Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2019, 01:04 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I'm sorry you went out of your way....Cummins has several readers and many require certificates. The part number didn't work in previous checks. There is a lot of confusion about what Cummins will allow with and without a subscription.

Sorry I bothered you!
. The pn came right up in my search....as well as there is only One (1) Inline Mini. But Roger that.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2019, 03:55 PM   #16
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Well.....thanks again for your helpfulness!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 04:26 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Well.....thanks again for your helpfulness!
I am curious Don, on why it seems I was singled out for a thrashing.

Oh well...did you think I was making up a story to gain attention or something?
Old 09-28-2019, 10:36 PM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mevman View Post
hmmm...well...okay...looks like Google isn't your friend today....so here is the product page. I purchased mine 2 years ago but heard the price is higher in the store. I too paid $300 with the Power Club discount at my Little Rock, Arkansas Cummins dealer.

https://www.cummins.com/parts-and-se...ervices/inline
Well....did you think your comment ……. "hmmm...well...okay...looks like Google isn't your friend today".....was really an appropriate response when I all asked for was a photo.

Your response insinuated that I was stupid! I spend a lot of time on this forum helping people when I can and offer my experience. I often run out to my coach to take photos for people to help them out when they have an issue. I rarely ask for anyone to help, so when I make a simple request, I hope people can be polite in their response rather than be sarcastic.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:22 AM   #19

I googled and found 1 on ebay

I think $160 or so

Amizon, $260 up

All with the Cummins emblem
6 line reader
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 04:55 AM   #20

We were on an AK caravan this summer and one member with a fairly new Tiffin coach lost power in the Yukon and the engine starting marking an unusual sound. Another caravan member had a code reader (3rd party as I recall, not Cummins) and was able to download perhaps 10 different failures, none of which conclusively indicated the problem. Tiffin and Cummins was called and it was determined that a road side fix by a couple of back yard mechanics was not possible.

The coach was towed 150 miles to the nearest truck repair facility where the first mechanic to look at it tried to diagnose the problem by reference to the failure codes. After a couple of hours and having ordered parts that were not needed (an air filter), the shop foreman was called over and figured out the problem by simply listening to the engine running. One of the valve springs had broken.

I'm not trying to make a point other than to say a reader may not be of much help in all cases or may lead you down the wrong path.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 04:59 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Well....did you think your comment ……. "hmmm...well...okay...looks like Google isn't your friend today".....was really an appropriate response when I all asked for was a photo.

Your response insinuated that I was stupid! I spend a lot of time on this forum helping people when I can and offer my experience. I often run out to my coach to take photos for people to help them out when they have an issue. I rarely ask for anyone to help, so when I make a simple request, I hope people can be polite in their response rather than be sarcastic.
I did and still do. Bye Don.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:57 PM   #22

I'm going to ignore the silly argumentative posts and figure they were just a misunderstanding.

Here are photos of mine -- showing the back side with the serial number, name and model number.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190929_162554-1200.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	261849

Name:	20190929_162607-1200.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	244.8 KB
ID:	261850

Name:	20190929_162717-1200.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	299.2 KB
ID:	261851

As I understand it, this "Inline mini" can be used with or without subscriptions.

Without subscription it gives basic information (S/N, hours, etc.) and reads error codes. And it can re-set error codes to see if they were just transient. But I don't think it gives any advice or likely causes or gives average labor hours to repair the most likely causes of the error code.

With a subscription I believe you're able to get much more diagnostic information -- trying to help to diagnose the actual cause of the error code and the most probable solution to fix the problem -- as well as average labor time to repair most likely causes of the error code.

My feeling is that I'm not going to actually fix serious problems. I just want to be able to see what the error code is, and see from that whether or not it's something I can fix myself. And if it doesn't look like I can fix it myself, I can call or Email the code to a Cummins repair person and let them tell me what the problem most likely is, and whether I need to stop and have the coach towed, or whether or not it's "safe" to drive it to a service place.

So with this code reader I'm hoping that I can either fix more things myself, and/or determine what the "best" solution is while I'm out in the middle of nowhere. I'm hoping that with this device, I'll have a better idea of who to call and what kind of service I'm probably going to need -- while I'm still on the road or in a campground.

In fact, I'm hoping that with engine/transmission problems, I can call a service shop, give them the code, have them order parts, and then only take the coach in once -- instead of twice (first to diagnose the problem, and second to install the parts after they've arrived). That's what happened the last time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 07:07 PM   #23
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Woodys".....Thanks, that's the info I was looking for. Like you, I just want to be able to decipher the codes. Even better if we can clear them. I'm certainly not going to go any deeper, unless it's a simple sensor replacement

I met a gentlemen at the local dealership who had a code reader, but it was packed away as he was moving into his new coach. The way he described it, it sounded like you could buy the larger unit, I think there are three, and Cummins would give you a personal subscription (no retail). Before buying the actual unit I went through the registration process and got to a point where you speak with Cummins. I told the lady I wanted the personal subscription. She said no problem, $700.00 please. I think there was a misunderstanding as to which unit the gentlemen had. Consequently, I was trying to get accurate info.

I'll give my local Cummins shop a call and see if they have one.

Thanks again.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:28 AM   #24

A scan tool just gives more symptoms about an event. It NEVER tells you "what's wrong". A good diagnostician is still needed to determine actual fault.
The fault codes tell you that some unplanned event happened in a particular circuit. It doesn't tell you which component has actually failed in that circuit. And there are primary and secondary faults that are distracting.

But if you understand vehicle diagnostics, a decent scan tool is indispensable.

What's not clear from quick look at the Cummins info is which "app" the inline mini is compatible with. I ASSUME Torque Pro is one. The prior inline mini was. The software (the "app") is just as important as the hardware dongle (the "mini").

I have to go look at wife's Escalade today. Scan tool said she has an oil pressure signal at 5V. That is either a shorted sensor, or a shorted wire. Further inspection and diagnosis is needed. But, the odds are it's the sensor. It's in a very hard to get to spot. Sometimes one has to remove the intake manifold to access it...So, might order a new $27 sensor just in case and gunshot it as a "poke and hope" diagnosis. If the sensor wire is removed and the voltage drops below 5 (to zero), then more likely it's the sensor. Of course that will throw a new "zero volt" DTC. That's a typical real situation.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:57 AM   #25
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Recently, I had a CEL come on while at a Rest Stop. I pulled the Freightliner code and had Freightliner convert it to the Cummins code. The Cummins code said it was a "low coolant level" issue.

In the above situation, that told me that the sensor for the coolant level was most likely the issue, since the reservoir was full and well above the sensor. Sure enough, when they diagnosed the problem it was a sensor. In this situation, if hadn't been under warranty and was home, I would have bought the sensor and installed it myself, versus paying a shop $300.00 to do it.

Will all codes lead me to the problem....no. No matter what, I prefer to be a more informed owner if I need to go to a shop, and at least have an idea what code was thrown.

On my example above, we committed to waiting a day for a part to arrive. As I started the coach to move to an area to spend the night, the CEL went out. If this code reader can erase codes, I would probably have never been laid up overnight as I'm convinced that CEL was a one time glitch.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:03 PM   #26

UPDATE

I finally plugged my new INLINE-mini in, paired it to my phone, and ran the APP (Cummins Guidanz). I can now clarify some things.

1) When you launch the Cummins Guidanz APP on your phone (or tablet) one of the first choices is whether you have a subscription or not. I don't, so I tap the No Subscription button.

2) The reader gives both the Cummins error code as well as an English description -- and some other information. For example, when I ran diagnostics, I got one error code: 3616. The description was: "Engine VGT nozzle position mechanism system not responding or out of adjustment." It then said there had been two counts of this error, but classified it as an "Inactive Fault."

3) I had some initial problems getting the thing to work (mostly because I still haven't read the instructions or documentation). My first "surprise" was when I plugged the code reader into the port, a green light at the end of the reader started flashing. That told me it was getting power even though the ignition switch was off. It turned out that the code reader was getting power -- but that's all -- no data. So I was able to pair the reader to my phone. But it wouldn't read anything and the APP kept timing out with an error. And the APP screen said I needed to make sure the "device" was on and properly connected.

Silly me, I thought the word "device" meant the code reader. Nope. In this case "device" means the COACH's ignition needs to be turned on. So the coach is the device.

4) I was also surprised at how long it takes to get and read codes. It would say "reading" for over a minute before any data appeared. Must be the slowest data stream in the world.

5) Although the reader and APP is reading my Cummins engine data, that appears to be all. It lists the transmission and braking system and a couple of other systems -- but says no data and no serial numbers for anything except for the engine. I guess I'll have to break down and read some documentation instructions.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:57 PM   #27
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Woody.....were you able to determine if it would allow you to clear a code. This has been one of the hardest products to get info about, without someone personally operating it, like you did.

Cummins does a poor job of describing the product and it's capabilities.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:14 AM   #28

Quote:
Woody.....were you able to determine if it would allow you to clear a code. This has been one of the hardest products to get info about, without someone personally operating it, like you did.

Cummins does a poor job of describing the product and it's capabilities.
Don, yes it does allow you to clear codes. From a previous post that I did on 9/8/2019:

The scan tool that you are talking about is the Cummins Guidanz. I purchased one at an FMCA Rally for $237.00. It will read any Cummins engine from the data port under the dash or in the engine bay for years 2006 and up. It reads codes in English, clears codes, gives engine information and hours, Bluetooth to my iPad or phone, logs codes and asks if I want to email to Cummins for consult. There are no fees associated with the Guidanz to get on the Cummins site and use the unit with the Cummins site. The only thing they don’t tell you is that when you use the unit, you do not sign in. If you try to sign in you will be denied unless you pay a subscription fee. Cummins released the Guidanz to help individual owners, so the subscription fee does not apply. I have used it twice to clear errant codes confirmed via email by Cummins and it paid for itself in just those two instances. Just my opinion.

Bruce

Hope it answers your question.
DS15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, engine