RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2017, 06:24 PM   #1

Dash Air -- how well/long does yours work ?

For the 4th time in as many years, I've got our Dutch Star at the dealer to look at the dash air. It will work great for about a year, then it looses refrigerant and blows ambient temp air. Sure, I could add refrigerant out of a can , but there is a leak somewhere... the dealer claims that loosing refrigerant over the course of 1 year is normal for Newmar motorhomes. I never had that issue with other brands I've owned. Fortunately I have an extended service plan and take it in when other items pop up, so the cost for me is negligible.
What's been your experience ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2017, 06:26 PM   #2

3rd year with ours and no problems. You definitely have a leak.

Bob, Pat and Daisylee the JackABee

judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:36 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We had a reoccurring and similar problem that continued after repeated AC repair attempts until finally, the right tech found that one of the two heater control valves was bad allowing hot water to enter thus defeating the cold air. The symptoms were that when starting the coach and running the Dash AC it would blow cold and work fine but after an hour or so it would start blowing warm air.

Changing the heater control valve did it and it has worked since.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:46 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
On our first two DP’s (both Monaco’s), the dash air was crap. On the last one, we had it fixed five times and it never really worked well.

We are now almost four months with our DSDP, and the dash air works great! We have not had to run the roof air -ever - to stay cool.

Of course this can change over time, but so far we’re happy.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:57 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"PanJH".......Mine was doing the same as yours. The first time (18 months of ownership) Freightliner recharged the A/C, which was really low. They couldn't find a leak. The A/C worked well for a few months, but slowly lost it's cool. The morning of a 3 week trip, I heard the compressor clicking on and off......low Freon. A friend with a local shop recharged it for the trip, but by the time we were coming home, it was already starting to blow warm. No one could find the leak.

I decided that if it were a cut in a hose in the frame, it probably would have burst. I started checking all of the connections and finally found the leak. If you look at your side radiator, the bottom four inches is actually the A/C condenser. If you lay on your side, with your head between the tag tire and the radiator, you'll see the two Freon lines where they connect to the condenser. They use a rubber o-ring to seal the connection. I found my connection "muddy" on the lower hose. I took it back to Freightliner and they replaced the o-ring which was damaged.

They recharged the unit back in August and it has worked well since.

Obviously, this may not be your issue, but it's worth taking a look. If it is leaking, it will have a muddy look since the Freon and oil are mixing with road dirt. Mine had the plastic split wrap protecting the hoses, which you just have to peel back to look at the fittings. From under the coach, I could also see the back side of the compressor, which looked dry.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:28 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
"... the dealer claims that loosing refrigerant over the course of 1 year is normal for Newmar motorhomes. I never had that issue with other brands I've owned."
If he really believes this, you might want to find another dealer...
Old 12-06-2017, 06:08 AM   #7

The heater control valve is a important part of AC low performance. A simple test to see if the valve is working is after the engine has run for 15 min. and the control to set on cool check and see if the heater hoses running by AC system are hot. If they are hot when control is set on cool the heater control is stick open and is causing the AC to be at least 10 degree warmer. AC dash air working good should be around 30 degrees cooler then the outside air. Good idea put a gate valve on one of the heater hoses.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
For the 4th time in as many years, I've got our Dutch Star at the dealer to look at the dash air. It will work great for about a year, then it looses refrigerant and blows ambient temp air. Sure, I could add refrigerant out of a can , but there is a leak somewhere... the dealer claims that loosing refrigerant over the course of 1 year is normal for Newmar motorhomes. I never had that issue with other brands I've owned. Fortunately I have an extended service plan and take it in when other items pop up, so the cost for me is negligible.
What's been your experience ?
Now a days there are many effective ways to find an A/C leak in vehicles as well as house units. It is NEVER normal for an A/C unit to leak. The Tech is either lazy or does not know what he is doing. Sorry to be so blunt but it is the only real explanation.

Vehicle A/C units are more prone to leaks because unlike house units they are not hermetic. The system has fitting bolted together with "O" rings that can dry out over long periods of non use. If there is a sight glass in the system you can get a good idea of the freon level when looking at it with the unit running. Any sign of bubbles means it needs freon. Fully charged it should look like there is nothing in the sight glass. You can look for small leaks yourself by inspections with eye and fingers. A freon leak will take some oil along with it and even a very small leak will leave an oil stain over time. In the old days we used to use this method to find leaks that could not be seen. When we found a small (the size of a dime) oil stain in the dust next to a coil we would resolder the area even if no leakage was evident. In those problem units many times this would solve the problem. Oil should not be on the outside of the lines.

Hope this helps...Q
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:31 AM   #9

Just over 2 years and no problems at all. AC works great even in the desert Southwest. No need for roof air - yet.

It does seem that the AC cools better than the heater heats however. Coming back from Central Oregon the other day on a 40 degree day and had the heat all the way up and barley maintained a comfortable cabin. Was in Yellowstone last spring in pretty cool weather and didn't notice that.
X-OEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:43 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-OEM View Post
Just over 2 years and no problems at all. AC works great even in the desert Southwest. No need for roof air - yet.

It does seem that the AC cools better than the heater heats however. Coming back from Central Oregon the other day on a 40 degree day and had the heat all the way up and barley maintained a comfortable cabin. Was in Yellowstone last spring in pretty cool weather and didn't notice that.
The biggest problem with the EVANS AC has been the control valve and until the REDBARON tracked down the problem many of us placed a BALL VALVE on one of the heater hoses to cut off hot water from engine in the summer for better cooling from dash area.

This link will explain what he found so if you do not have good cooling in summer or no heat in winter check around heater hoses you may have a ball valve that needs to be opened.
Or your wire lead from control is not opening the control for heat or a vacuum tube has fallen off its tube plug.

All information on EVANS is in QT's # 3 second section with trouble shooting, who owns what and parts.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:34 AM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I doubt he has a heater control valve issue. His stated that he keeps losing Freon. Typically, the heater control works or doesn't work (installed wrong). This is a Freon loss problem. Once I found my leak, my dash A/C started blowing at 39 degrees versus the 46-52 when it was low on Freon.

His challenge is to find the leak.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:55 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes I agree, but he maybe not , your radiator find I remember.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:50 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I doubt he has a heater control valve issue. His stated that he keeps losing Freon. Typically, the heater control works or doesn't work (installed wrong). This is a Freon loss problem. Once I found my leak, my dash A/C started blowing at 39 degrees versus the 46-52 when it was low on Freon.

His challenge is to find the leak.
AGREE, If its freon loss then that may be it. As to the heater control valves well what we found on my coach ('17 Essex) was that one of the two control valves was not closing all the way and allowing hot water to bypass. Hence if selecting heat it would have not given an indication of not working whereas in the cooling mode it was influencing performance.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:14 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We had to have the "Evans" (bypass) valve replaced on the '00 DSDP. The air con was still working fine on the '02 DSDP when we traded it off in 2015.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, dash, dash air