Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2020, 05:57 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The shop I took the coach to for the AC repair didn’t have time to look at it, so I took it elsewhere and had it serviced today.

The tech evacuated the Freon, but there was only 0.2 oz! He vacuumed the system and then did a vacuum test for a leak. There was no leak. Added 4.5 lbs of R134a and I was on my way. $157.

Afterwards the temperature coming out of vents was 50-55 degrees with an outside temp of 90-95 degrees.

No idea what caused the loss of Freon and I half expect the problem will reoccur. If so, the shop will take a more through look.

On the down side, while it was parked at the shop, one of the employees backed into it. Fortunately only the passenger side mirror was broken. They called around to a few Newmar dealers and was quoted a 8 week turnaround time. I called Newmar parts and was quoted about 2 weeks and a cost of almost $2300. The shop is covering the repair.

I found out later in the evening / next day, that Ramco Engineering is the mirror vendor and they sell the mirror for about $1100. Unfortunately it was too late for the shop to make a change.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2020, 06:51 PM   #16

Well based on my experience, you're at the right place to get it fixed. Spartan tried repeatedly to fix my dash A/C (which was also blowing ambient air) and could not correct the issue. They ultimately gave up. I took the coach down to Newmar shortly thereafter for other work, and they told me they outsource all dash A/C work to a guy who knows the system inside and out. 1 hour flat and he had it working, better than it did even when the coach was new.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncnavy2000 View Post
Well based on my experience, you're at the right place to get it fixed. Spartan tried repeatedly to fix my dash A/C (which was also blowing ambient air) and could not correct the issue. They ultimately gave up. I took the coach down to Newmar shortly thereafter for other work, and they told me they outsource all dash A/C work to a guy who knows the system inside and out. 1 hour flat and he had it working, better than it did even when the coach was new.
Apologies I missed your last post that you aren't actually at the Newmar service center...
Old 07-17-2020, 09:52 PM   #18

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
Quote:

Do you know the of the person that works on it or do you have to go through Newmar?

My dash stopped working at about 18 months after owning the coach. Add some Freon and it work for about a month. Brought it to Cummins Jacksonville and they could not find a leak and just added some Freon. It lasted about a week, I added some more Freon and it last about a day or two. I now have an appointment with NIRVC to look at in September.

Maybe it got worse and it will be easy for NIRVC to find it. Or should I try to get an appointment with Newmar,even though it is out of the way.
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 07:32 AM   #19

Well, since it worked in the past, it had freon. Since it was then empty, it leaked out. So, hopeful thinking is that there was something in the shraeder valve that got vac'd out and now it seals.

Or someone is messing with your RV (unlikely but it happens).

Or, more than likely, there is a small to medium sized leak ie: a hose connection, a hose, a compressor seal etc.

Hopefully they put some dye on the system to detect the leak for next time it's not working.

Take a look at all fittings for dirt around them. When the freon leaks out, so does the compressor oil which then attracts dirt. If things are too dirty to tell, then give it a wash with engine degreaser / light powerwash and monitor over the next few months.
Old 07-18-2020, 11:48 PM   #20

I don't know the person's details but I wouldn't be surprised if you can find out from Newmar and book directly with him. I got the impression they are happy to outsource this particular function, and I'm sure wouldn't mind having you go direct.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:33 AM   #21

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
Quote:
I don't know the person's details but I wouldn't be surprised if you can find out from Newmar and book directly with him. I got the impression they are happy to outsource this particular function, and I'm sure wouldn't mind having you go direct.

Thanks
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 08:45 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
Do you know the of the person that works on it or do you have to go through Newmar?

My dash stopped working at about 18 months after owning the coach. Add some Freon and it work for about a month. Brought it to Cummins Jacksonville and they could not find a leak and just added some Freon. It lasted about a week, I added some more Freon and it last about a day or two. I now have an appointment with NIRVC to look at in September.

Maybe it got worse and it will be easy for NIRVC to find it. Or should I try to get an appointment with Newmar,even though it is out of the way.
Any auto AC tech can fix an RV AC system. This is not rocket science. Your system has a leak. It just has to be found and fixed.
Hopefully the "experts" that previously couldn't fix it put some UV dye on the last charge so that the leak can now be found with a UV light. Just takes time to look at all fittings, hoses, pinch points, compressor seal etc. But it doesn't take some Newmar expert to do so since there is nothing special about RV air.

You just need to find a lower labor rate conscientious AC tech that will take the time to actually diagnose the problem (a leak) instead of throwing some freon in and sending you on your way.

the tech just needs to know "the compressor is in the back on the motor, there are some really long hoses to the front, there is the condensor, the dryer, the expansion valve and the evaporator up front." and somewhere in all of that is a leak.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:55 AM   #23

Das c not working

Hello im new to this page i have an dash ac question
I have a 2002 37 u fleetwood discovery diesel pusher with a 330 cat . Replaced dash ac pump on motor , charged system , have light on dash working ,fan works on dash , no power to pump or fan under bus . Have ran 12 volt to pump and it engages . There has to be switch or fuse or relay any idea location of said components ?
Kevin Bick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:46 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Bick View Post
Hello im new to this page i have an dash ac question
I have a 2002 37 u fleetwood discovery diesel pusher with a 330 cat . Replaced dash ac pump on motor , charged system , have light on dash working ,fan works on dash , no power to pump or fan under bus . Have ran 12 volt to pump and it engages . There has to be switch or fuse or relay any idea location of said components ?
You should start your own thread...but...find the low freon cutoff switch and jump it. If the compressor coil engages with the AC on, then you have a freon leak or the switch is bad.

Why was the AC compressor (pump?) replaced? Did they also flush the system and replace the dryer and modulating valve? Dryer is mandatory, valve prevents problems.
Old 07-23-2020, 02:41 PM   #25

I just had my dash A/C repaired, it had developed a leak in the crimp fitting on the low side at the compressor. I found a local mechanic who had a portable hand crimper, he cut the hose and installed a new fitting. I also decided to replace the compressor and the drier since they are 18 years old. Also needed a new expansion valve, old one had a blockage. So far so good.
mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:04 AM   #26

Coming home yesterday had warm dash air this thread has helped me a bunch.....And Spartan had just done a new line this spring so wondering after reading another comment what they had done?
Taking to local truck shop I trust next week will try to post what problem was...Jay

Oh also have printed Evans instruction manual and looking at phone number it is a Michigan company..
Old 08-02-2020, 03:01 PM   #27

Make sure they throw some UV dye in with the new charge just in case whatever they fix this repair, that there will be a more tell tale sign of where it continues to leak (compressor seal, connection, rubbed thru hose etc.) That will save another visit if it's hard to find and small leak.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:42 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Make sure they throw some UV dye in with the new charge just in case whatever they fix this repair, that there will be a more tell tale sign of where it continues to leak (compressor seal, connection, rubbed thru hose etc.) That will save another visit if it's hard to find and small leak.
Will do going into a great local shop in the morning near home....Thanks

Tags
air, dash, dash air