Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2022, 08:27 PM   #1

Dash A/C

We just finished our first trip and had a great time. We are learning how to work the systems.

On our trip to the Oregon Coast, I noticed the dash air was not working. The previous owner had it serviced before we bought it a year ago. We never took a trip until this year but I do know from trips around town for propane and service, the dash air worked.

I will find a service place to get it fixed in the near future. Until then, if I wanted to look at the system, where would I find it? At least I might be able to look at the troubled unit.
Thanks

David
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2022, 08:47 PM   #2

So if I were you.. get a book on basic automotive air conditioning repair.. online or at your favorite auto parts store.. read.. read.. that will keep you from being ripped off.. good addition to the rv library.. a must.. then could be simple fuse.. or freon.. it's all a guess until you understand what the next members are talking about.. a good basic generic a/c automotive repair book is great place to start..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 08-14-2022, 10:13 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonTravel View Post
We just finished our first trip and had a great time. We are learning how to work the systems.

On our trip to the Oregon Coast, I noticed the dash air was not working. The previous owner had it serviced before we bought it a year ago. We never took a trip until this year but I do know from trips around town for propane and service, the dash air worked.

I will find a service place to get it fixed in the near future. Until then, if I wanted to look at the system, where would I find it? At least I might be able to look at the troubled unit.
Thanks

David
Glad you had a nice trip. Would have been even better if the A/C had worked.
Most likely it is just low on refrigerant. They often work ok right up till they don't. I won't bore you with why, unless you're interested.

The A/C system is part in the rear on the engine, lines running all the way up front and in the dash. As for servicing the refrigerant, the ports (high & low) should be up front behind the hatch. I will attach a picture of typical ports. The blue is low side where it is charged. They are different size so you can't connect to high side with a commercial refill from a parts store.

There is one shop I am familiar with you might check with, if you don't have a favorite. Mac's Radiator in Salem on Amber St off Lancaster. I worked for them a few years ago, part time between jobs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	R134.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	373692  
code2e is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 10:18 PM   #4

AC didnít work as in needed a charge or would not blow? A number of things could be the issue depending.
Old 08-15-2022, 09:51 AM   #5

The fan blew fine at any speed. That at least helped move air over us on the hot trip to the coast.
Just no cold air

I will open the hatch to the generator and take a peek. My generator is not on a pull out slide. I'll check into this

And thanks for the referral to Mac's
Old 08-15-2022, 10:18 AM   #6

Have you tried to see if it maybe just needs a recharge?
Old 08-15-2022, 09:08 PM   #7

I'm kind of stuck. I can't get the generator hatch/door in the front of the coach to open. There is a T Handle in the bay in front of the driver's side front wheel that I am supposed to pull to open the hatch. No matter how hard I pull, I can't get the door to release. I haven't opened it since the annual maintenance service last fall at Freightliner.

I can shine a flashlight in the upper joint and I see the blue port. I just can't access it.

I'd love to have a suggestion to help me take this next step
Old 08-15-2022, 09:25 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I'm kind of stuck. I can't get the generator hatch/door in the front of the coach to open. There is a T Handle in the bay in front of the driver's side front wheel that I am supposed to pull to open the hatch. No matter how hard I pull, I can't get the door to release. I haven't opened it since the annual maintenance service last fall at Freightliner.

I can shine a flashlight in the upper joint and I see the blue port. I just can't access it.

I'd love to have a suggestion to help me take this next step
Get a helper to press on the hatch near the latch while you pull the release. Even tapping with a fist may help the release. Once opened, lube everything up. I am betting it's dry and dirty. Cycle it open and closed to spread the lube.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:28 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maller01 View Post
Have you tried to see if it maybe just needs a recharge?

DO NOT waste your money on a "recharge" unless the shop does a thorough leak check on the system to find any leaks. There are a number of things that can keep the unit from cooling, so have it checked by a professional.

It is obvious that you are lost by some of the statements you have made. So my best advice is to seek professional help. I have seen attempts at amateur repairs that wound up causing more damage and more cost.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 02:54 PM   #10

I did decide not to try to fix the Ac problem myself. Way above my head and too big a learning curve to spend time on it.

BUT, that being said, I still can't get my generator door open for anyone to access the front AC equipment where the charging ports are.
I have tried what was suggested above and tried shooting WD 40 into what I think is the latch, all to no avail.

What will an AC repair shop be able to do that I haven't tried?
Old 08-16-2022, 03:51 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I did decide not to try to fix the Ac problem myself. Way above my head and too big a learning curve to spend time on it.

BUT, that being said, I still can't get my generator door open for anyone to access the front AC equipment where the charging ports are.
I have tried what was suggested above and tried shooting WD 40 into what I think is the latch, all to no avail.

What will an AC repair shop be able to do that I haven't tried?
I sent you a PM.

Tags
dash