RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2011, 08:51 AM   #1

Dash A/C water leak

We have a 2011 Bay Star that is spraying water from the vent at the passenger's feet. This only happens while moving. It appears that water in the pan is not allowed to drain and air coming from outside blows it onto floor. Water drains while stopped, and no air is felt moving while sitting still. Any suggestions appreciated, or I'll have to take it back to dealer so wife doesn't keep getting wet feet.
padre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2011, 10:18 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Newmar has a TSB on a similar problem:

Go to Newmar Parts click the link, navigate to Technical Reference -> Technical Service Bulletins -> TSB #301 THRU TSB #400, then about 3/4 of the way down the page, click "TSB #345 Possible Water 'Misting' from Evans Dash HVAC System".

Hope this helps!
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:36 PM   #3

Thanks

Thanks a lot! This sounds exactly like my problem and should fix it just fine.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:00 AM   #4

Still leaking

I caulked as described in TSB and it still leaked. Yesterday I ran caulk up sides more and will see today if that worked. I emailed maker of A/C unit and was told to contact Newmar. I emailed Newmar but hadn't gotten reply as of 5/12. Then I emailed service dept. at address given on site. Got reply and was told he forwarded to customer service. Still no response. Hope fix works because companies don't seem willing or able to help. Why does Newmar, who knew of problem in 2008, still put these units in their motor homes without problem being fixed?
Old 05-13-2011, 09:48 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't quite understand why you are trying to fix an issue with a new coach yourself. If it was me, the coach would be back to the dealer under warranty.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:39 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome padre44 to the Newmar forum.
Have you checked the drain hose out of Evans unit and see if you may have a blockage in the tube it should hang down from Evans unit could have mud dabber in it or bug causing water to back up into coach.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:43 PM   #7

lemon?

Dealer is 3 1/2 hours away. Not too convenient to go back there. Shouldn't have these kind of problems with a brand new unit. Trying to expedite things since we have a trip to Yellowstone planned in a week. Drain tube is clear - I checked that first. This morning entire a/c stopped working - just blew warm air. Oily substance all over area around firewall unit. Needless to say I am upset.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:25 PM   #8

Newmar's backed up 2 months at the factory.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:34 PM   #9

Got cooling problem fixed at a local shop with Newmar's help. Some O ring not installed correctly. However, water still sprays in while moving in all but max a/c mode, so fix in TSB #345 didn't work. Tech at a/c shop said it probably wouldn't - that air from open grill design is pushing water into coach. Wonder if other Bay Star coaches have the same problem? If so, what did you do to get it fixed? I've written to Newmar about this - will wait to see what solution they recommend. Quite a frustrating experience on a brand new motor home.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:15 AM   #10

Our 2009 Bay Star does the same thing - we are in FL and run AC all the time!

Techs and Svc Adviser said I can't run the AC on anything but Max AC. That does the trick. When we run it on regular AC it 'spits' water on DW's feet.....not good!

Will check on TSB - was not aware there was one issued - might just take her back to dealer for a look-see.

Bill
09 Bay Star
Bpsailr49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:12 PM   #11

Water spraying in Baystar

Ok folks........I've lurked long enough and it's time to try to help someone out here We purchased our Newmar Baystar 2901 last March and picked it up April 28th and just love it so far. With a cold start to our Minnesota spring/summer this year I used the dash air for the first time last weekend. I too had water spraying in on the wife's feet. I called our dealer. Steinbring Motorcoach and talked to the head mechanic Dennis and he knew instantly what I was talking about. I've done the suggested which makes a ton of sense but haven't had it on the road to try it out yet. Here's what to do....under the hood on the left side you'll see the big square box that the drain tube comes out of for the A/C. If you feel the underside of that "box" you'll feel there are openings in that. the problem is, the air comes through the grill and blows into those openings and forces condensation back into the coach vent....He suggested some rigid plastic of some kind. I used a piece of what I call glass board....glossy white plastic, very thin but sturdy, dimpled on one side and smooth on the other. I painted it black so it wouldn't show through the grill when installed. I cut a piece 12" x 9" and velcrod it to the face of the "box" so the edge is lower than the bottom of the box itself by a few inches. This should help. Makes sense to me when you look at it. Be careful of hoses in the area as to not let the edge of your plastic rub on them ok? I'll be on the road Thursday to try it out. He said you could use double face tape too but I figured if I need to take it off to get at anything else the velcro would be better. Good luck
yes2baystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:09 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome yes2baystar to the Newmar forum & irv2.
Thanks for your first two informative posts and for your suggestion on how to maybe fix this problem with the AC portion of Baystar coach you will make allot of happy wife's.
If I may add if the plastic was a piece with angle so it may dress under the vents also but not close them off may block more air from being forced into AC of Evans unit.
Which ever way you pursue should help.
Enjoy the forums.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:48 AM   #13

I'll be waiting to hear if this works. You'd think Newmar would address this when they build coaches since they've known about the problem for some time.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:21 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by padre44 View Post
I'll be waiting to hear if this works. You'd think Newmar would address this when they build coaches since they've known about the problem for some time.
Have you contacted Newmar customer service on this issue ? 1-800-731-8300. They are very responsive to most issues and maybe can provide guidance on a fix at facility closer than your dealer which I believe you stated earlier is 3 1/2 hrs. away. I would highly recommend you call if you haven't.....this is a warranty issue and should be taken care of by them one way or the other.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote