Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2022, 06:33 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Cummins Injector O Ring and Fuel Rail Recall

Want to pass along some valuable info for those contemplating having this recall performed.

1. If the tech splits the fuel rail while removing/replacing the O rings you are hard down until parts arrive
2. My personal experience is that your service center will only order the fuel rail because that’s what’s broke. That can lead to 3-3 months of downtime. What I did was:
3. With my engine serial number I called Cummins Care and nicely explained the situation. There are multiple part numbers to achieve the end result of a new fuel rail assembly. The Cummins Care rep found the fuel rail in a “service pack” that contained not only the fuel rail but a couple of sensors. That service pack was in stock with over 150 available at the time. Cummins Care overnighted it to my Freightliner Service Center. We were only down for 48 hours.
4. If you are faced with this be sure you have your engine serial number when you call Cummins Care and be nice. It worked for me.
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2022, 07:57 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemson View Post
Want to pass along some valuable info for those contemplating having this recall performed.

1. If the tech splits the fuel rail while removing/replacing the O rings you are hard down until parts arrive
2. My personal experience is that your service center will only order the fuel rail because that’s what’s broke. That can lead to 3-3 months of downtime. What I did was:
3. With my engine serial number I called Cummins Care and nicely explained the situation. There are multiple part numbers to achieve the end result of a new fuel rail assembly. The Cummins Care rep found the fuel rail in a “service pack” that contained not only the fuel rail but a couple of sensors. That service pack was in stock with over 150 available at the time. Cummins Care overnighted it to my Freightliner Service Center. We were only down for 48 hours.
4. If you are faced with this be sure you have your engine serial number when you call Cummins Care and be nice. It worked for me.
Can you list what years or engines the recall is about? Thanks for that information as well, it surely will help anyone in that situation.
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 12:05 PM   #3

That’s a great idea.
I was thinking just to order the part and buying first.
From what was told ( My local Cummins Shop ) it’s the Actuator that get broke when they loosen the bolt. It gets stripped because of the tremendous heat and pressure in the system. I guess it’s a one time install.
I just might buy the service pack. I hope it has the Actuator.
Many have broken doing the check of the O ring.
Get it delivered to me and then do the recall.
If they don’t brake it, I’ll return the part for a refund.
I like your idea better.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 06:35 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchstar411 View Post
Can you list what years or engines the recall is about? Thanks for that information as well, it surely will help anyone in that situation.
It’s all based on your engine serial number. You need to call Cummins with the number. They will tell you if your engine is affected. You should have also received written recall notices if you are the original owner OR transferred ownership with Cummins and your chassis OEM.
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 01:57 PM   #5

Mine was done at Freightliner. Took about an hour and a half.
PaulTNaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 09:51 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchstar411 View Post

The recall involves L9 and X12 engines with a production date of JAN 02, 2017 - OCT 16, 2020.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...1E032-3304.PDF
Old 01-30-2022, 07:55 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
I had mine done at Cummins San Antonio back in October. At that time, they had been doing two to three a day for just over two weeks. They had yet to find any leakers. Took about two hours.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, fuel, recall