Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2022, 04:49 AM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
For what it's worth, I just had another great experience at the Fort Myers, FL Cummins shop on Edison Ave. Went in to have them check out an engine code (turned out to be a bad turbocharger speed senser) and also had them do an oil and filter change while there. Got me in and out, did everything they said they would do and even found and fixed an issue that I did not know I had. So, I am now 3 for 3 with them. The service manager is a guy named Art and he has always done a great job when I have been in.

FLSteve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2022, 11:50 AM   #44

Anyone have experience with the Dallas Cummins Care Center. I was thinking of a visit to them for annual service I December January.
gjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 12:37 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandyDon View Post
Must be huge differences depending on the individual shop. I took my coach onto Cummins Coach Care in Harrisburg yesterday afternoon and they were on the phone with me at 8 this morning with the diagnosis done. Called an hour or so ago and Larry(service mgr) put me on the phone with Brandon, the actual tech who was working on my rig. He'd already fixed all the major electrical issues I had, which also fixed the issues I was having with my HWH leveling system and the problems I was having with my dash gauges and he fixed a problem with my Hydro Hot. When they called this morning they gave me an estimate which didn't result in a massive coronary. They're now working on oil change, lube, fuel filters etc. They had at least a half dozen big DPs there when I arrived last evening. So far, I'm super impressed with the communication and professionalism. Had the same kind of experience a few years ago at the Cummins shop in Goodyear, AZ.
Might have to look into Harrisburg then. Thats closer to me than Gaffney is
pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 04:30 PM   #46

Cummins Houston

Update on our experience regarding the Houston CCC.
I called them back again and spoke with the service tech. He still had not received quotes from, I guess parts, or quote department. He was vague and did not seem to know what it would cost. He kept saying maybe between 1,000 to $2000.00. I continued to push, and he finally said he thought it may be $1800.00. I called Lube Zone and they quoted 475.00 for Oil change and Chassis Lube. They were a bit out of the way for us, so we ended up going to Motorhomes of Texas and having them do it, as we go right by there on our way home. We got there in the late afternoon, they set us up a full hookup spot and were on top of everything. They jumped on it first thing the next morning and were super professional. FYI they have completed a huge expansion in the service department, and have hired some great techs. As it turned out I had a seal leaking on my right drive axle wheel. ( they put me on a service dolly, rolled me under the coach and showed me just where it was leaking). i had them fix other small things while they had it. they did little extras like detail the engine at no cost. Labor for engine oil change was $48.96, but the oil was very high at 16.75./qt. I plan to ask them about the price of the oil, as CCC PA charged 3.75/qt last October, and MOT charged 10.75 in 2020. The Chassis Lube was $69.19 including grease. Due to the Drive Axle Seal ($672.48) and other things I had them do, they ended up having it ready to go before noon the following day. All in all a very pleasant experience. I delt with Spenser (service Tech) Derek (Supervisor) and Duas (of of the mechanics). Travel Safe.
Free at Last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 11:36 AM   #47

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free at Last View Post
Update on our experience regarding the Houston CCC.
I called them back again and spoke with the service tech. He still had not received quotes from, I guess parts, or quote department. He was vague and did not seem to know what it would cost. He kept saying maybe between 1,000 to $2000.00. I continued to push, and he finally said he thought it may be $1800.00. I called Lube Zone and they quoted 475.00 for Oil change and Chassis Lube. They were a bit out of the way for us, so we ended up going to Motorhomes of Texas and having them do it, as we go right by there on our way home. We got there in the late afternoon, they set us up a full hookup spot and were on top of everything. They jumped on it first thing the next morning and were super professional. FYI they have completed a huge expansion in the service department, and have hired some great techs. As it turned out I had a seal leaking on my right drive axle wheel. ( they put me on a service dolly, rolled me under the coach and showed me just where it was leaking). i had them fix other small things while they had it. they did little extras like detail the engine at no cost. Labor for engine oil change was $48.96, but the oil was very high at 16.75./qt. I plan to ask them about the price of the oil, as CCC PA charged 3.75/qt last October, and MOT charged 10.75 in 2020. The Chassis Lube was $69.19 including grease. Due to the Drive Axle Seal ($672.48) and other things I had them do, they ended up having it ready to go before noon the following day. All in all a very pleasant experience. I delt with Spenser (service Tech) Derek (Supervisor) and Duas (of of the mechanics). Travel Safe.
$16.75 a quart? Wow! I can buy a gal. of Shell Rotella T6-Full Synthetic oil for $34.99. Their rate is more than double that you pay for it retail. That's a real steep mark up considering they pay wholesale price for it.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 04:06 PM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettesniper View Post
We just returned home from a three week long “Punch List Pilgrimage” to Nappanee and Gaffney. Both Newmar and Freightliner were awesome. They fixed almost every open item on the Coach and Chassis. As we pulled into the driveway the dreaded “Malfunction Indicator Light” (MIL) illuminated in the instrument panel.

I called Newmar and was directed to call Freightliner. I called Freightliner and was told to call Cummins...

I called our nearest Cummins Coach Care in Orlando, Florida...

Here is how that went...

Me: I have an “MIL” illuminated in my dash, a FAULT Code is being displayed, it is using an unusually high volume of DEF and the engine feels like it is down on power...
Cummins Coach Care in Orlando: “Yeah, drive it over and drop it off. We should be able to look at it in about 11 business days...”
Me: How about I just bring it over in 11 days?
Cummins Coach Care in Orlando: “We don’t make appointments...you have to leave your coach.”
Me: Since you are a Cummins Coach Care facility can we just stay there in case you can get to it sooner?
Cummins Coach Care in Orlando: “No.”
Me: Will it be plugged into power for the 11 days so the batteries don’t die?
Cummins Coach Care in Orlando: “No.”
Me: Can you think of anything that would make this a more painful experience for the customer?

I hung up and called Cummins in Jacksonville. The Service Manager said bring it up and they would look at it within 15 minutes of our arriving. So we drove the 175 miles to Jacksonville last night and spent the night to avoid the morning rush hour traffic. They had 50-amp power and water in their dedicated RV parking area. First thing this morning service manager (Dante) came out and met us, took some coach information and said he would get someone on it as soon as possible.
Service Manager just came back and said he would have a tech available after lunch to troubleshoot and attempt repair.

I am beginning to understand why I frequently see nearly new coaches for sale. When I spend $50,000 on a new car I receive incredibly high quality service and timely responses to any inquiries. When I spend $500,000 on a luxury motor coach I’m treated like I am an imposition...
YOU need to realize these folks do NOT WANT TO service RVs. Standard practice if they don’t want your business is to give you such a stupid price hoping you go elsewhere
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 09:32 AM   #49

On our way there to Jacksonville FL location for a May 18 appointment, as others have shared good experiences with service there. I am trying to get them to send me an email confirmation of my service appointment, after finding out that when I booked a month ago, the service person left off the most important item and reason for making the appointment. Since I cannot get them to email me, maybe you have an email address on a business card that you can share with an email address?
dorite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 08:29 PM   #50

I had posted above about my miserable experience with CCC in Minneapolis.

This week I had the emissions recall done at Cummins in Eau Claire, WI. I called and asked if I sent them the SCR part number would they be able to get the right part for the recall and schedule an appointment. The service manager immediately confirmed that worked and scheduled me in 1 1/2 weeks out.

On the Friday before my Monday appointment there was already a winter storm warning out for up to a foot of snow with ice for Monday so I called to see if we could reschedule. No problem...moved out three days.

I stayed overnight in their lot plugged into a 20 amp outlet on the shop (no camp facilities as it's a very small location). Coach went in promptly at 8am and in three hours I was on my way home.

Seemed like a great group of guys working there. 100% different than the completely uncaring and unresponsive Mpls facility.
Old 06-01-2023, 09:18 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
They all have such short memories....when times get tough and MH usage and sales drop, they'll all be singing the blues. My local Freightliner shop could careless about MH's. When we go to Oregon, there are two shops on I-5 that both do great work and quick diagnosis.

We had acquaintances that would drive from Southern California once a year to Oregon, making a trip out of it, to have their coach serviced. Now I understand why they do it.
DS Don: I know this is an old thread but do you recall which Freightliner shops on I-5 in Oregon you were referring to that does great service? We are going through that area soon and would love to get a 45k service. There is nothing in my area worth going to.
Old 06-02-2023, 06:18 PM   #52

I took our coach in to your local Cummins distributor/service center here in Boise ID and they were great, they take appointments and as long as you get it there at 7:00AM they promise same day service unless of course it is a major repair. I had a recall to be corrected and I had them service the engine, oil, filters etc. 5 stars.
VentanaOdyssey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins