Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2021, 05:40 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Cummins Fuel Rail Recall - Freightliner

I received my Cummins notice yesterday saying "take it in" and plan to run by the local Cummins shop today to see when they can schedule me in.

Has anybody had this done yet? I was just wondering if they will have to remove the engine access cover/hatch in the rear bathroom ... or is this done from the back or from underneath?

FLSteve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2021, 08:17 AM   #2

I'm not sure about removing the access panel, but I called and the service manager said they've already had coaches come in. A few have had to get the assembly replaced and since they're out of stock they have to order them. There's a two week wait to get the parts from Cummins. The problem with that is once they take the assembly out for inspection, (and they discover a problem) you're stuck till the part comes in.
He did say if no problems are found then they replace the washers, (they have plenty of those) and you're good to go.
His advice was to keep doing visual inspections until the inventory of replacement parts builds up. I would give your service center a call and ask if they have replacement parts in stock before bringing it in.
Old 08-06-2021, 04:29 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Stopped by the local Cummins shop today and they pretty much confirmed what Mr. T said above. They normally go in through the engine hatch from inside the coach and said that if I was not smelling any diesel or seeing any leaks, that they were fairly confident that the washers would be all I need. So I have an appointment Monday morning to take it in and will wait the 2 to 3 hours they said it would take.

Will report whatever else I learn after Monday.

FLSteve
Old 08-06-2021, 06:09 PM   #4

Recall

I took mine in 3 days ago to Cummins , job completed, went thru engine hatch cover , before ou go in make sure they have the special tool nessesary to perform the recall , had to wait 2 days for Cummins to get the tool
Treelog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 07:07 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Is this only for recent year models?
richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 10:37 AM   #6

How does the engine access cover come off inside the coach?

I have the big walk in closet on my 4362 so the carpeted access cover is right there. I’m not sure I want Cummins trying to remove it for my appointment on the 16th.
ThunderRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 10:48 PM   #7

Engine cover

I did not trust Cummins to remove my engine access cover, I have a 2020 dutchstar 4081 rear bathroom where access cover is located , was very easy to remove, so when they told me they had to remove cover I said I would do it and I put it back on when they were done
Treelog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 05:14 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had the recall done this morning. From start to finish I was there about four (4) hours. I think they did the majority of the work from inside the coach through the engine access hatch. They did do some work from the back and underneath but maybe that was just checking for leaks.

I had partially removed the engine hatch (the tile part) and all they had to do was remove a couple bolts from the actual metal cover underneath the tile. That way there was no chance of breaking the tile or damage to the inside of the coach.

Attached is a picture of the fuel relief valve which I think is where they put the new washers. It is on the end of the engine closest to the front of the coach on the passenger side. So I’m glad that’s behind me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel Valve.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	338987  
Old 08-10-2021, 06:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSteve View Post
I had the recall done this morning. From start to finish I was there about four (4) hours. I think they did the majority of the work from inside the coach through the engine access hatch. They did do some work from the back and underneath but maybe that was just checking for leaks.

I had partially removed the engine hatch (the tile part) and all they had to do was remove a couple bolts from the actual metal cover underneath the tile. That way there was no chance of breaking the tile or damage to the inside of the coach.

Attached is a picture of the fuel relief valve which I think is where they put the new washers. It is on the end of the engine closest to the front of the coach on the passenger side. So I’m glad that’s behind me.
May I ask who did your recall repair? I am in the Ft. Myers area needing to have this recall checked out.
Fanukalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 07:18 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanukalum View Post
May I ask who did your recall repair? I am in the Ft. Myers area needing to have this recall checked out.
It was the Cummins dealer at 2671 Edison Ave, Fort Myers, FL 33916. Ask for Art the service manager. I think the phone number is 239-337-1211.

FLSteve
Old 08-10-2021, 07:21 AM   #11

Hi Steve,
What tools/steps are involved in partially removing the hatch (the tile part)?
Old 08-10-2021, 08:13 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
Hi Steve,
What tools/steps are involved in partially removing the hatch (the tile part)?
Mr. T ... mine has two (2) lag screws and I think it is either a 3/8" or 7/16" socket that fits the heads. After those are taken out and the vertical wood trim cover removed at the sink counter it just lifts out. The metal cover has eight (8) screws and lifts off as well. Here is a picture of the metal cover with the tile cover and wood trim piece already removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2937.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	339023  
Old 08-11-2021, 05:27 AM   #13

Steve, looking at your picture does the vertical wood trim just snap off. It looks like I can see 4 snaps holding it. I called cummins yesterday and was told the same thing as the above post. Since I am on a 2 month trip I think I will wait for a better time.
taratiffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:06 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by taratiffin View Post
Steve, looking at your picture does the vertical wood trim just snap off. It looks like I can see 4 snaps holding it.
taratiffin ... good eye. Yes it just snaps off. Very easy to take off and put back on.

FLSteve

Tags
cummins, freightliner, fuel, recall