Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2021, 12:57 PM   #43

ISL Engine

I also have an ISL 425hp I have had a lot of emissions related problems. In the past year I've spent almost $10,000. In repairs but warranty doesn't cover emissions related problems. Probably for a good reason. They are problematic for carbon build if your stuck in traffic and idle to long. The DPF light comes on frequently then the exhaust high temp light stays on forever. I've had to replace both the DPF filter and the DOC. And I'm still having problems with it.
ESS N MAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2021, 05:59 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESS N MAS View Post
I also have an ISL 425hp I have had a lot of emissions related problems. In the past year I've spent almost $10,000. In repairs but warranty doesn't cover emissions related problems. Probably for a good reason. They are problematic for carbon build if your stuck in traffic and idle to long. The DPF light comes on frequently then the exhaust high temp light stays on forever. I've had to replace both the DPF filter and the DOC. And I'm still having problems with it.
If you've replaced your dpf and doc it could be possible that there is some sensor that is causing an incomplete regen.
I am not sure what the best way to test the sensors is, but I would imagine hooking it up to cummins diagnostic software would be a start.
caleb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 08:52 AM   #45

Unfortunately, service contracts don't cover emissions related repairs and they are the parts that you actually need before any other repairs. I have spent almost $10,000. on my coach in the last 6 months on these repairs, and told this is normal for emissions. I will never buy another cummins.
Old 07-08-2021, 09:30 AM   #46

Quote:
told this is normal for emissions. I will never buy another cummins.
Maybe other manufacturers cover their emissions equipment under the warranty while Cummins doesn't, but emissions problems are something you will likely have on any engine equipped with them, regardless of brand.
Best fix is to have something without the emissions equipment.
Current Rig: 2009 Newmar Dutch Aire 4085 (Spartan Chassis w/ Cummins ISL 425hp) towing 2015 GMC Yukon Denali 4x4 |||| Former Rig: 2001 Fleetwood Bounder 36U (w/ Ford Triton V10) towing 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4
Old 07-08-2021, 11:19 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Statistics show it is one of the best engines ever designed
If you have a 9.0 450hp that's a much better engine. My 425hp 8.8 has been nothing but a headache. I still have a check engine light coming on and off. Been told it's probably the DOC acting up again. But nobody can get me in to fix it. There backlogged for at least 2 to 3 weeks. I'm not home, I'm on the road. And like I said I've spent almost $10,000 in repairs in the last 6 to 8 months.
Old 07-09-2021, 06:09 AM   #48

Quote:
If you have a 9.0 450hp that's a much better engine. My 425hp 8.8 has been nothing but a headache. I still have a check engine light coming on and off. Been told it's probably the DOC acting up again. But nobody can get me in to fix it. There backlogged for at least 2 to 3 weeks. I'm not home, I'm on the road. And like I said I've spent almost $10,000 in repairs in the last 6 to 8 months.

If its just a check engine light on and off related to only the dpf and doc, as long as its not inhibiting your ability to drive the coach maybe just ignore it, or at least make it wait until the next scheduled service to look at it so your not making an extra effort for it. Based on what I've gathered, unless the dpf is completely clogged (which will give you a "stop engine" light) or if its EGR issues, you really can't harm the engine itself by ignoring those issues. Just do what you can to help it out, don't idle too much and use high idle when possible, and keep the speed up on the highway.
Thats what we've been doing for about 6 months now and it hasn't been too bad.

Not that I would suggest this as it is illegal, but people do it quite often, have you considered deleting it?
Old 07-20-2021, 06:29 PM   #49

425 isl

We also have the 425 isl. After several regen cycles, having the dpf baked, replacing the 3 sensors on the dpf, replacing the ECM, and then getting the red stop engine light we were towed to a trucking service center who finally determined there was corrosion in the wiring and connections that was prohibiting a full regen. We have been out once since with no issues. Hopefully our problem is solved and we can enjoy our 2008 Dutch Star.
justus4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:32 AM   #50

Isl 425hp

Thanks for the info on your ISL. I just had my stop engine light come on for the first time since having the DOC replaced. So maybe I'm having that same problem. What truck repair facility did you take yours to. Sounds like they care about customers and really look for the problem.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:48 AM   #51

We took ours to Excel Trucking in Chesapeake, Virginia.
justus4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, ems, problem, problems