Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2022, 08:51 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadge View Post
Can you offer a solution to my question, rather than pose a question to me knowing I stated I wasn't knowledgeable about a 40 ft supply run PLUS the additional 20 ft connection to the rear of my toad camera.
Read my original post please.
The answer to the second question is easy - just add a four prong trailer plug, where you only use two prongs for ground and power. The trailer plug is already weather proof, so that'd be the way to go. To keep the RV wiring neat you might want to do something like having a permanently mounted wire run from the trailer connection up to where the camera is mounted. And another run permanently mounted in the toad. Then connect whichever one you need based on where the camera will be. (if the camera is mounted high enough on the RV to see OVER the toad, then you probably wouldn't need to move it, just let it record behind the toad from on high)

The first question I think just requires a change in your thinking. Instead of pulling power from somewhere under the dash and running it the way to the back, pull the power from somewhere in the back. Based on the 40' length I'm assuming this is a DP. Is there a battery near the back that you could pull power from? Alternately you could pull power from one of the clearance lights. If you want to control when the camera is on/off from the dash you could put a switch on the dash that trips a solenoid - which in turn connects/disconnects the power to the camera. The solenoid would be in the back so you'd still have a short power run to the camera. The long run would be from the switch to the solenoid, which should be less sensitive to voltage drop.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2022, 09:02 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Your not answering my question.
I know I can mount a water protected rear camera.
My question was, has anyone installed a rear camera and where did you obtain the supply harness?
Wow, sorry for trying to help with possible other suggestions. I'm out of here!
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 09:44 AM   #17
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I read through this post three times now over the past several days. I have no idea what you're asking for. It sounds like you're asking for a "harness" that attaches one camera to the other?? The word harness is what's confusing....a harness for what?

If you're looking for power, there is power all over your coach. You have engine batteries at the rear, lights in cabinets, power in the engine compartment. This isn't the same as AC power that has load drops due to length. Pulling power from the rear batteries could be done with 14 gauge wire running up a back wall in the engine compartment. Just make sure you add an inline fuse.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 08:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I read through this post three times now over the past several days. I have no idea what you're asking for. It sounds like you're asking for a "harness" that attaches one camera to the other?? The word harness is what's confusing....a harness for what?

If you're looking for power, there is power all over your coach. You have engine batteries at the rear, lights in cabinets, power in the engine compartment. This isn't the same as AC power that has load drops due to length. Pulling power from the rear batteries could be done with 14 gauge wire running up a back wall in the engine compartment. Just make sure you add an inline fuse.
Here is the short story.
I want to install a dash cam on the windshield of my 40 ft long RV and have the rear camera installed on the rear window of my towed vehicle. Which is another 22 ft further away from the RV windshield mounted dashcam.

My thinking is I need a hard wire power supply harness of a total 66 ft, since the RV windshield dash cam and the rear towed camera are 60 ft apart and are not WIFI capable.
I know the simple answer is to purchase TWO dash cams to accomplish this.
I'm asking whether anyone has accomplished this just using a single front and rear dashcam installation.
Sorry for the confusion. Hope I made it clearer.
I appreciate your help. I'm just having difficulty conveying a clear explanation in the shortest post.
This will be my last attempt and I won't bother anyone else with this.
But I certainly appreciate your help.
Nadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 09:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Here is the short story.
I want to install a dash cam on the windshield of my 40 ft long RV and have the rear camera installed on the rear window of my towed vehicle. Which is another 22 ft further away from the RV windshield mounted dashcam.

My thinking is I need a hard wire power supply harness of a total 66 ft, since the RV windshield dash cam and the rear towed camera are 60 ft apart and are not WIFI capable.
I know the simple answer is to purchase TWO dash cams to accomplish this.
I'm asking whether anyone has accomplished this just using a single front and rear dashcam installation.
Sorry for the confusion. Hope I made it clearer.
I appreciate your help. I'm just having difficulty conveying a clear explanation in the shortest post.
This will be my last attempt and I won't bother anyone else with this.
But I certainly appreciate your help.
PS
My terminology of power harness is more apt described as the communication and power harness/cable, which the manufacturer provides for front and rear cameras to operate together.
The problem is the manufacturers only have a harness/cable 22ft long where I need 66ft length. LOL
Old 03-16-2022, 09:40 AM   #20
Community Moderator

Dash Cam for RV

Do you want to see the rear image in real time? This would be more like a rear view camera than a “dash cam”.

Dash cam is typically just recording to a memory card for playback at a later time.

Rear view camera is a different animal, and requires “smarts” that can reverse the image so it has the proper perspective for a driver looking at it in real time….(i.e. car on passenger side looks like driver side when viewed from screen facing back instead of front)

If truly wanting saved video for playback later, then getting two dash cams is the simple solution (and probably the cheaper solution as well)
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 06:57 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Do you want to see the rear image in real time? This would be more like a rear view camera than a “dash cam”.

Dash cam is typically just recording to a memory card for playback at a later time.

Rear view camera is a different animal, and requires “smarts” that can reverse the image so it has the proper perspective for a driver looking at it in real time….(i.e. car on passenger side looks like driver side when viewed from screen facing back instead of front)

If truly wanting saved video for playback later, then getting two dash cams is the simple solution (and probably the cheaper solution as well)
First of all, I want to thank you for hanging in there just to help me and answer my post.
We're getting close. I just read your latest post and I almost have gotten the answer I've been searching for.
Yes, I want to record the rear camera to the front dash cam's memory card for later viewing. Not as a live stream. In order for the cameras to operate together, they MUST use a hard wired harness/cable supplied within the new box.
The harness/cable supplied is only 21 ft long. I asked if anyone has installed a front and rear dash cam system on a 40 ft long motor coach and how did they accomplish the long length harness/cable needed. PHEW!
Thank you again.
I just want an answer if a 66 ft long HARDWIRED connection is doable.
I'm just about exhausted from getting the wrong answers or answers not answering my question. I have a low tolerance for these types of responses.
You my friend are almost there for me. Why or why not can a 66 ft long cable be used.
End of request.
Old 03-17-2022, 07:35 AM   #22
Community Moderator

Quote:
First of all, I want to thank you for hanging in there just to help me and answer my post.
We're getting close. I just read your latest post and I almost have gotten the answer I've been searching for.
Yes, I want to record the rear camera to the front dash cam's memory card for later viewing. Not as a live stream. In order for the cameras to operate together, they MUST use a hard wired harness/cable supplied within the new box.
The harness/cable supplied is only 21 ft long. I asked if anyone has installed a front and rear dash cam system on a 40 ft long motor coach and how did they accomplish the long length harness/cable needed. PHEW!
Thank you again.
I just want an answer if a 66 ft long HARDWIRED connection is doable.
I'm just about exhausted from getting the wrong answers or answers not answering my question. I have a low tolerance for these types of responses.
You my friend are almost there for me. Why or why not can a 66 ft long cable be used.
End of request.

Please give the exact brand/model of camera you are wanting to use…..it may help give better answers.

I suspect you may be the only person to attempt this!

The short answer is, it depends…..

How is the video being transmitted on the hardwired connection? Analog or digital? I suspect you will have issues extending the cable that long and experience electrical interference as the cable is now possibly picking up lots of stray RF signals unless lots of effort is made to shield from them.

You could also try to contact the manufacturer and ask this question (but I suspect with almost all being made in China, there is no knowledgeable person to contact in the USA with answers)

The other alternatives I see are:

1) splice in 40ft of additional wire to factory harness and try it.
2) use 2 dash cams and save yourself lots of grief.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 08:51 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
A great suggestion would be to try Google for your answers. There are manufacturers out there that have systems for trucks which include long cables for the rear cameras. One example is below and took me a couple of minutes to find:

https://www.blackboxmycar.com/collec...-plus-dash-cam

The only issue with my suggestion would be you'd have to do the research yourself, but the advantage would be not having to tolerate: "I'm just about exhausted from getting the wrong answers or answers not answering my question. I have a low tolerance for these types of responses."

BTW, the link above that I included only has a 49 foot cable, so you still would have to try GOOGLE on your own.
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 05:32 AM   #24

I've got to say, the ignore button is such a great feature!
uchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 12:10 PM   #25

If you go to Tadibrothers.com , I'm sure they will have a wireless solution to your problem. I just installed a wireless, high definition, camera to the rear of my 5'er. It has an exceptional image, and the installation was easy. They also have dvr options for their systems. If you call them on the phone, they will tell you exactly what you need.
Old 04-29-2022, 10:18 AM   #26

Dash Cam install

Quote:
I am looking to purchase a dash cam to install in my 2016 Ventana LE 4037.
Ive run into a roadblock trying to get my questions answered from several upper end camera manufacturers. IE:Vantrue X4S, Nexarbase 622 GW, Viofo A129 Pro being considered.
In an effort to not be verbose, trust me, I've looked into which camera is in the running for me, once I can get an answer. This decision is quite difficult when you read the negative comments posted, found even in the high end models.

Here is my question to anyone that has accomplished this install.
I wish to install a front and rear camera in my 40' RV.
Anyone able to obtain a manufacturer's supply wire harness to reach the rear of the RV to power the rear camera? I know how to run wire but don't have the knowledge of voltage drop that would influence the camera operation with installing a makeshift supply line harness.

Additionally, I would like to further make this 40 ft harness to be able to connect/disconnect at the tow bar, so that it would connect to my toad's rear camera and not necessarily having the RV rear camera operating while towing.
That's it and as best to my ability of not being verbose.

Thank you guys ahead of time.
Just thought I would update you all, on my efforts to install a Dash camera on the front of my RV and have it hard wired to the rear windshield of my towed vehicle. This would constantly record forward travel and rear travel at the same time.
To answer some of the questions posed of why would I want to do this in the first place? It's because I had two accidents in one year without benefit of camera recorders witnessing these incidents. I know, I know. So I'll explain to those who will pose "I SHOULD SLOW DOWN"!
The first was a driver stopped in travel lane to gauwk at shoulder accident and chose to ignore my AIR HORN blast and caused me to bump into him. No camera recording incident, however Trooper at the scene witnessed the incident and subsequently found him at fault and issued him a summons.

The second in same year, occurred as we were STOPPED in bumper to bumper traffic. We're in left hand lane of four lane travel when the right hand lane began to move up. At this point the pickup behind my toad, also moved up even though I hadn't even taken off my emergency brake because my lane had not moved for several minutes.
The driver banged into the rear of my toad causing the rear deck lid to be pushed in.
When I asked the driver for her license and insurance ID, she denied having moved, saying her vehicle was 3 feet away and Quote " She didn't feel anything".
Long story short when trooper arrived and spoke with witnesses she too was issued a summons.

SO, you see my angst of not having a recorder of front view as well as well as rear view recording.

Back to my findings.
You can not just run TRAILER WIRING nor any other wire longer than 16" without utilizing an" inline repeater ".
After many texting with techs at showmecables.com the end result, in my case was the camera ALDOLFO manufacturer uses a USB Mini B having incompatible internal contact points which was not compatable with regular/normal USB Mini B connectors.

So, from my point of view, I will purchase a separate single front camera to record the front RV travel view.
When traveling with the towed vehicle I will also operate the separate cameras in the tow to be able to record/protect my REAR.

Thank you all for your input.
Old 04-29-2022, 10:29 AM   #27

Correction for typing 16" inches instead of 16' feet in sentence just below,
Back to my findings.

Tags
dash, motor, motor home