Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2016, 12:02 PM   #1

Dash AC kaput!

Need some help trying to figure out where to start looking in to this. Dash AC does not blow cold air. I've searched the forum and did the troubleshooting related to the heater hose/valve issue letting warm coolant continually flow, to no avail. When I checked the compressor a couple things didn't look right (I am no auto AC expert....I basically know nothing). In the first picture, when the ac is 'on', shouldn't that disc/clutch on the front be turning? It turns freely, by hand, whether ac is in 'on' or 'off' position. It does not turn when engine running and ac in 'on' position. In the second picture, I found this wiring and harness coming to the compressor. Although 2 wires go into the connector on 1 side, only 1 wire comes out and connects to the compressor. I assume this is a ground, but not sure if the other is needed. It looks like it was cut, but not sure if intentional. Any guidance is appreciated before I try to take it in and have a shop 'rake me over the coals'. I know there has to be someone on this forum who's an expert with these systems.

Sorry the pics are sideways....not sure why this happens on here sometimes.
Attached Images

Roscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2016, 12:11 PM   #2

The wire is the power for the electro-magnetic clutch that drives the compressor. If there is no power to the wire then low refrigerant is a possibility, The refrigerant carries the compressor lubrication oil so it shuts down to protect the system.You'll have to get to the front of the coach and check for power through the two controls there.
Thermostat sensor and low pressure switch.
I'll dig up pictures and re-post.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:28 PM   #3

Here's some of the info I have on our A/C systems and one photo, showing thermostat. Looking for picture of low pressure switch. Windows 10 re-organized my photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0306 (640x360).jpg
Views:	172
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	131941  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tempcon wiring.pdf (194.7 KB, 68 views)
Old 07-03-2016, 12:34 PM   #4

Thanks Skip! If I'm low on refrigerant (I can check that, not sure why I didn't think of it), doesn't the compressor need to be running in order to fill?
Old 07-03-2016, 12:37 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Looks like you are low on refridgerant, that would explain why the clutch is not pulling in. Check /see if the Low refridgerant sensor is a closed contact.
eg 12volt on both sides when AC is ON.
Here is a link to "Evans Tempcon" for electrical schematic.

http://www.evanstempcon.com/pdf/ccl/...schematics.pdf

You could recharge it yourself if the system uses "134a" refridgerant.
Home Depot and others sell the "AC Pro" recharge kit.
It all depends how handy you are with mechanical / electrical things.
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 02:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscott View Post
Thanks Skip! If I'm low on refrigerant (I can check that, not sure why I didn't think of it), doesn't the compressor need to be running in order to fill?
The compressor will engage when refrigerant pressure is enough. You add to low side of system at the front of motorhome there should be a fitting for this. Most a/c experts (not me) don't recommend adding the refrigerant with additives, just the straight R134a. Don't add to much to the system, more is not better. To service properly gauges need to be used.

I am in the process of replacing compressor, flushing the system, adding the correct amount of oil and refrigerant. The only way to truly get the proper amount of oil and refrigerant is by weight and measurement of amounts added. Don't want to do over, going the extreme route first.
Old 07-03-2016, 03:22 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Make sure the low pressure switch is good and the connections are not corroded. It's a little switch that is screwed into the low pressure line with 2 wires connected to it. If you jump those 2 wires the compressor will kick in but don't do it for long. If your low in Freon it will damage the compressor. It will be in the front generator compart on the firewall. You can't miss it. Many times that can be the culprit. If not you may be low on Freon and in that case you have a leak in the system that needs to be addressed with dye in the Freon and a black light to find and fix it.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:36 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Before you start apply a pair of vise grip pliers to one of the heater hoses to block off the hot water from getting into the Evans AC/Heating unit and see if cooling improves.
If it does your Evans control is installed incorrectly and you have three options change control and install correctly or install a ball valve as the thread you saw instructed.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:02 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
watching this thanks
Old 07-03-2016, 09:23 PM   #10

Thanks Snipe, I'll try jumping the leads tomorrow when I get a chance. I thought I had an AC gauge from one of the car recharges, but not the case. Will buy one tomorrow to check freon level as well.

007, already did the vice grips test and will do it again if I ever get the compressor working properly.

All of this has been great information. Thank you all!

I'll post any updates as I continue to troubleshoot.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";3144241]Before you start apply a pair of vise grip pliers to one of the heater hoses to block off the hot water from getting into the Evans AC/Heating unit and see if cooling improves.
If it does your Evans control is installed incorrectly and you have three options change control and install correctly or install a ball valve as [B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/newmar-dash-air-for-2013-a-163596.html#post1592242
the thread [/URL][/B]you saw instructed.
None of this has any bearing if the compressor is not turning.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:56 PM   #12

OK, I went to the auto parts store and got a recharge kit with a gauge. When I connected it, it was over in the red. I got it back below spec and then gave it a 'boost' to get back into the green (area between the lines indicated on the gauge) but the clutch still did not engage. I checked voltage across the temp sensor and it was good. I also checked voltage on the valve in the first pic and it was good. However, it appears to be leaking as it has fresh oil all over it that wasn't there before I gave it a recharge boost. What is this valve? It appears to be on the high pressure side. Could it be causing the clutch not to engage? Can I replace it without evacuating the system? If so, how does it come off? Didn't seem too apparent as I was looking at it.

The second picture is of the entire system in case someone wants to point out what the heck I'm looking at or need to look at. Again, the pics are sideways for whatever reason. Thanks for all the help thus far.

One more question; could the control board that is supposed to be behind the dash panel be causing this? In the normal AC mode, the fan blows harder than when it is in the Max AC mode. I do know this should be the opposite. And I know the temp potentiometer dial should be good as I've used the heat function in the winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1623.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	132053   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1624.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	132054  

Old 07-04-2016, 02:57 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
On your low pressure switch in the top picture,you need to have 12 Volts on each terminal ,measured to chassis ground,when AC is ON. (Do not measure across the 2 terminals.)
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 03:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggyd View Post
On your low pressure switch in the top picture,you need to have 12 Volts on each terminal ,measured to chassis ground,when AC is ON. (Do not measure across the 2 terminals.)
Siggy
Sorry Siggy, poor wording. I did measure 12v from each terminal to ground, not across.

The lower valve (high pressure?) had 12v on the terminal on the left (coming from low pressure switch) and no reading from the other terminal (blue). This is also the one I believe to be leaking.

Also, about 30 minutes after my last post, I put the gauge back on...out of curiosity, and it went back to the red! I did not have the engine running when I did that.

Tags
dash