RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am not sure if I am cursed or picky. Went to pick up the coach today and noticed the kitchen slide looked recessed in the middle. The service writer got a long level and documented the gap. Hard to tell in a picture but I am posting what I have. Would like your opinions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3987488893.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	344.3 KB
ID:	38155   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2036195537.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	451.0 KB
ID:	38156  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1661187256.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	463.4 KB
ID:	38157  

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2013, 07:30 AM   #2

You're right, if you can see it then question it, and if you can't see it, then you should wonder about it. Just read some of the other posts to understand what you'd be in for if you don't question it BEFORE you buy it. The seller is not interested in your well being, your enjoyment, or your pleasure, but only in the cash s/he receives. Isn't there a buyer beware sign on every salesperson's forehead?

soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #3

I can honestly say I have not looked mine over that hard when the slides are closed.

And I don't think I'd care even if it is, but now I'm going to check next time I close up.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:21 AM   #4

From the pics it looks like the slide is coming in too far. I speak with experience "this will be a problem sooner or later". My full wall slide has been adjusted and repaired no less than 4 times due to the same problem. Newmar thinks it was the controller for the motors on the slide. Now on the fourth controller. The pictures look like the soft limits are not set correctly...that is the stop points for the in and out positions. My suggestion is to steer clear.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:49 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I guess I should clarify - I already own this coach. I did the factory Delivery in March. These are things that I have noticed after owning the coach.

In my other posts where I had a problem with the full wall slide, I believe that was caused by moving it when coach is out of level. I know have video proof that it did happen. (see dash cam threads for how this is proven).

But in regards to this post, the slide in question is the kitchen slide (2nd largest slide on this coach and located on curb side).

I get the fact that things move, and when you have 40k+ moving at 85MPh (err...55MPh ya thats what I mean) down the highway and hit a bump things will move.

Quote:
PDR John:
I can honestly say I have not looked mine over that hard when the slides are closed.

And I don't think I'd care even if it is, but now I'm going to check next time I close up.
That is why I titled the post the way I did. I admit that I guilty of looking too close for issues now. Guess the rose colored glasses came off when I had a couple of problems, and now I am trying to determine if this is a sign of structural damage, since the slide is bowed inwards. At top and bottom, it is even with box. only in the center and the entire width of the center is is bowed inwards. It is only 1/4 in, and that may be "within design specs" but it looks awkard.

If I am being too picky, please don't be shy...tell me!

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #6

I think we all can be a little picky. I wouldn't worry about that little imperfection. All rigs have them if you look for them. And fixing them can sometime cause other problems, and be more trouble then their worth. You can build a million dollar house, and there will not be a truly square room or level floor in the whole house if you look close enough. It amazes me the fit and finish is as good as it is on these monstrous sized RVs, with all their slides and moving walls and stuff. Nobody will probably ever notice that, except you and you know it's there. Looks like a great, really nice rig to me.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It appears from your pix that you have a "concave" situation on the slide trim piece rather than a "fit" issue that some have mentioned. Personally, I would go back to Newmar if that is so and have it fixed. Picky.......I don't think so based on the amount of money you have invested. Just my 2 cents.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #8

My personal opinion for what it's worth is that everything in the coach will have a tolerance - in your case you have a huge box suspended on a couple of arms that will move in and out - there is bound to be some compromises between weight, cost and function. The fact that there is a rubber seal in place that takes up these tolerances is testimony to the fact that there is an expectation that nothing is going to fit perfectly.

So I don't think that you are picky, just that we need to understand that nothing can be 'perfect' and that after the warranty is over, a lot worse things will happen over the years.
steveclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #9

Redbaron,

From personal experience, I'm start to get the feeling that we may have put the Newmar quality a little to high on a pedestal and firmly believe that you have every right to question any item which you may feel is unacceptable. My full wall slide was recessed from 1/2" to 3/4" and the first response received was that this is considered as normal tolerance. Well, I certainly didn't stop there and slides are being adjusted.

Keep plugging!
Old 05-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #10

My 2 cents. I would consider it within a reasonable tolerance, but I would also want to make sure that it is not a sign of some defect that will haunt you later on.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
When the slide is built on floor before mounting in the coach cavity if you put your level in same spot it may have been straight, after mounting in coach and closed with the rubber seals all around and it flush in wall cavity I would think there will be some flexing of slide surface when closed.
The seal is all around it the center of wall would still be in same position on floor bottom edge outer edges flex from rubber seal.
If motors pull slide in to tight the motor maybe could be adjusted to stop sooner but than you may not have the tight seal around your slide also.
I would suggest you contact Newmar to verify what I just said, my small LR slide has slit inward indent but allot smaller slide in length than yours has not caused a problem with the appearance for age of coach.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #12

Appears that the indent is right about the height of the counter top. Maybe the kitchen counter was anchored to the floor 1/4" to far away and then later the wall, and that is sucking it in? Maybe loosening the bolts holding the counter to the wall would allow it to move back out and straighten up the wall? Then the gap covered with trim? Just thinking out loud about what I'd check if it were mine.

Since it's under warranty, I'd sure want it looked at carefully. Being from the PNW, and having driven in driving rain storms, I know I wouldn't want gaps on any walls, even with the rubber seal kind of closing it up. Think what it'll be like after 5 years of driving.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Have been slow to comment. Ran the issue to my fellow campers. Together we have over 150 years of Rving behind us. PICKY - NO , since it is noticeable by the naked eye. FIXABLE - YES. For you the ball is in your court to push through on this issue.

Would you buy a new car or truck with a crease in the door or fender?

Of course all of this is IMHO.

CC

cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote