Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2023, 04:24 PM   #15

I ended up mounting it low on the windshield, in the center. The camera view catches a little bit of the edge of the lower wiper blade, but I am okay with that. The Garmin “parking mode” power adapter is nice. The camera activates when the ignition is turned on, but then goes into standby mode when the ignition is turned off. It will capture video and alert me if the coach is bumped or if it detects motion in front of the coach.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2023, 04:24 PM   #16

Mounted mine high in the center. It’s behind the shade so not in my field of view.

I wired it into the TV interrupt circuit so it powers on/off based on the parking brake condition.
Old 03-31-2023, 04:35 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_J View Post
I’d love some pics. I’ve got a new coach arriving in a few weeks and am always looking for ideas for mounting things like this.

Here are the requested pics. I need to make a correction. The mounts are not above the bottom of the cabinets, the wipers don't go that high. I knew I didn't see the camera when driving, but that is because I keep the shades down a bit and they end up covering the camera. The center mount was first, under the EZTag. But then I realized during rain, it would not work very well. Then I mounted the second one in line with the driver at the same level which is in the sweep of the wiper.

Image 1 is the power switch in the center overhead cabinet.

Image 2 is the 12 V outlet behind the cabinet.

Image 3 is the windshield with the shades up showing both mounts.

Image 4 is the left mount with the camera attached and the day shade in the driving position. Normally the night shade is here also. This is just the way I like to drive and minimize heat gain off of the windshield. (Sorry it's sideways, I wish the forum developers would fix this undocumented feature.)

Image 5 is a close up of the camera with the slight down angle.

Have a Wonderful Day!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image_001.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	237.8 KB
ID:	389309   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image_002.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	389310  

Name:	Image_003.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	389311   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image_004.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	287.4 KB
ID:	389312  

Name:	Image_005.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	389313  
ScotS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 10:28 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
I have mine mounted in the center just above the windshield wipers. The images are good. Mine has lane departure, proximity and traffic just moved alarms which I can see. I ran the wires in the groove between the dash and the windshield where they are not visible. I have it plugged into the USB on the driver's side. No problem with the windshield wipers.
2020 Tahoe LT
mahdi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 07:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C. View Post
I ended up mounting it low on the windshield, in the center. The camera view catches a little bit of the edge of the lower wiper blade, but I am okay with that. The Garmin “parking mode” power adapter is nice. The camera activates when the ignition is turned on, but then goes into standby mode when the ignition is turned off. It will capture video and alert me if the coach is bumped or if it detects motion in front of the coach.
I also have a new dash cam that will detect motion when I get the hard wire kit installed. It’s a different brand from Garmin.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 08:13 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I believe just about any of the popular dash cameras will have parking mode, I know my Viofo A119 V3 does.

The following site has a nice comparison tool and recommendations Dash Cam Talk
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 12:30 PM   #21

It’s a nice feature. It’s especially nice when you’ve got onboard wifi as well as a power connection so that it won’t deplete your batteries.
Old 04-02-2023, 12:39 PM   #22

Mine is low center.
Here is my dashcam playlist on YouTube.
All videos are downgraded to 1080 from 4K

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...t5DI3hDDehTnah
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 06:21 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
In my Ventana LE 3412, I mounted it high in the middle of the center of the windshield, higher than the bottom of the shades. Since, it has a suction cup mount, putting it down low, it would be behind where the wipers are. It's close to the glass, but has a slight downward tilt. I ran the 12v power cord up over the top of the shade an under and into the center cabinet where the 120v breakers and 12v fuse block is. Used a 12v socket and connected to an open position. As long as it is plugged in, it stays on. I plug in the camera at the beginning of the trip and mount it to the windshield. I remove at the end of each trip.

I didn't want another cord going across the dash, so this works great.
Old 04-04-2023, 09:47 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Newmar puts them in the center of the windshield just above the wipers. Look at their new models.
2020 Tahoe LT
mahdi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 02:43 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Mine is low center, just left of the Mobile Eye. Works well and I can see the display to know it is working.

Dog is optional but good tool for clearing food scraps from the floor.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dash cam.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	331.0 KB
ID:	389644  
Old 04-06-2023, 05:33 AM   #26

At the risk of sounding naïve, is the main purpose of the dash cam for documentation in case of an accident or is there more to the story that I’m not getting?
Old 04-06-2023, 08:21 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ri-Di View Post
At the risk of sounding naïve, is the main purpose of the dash cam for documentation in case of an accident or is there more to the story that I’m not getting?
Proof. Will do what any surveillance camera will do. What’s the downside to having it? If it works against you, then don’t use it.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 09:45 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ri-Di View Post
I think that’s generally correct. Some people also use them for other reasons like documenting a particular road, drive, or campground. I like the parking monitoring function mentioned earlier in the thread.

People in cars behave erratically when driving around RVs. I think this creates a greater risk of an incident, and it’s nice to have a recording if something bad happens.

Tags
ace, dash