Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2015, 08:01 AM   #1

Dash air

I have 2001 dsdp freightliner 330 cat. Compressor will not engage. Had system evacuated and charged. still not engaging. I am looking for inline fuses. Replaced 15a on dash, cain't find another fuse. Any help would be appreciated.Pioneer1
Pioneer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2015, 09:58 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and irv2 Pioneer1.
Here is a Brochure and Owners Guide for you at the end of OG maybe fusing that may have your answer.
If not use this link for reference to fusing set ups for Newmars and possible locations of their different fuse block locations.
Here is some other info that may relate to your situation.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:10 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club

It might not be a fuse, but a high or low pressure switch in the circuit. The low pressure sensor would shut off the compressor if coolant has leaked and the compressor would be damaged. A high pressure switch is to prevent the compressor from coming on too soon after it shut down and pressures are so high that the compressor would be damaged restarting so soon.

When the A/C system is at rest(cold), the switches should be closed and allow electricity through. You can check these sensors with a multimeter.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:33 PM   #4

Thanks 007 and Bflinn181, for your input and suggestions. I have checked all brochures including owners guide that I have with the coach. I would have thought after we recharged the system the clutch would engage. The system held a charge for almost a hour indicating no leak. I will the sensors in the morning.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:33 AM   #5

Most of the dash air units are from Evans Tempcon. If yours is, you might find their on-line tech support of use: Evans Tempcon, Inc - Technical Support
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:08 PM   #6

Thank you Beyond for evans. Contacted them got some good advice, found fuse panel dead at fuse. Wires good from dryer to the fire wall. Could not find wire from fire wall to the fuse panel. Which is where the problem is.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:18 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If your system is not holding the new charge the hoses for Evans unit run through the chassis rails from out back near engine and compressor, the hoses have been known to wear through in this run causing leak.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:39 AM   #8

Assume you are not getting any voltage to the clutch on the compressor--could be wiring, fuse, dash panel temp control, low pressure switch, or the cycling switch is so equiped. Curious, not sure how your system was "re/charged" is the compressor would not run?????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 03:40 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Dash air needs a bit of freon

I have a 2002 Newmar Mountain Aire Chevy Workhorse and I believe an Evans Dash AC unit. And my mechanic/husband died in June. I'm making my first trip south solo and need a bit of advice. We had the AC serviced during our trip north in the spring. After working with the tech, Husband (Lew) mentioned that in the future if the the ac was putting out just a bit of cold air that most likely the small leak was due to the rig sitting for the season and would probably function OK with just adding more freon. I have a cheap set of gauges the service guy left. (btw he wasn't the brightest bulb, or as I am reading, just not familiar with the Evans system). When Lew asked if I would like to watch the adding of the freon I declined, not realizing that was information that I would need so soon.

What I am looking for is a video showing the process. I learn best by watching, seeing the proper connection points, as opposed to reading.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? A link would do...
And thanks.
capndeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 04:11 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by capndeb View Post
I have a 2002 Newmar Mountain Aire Chevy Workhorse and I believe an Evans Dash AC unit. And my mechanic/husband died in June. I'm making my first trip south solo and need a bit of advice. We had the AC serviced during our trip north in the spring. After working with the tech, Husband (Lew) mentioned that in the future if the the ac was putting out just a bit of cold air that most likely the small leak was due to the rig sitting for the season and would probably function OK with just adding more freon. I have a cheap set of gauges the service guy left. (btw he wasn't the brightest bulb, or as I am reading, just not familiar with the Evans system). When Lew asked if I would like to watch the adding of the freon I declined, not realizing that was information that I would need so soon.

What I am looking for is a video showing the process. I learn best by watching, seeing the proper connection points, as opposed to reading.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? A link would do...
And thanks.

If you have a manifold set for the A/C, great, it should have two gauges, some valves, hoses, and connectors to attach to the RV A/C unit.

I'm sure your A/C uses R134a refrigerant (technically not Freon, a Dupont copyrighted name for R12, no longer easy to get without a license and a pocket full of money.

Under the hood you will find the compressor, driven by a belt on the front of the engine. Follow the two high pressure hoses from the compressor. You will find fittings, probably covered with caps that can be removed by hand. The fittings are different sizes for the high pressure side and low pressure side. If you have the manifold set, the hoses will only connect in the proper way. If you are using a can of R134a with the attached gauge, hose, and fitting, it will only attach to the low pressure side.

From here, I suggest you search on You Tube for videos on servicing the A/C system. Your system is the same as found on cars and pick up trucks, don't let the size of the RV fool you, it's very similar to an auto A/C unit.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ir+conditioner

Good luck with it!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:28 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and irv2 capndeb.
Here is a post I answered for someone else that will have some answers for you.
A simple clam on one of the heater hoses into the AC/Heater unit of Evans will change your cooling if you have the problem described in the first link.
The fix can be simple or if you want to install a new control valve its up to you, th problem has been on coach's from years back so your not alone.
Enjoy the forum and safe travels.

Tags
dash, dash air