Iíve done on our Dutch Star, and I apologize if your system isnít wired the same way.

I know other guys, like Dutch Star Don, have removed that wood panel carefully and wired up things like Bluetooth Headsets, etc. Yes, it involved cutting the silicone seal and, as I recall, using some other forms of closure (ie screws, magnets, etc) to make removal easier next time.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:09 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post
I may have an answer by asking the question:
Why are you connecting the ATV to the Front TV directly, rather than in the Main A/V cabinet and letting the signal go through the HDMI splitter? This way, both the Main and the Front (and Outside Iíd you have one) can use that same ATV.

This is what Iíve done on our Dutch Star, and I apologize if your system isnít wired the same way.

I know other guys, like Dutch Star Don, have removed that wood panel carefully and wired up things like Bluetooth Headsets, etc. Yes, it involved cutting the silicone seal and, as I recall, using some other forms of closure (ie screws, magnets, etc) to make removal easier next time.
Thanks, unfortunately for me, my AV system does not have that capability.
It would make things much better, doing as you suggest.
I believe based on what I have heard, I'll be cutting the silicone seal and then replacing it again.
Thanks again!
Old 09-30-2019, 09:30 AM   #7

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Miami View Post
Thanks, unfortunately for me, my AV system does not have that capability.

It would make things much better, doing as you suggest.

I believe based on what I have heard, I'll be cutting the silicone seal and then replacing it again.

Thanks again!

Darn. Was afraid of that. Good luck...should be straight forward for you.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:34 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a Ventana 4037 and the wooden grates were silicon and were relatively easy to remove using a plastic putty knife. Since my TV was in front of the coach it wouldn't turn on with the ignition key on so I route the power cord into the AV cabinet to an always hotplug. I put a Firestick with an AirPlay receiver app and not I can use WAZE or Google Maps on the front TV while traveling.
Past RVs 2006 21 Foot BT Cruiser Class C - 2015 Montana 3711 - 2016 Grand Design 310GK-R
CWSWine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 11:16 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
On our CS I can tie into the splitter in the AV cabinet. Would just have to pull the blue ray feed to the splitter. I tried to hook a game system up that way but could not get it to work. Ended up going direct from the Switch to the HDMI on the TV. Factory rep indicated gaming systems didn't work well through the HDMI splitters. I'm not a gamer, not even sure why we had to have one in the coach (I digress, sorry). I can live with going direct for the once in the blue moon events.''

j
Old 09-30-2019, 11:55 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
HDMI Splitter/Repeater

My past Bay Star and my current Canyon Star had a splitter/Repeater near the blue ray player and near the satellite TV controller. The DVD player fed HDMI to the splitter and the splitter then fed two seperate HDMI signals to the two TVs in front of the coach. This is duplicated for the satellite receiver.

I currently don't have a satellite receiver, so I connect an HDMI converter to my iPhone and display video on the TVs from the iPhone. Netflix and Amazon Prime Video Apps have the ability to store video on the phone. I load the video files at home using Wifi and have all the content that I need when travelling. No RV park Wifi or satellite service needed.

Regards,

Jerry
Old 10-01-2019, 05:33 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
I have a Ventana 4037 and the wooden grates were silicon and were relatively easy to remove using a plastic putty knife. Since my TV was in front of the coach it wouldn't turn on with the ignition key on so I route the power cord into the AV cabinet to an always hotplug. I put a Firestick with an AirPlay receiver app and not I can use WAZE or Google Maps on the front TV while traveling.
Ah, great ideas! I have a Google thingamajig and had not given that thought! I shall now think about that, seems like an excellent idea!!
Thanks
Old 10-01-2019, 05:36 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryP View Post
My past Bay Star and my current Canyon Star had a splitter/Repeater near the blue ray player and near the satellite TV controller. The DVD player fed HDMI to the splitter and the splitter then fed two seperate HDMI signals to the two TVs in front of the coach. This is duplicated for the satellite receiver.

I currently don't have a satellite receiver, so I connect an HDMI converter to my iPhone and display video on the TVs from the iPhone. Netflix and Amazon Prime Video Apps have the ability to store video on the phone. I load the video files at home using Wifi and have all the content that I need when travelling. No RV park Wifi or satellite service needed.

Regards,

Jerry
OK, thanks.
I had not spotted a repeater or a splitter for HDMI, but I shall look a little harder.
That would be much better option, as I also have Amazon Prime.
Regards,
John
Old 10-01-2019, 06:49 AM   #13

To access the back of the front TV in a CS you have to run a putty knife around the vented panel on the forward side of the TV cabinet and cut the silicone. I reinstalled mine with a couple screws to facilitate future removal.

hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote