Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2017, 10:33 PM   #71

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
flickering dash lights

just finished our trip north in a new 2017 Discovery with freightliner chassis and did 12 nights and 2500 miles before we had to drive at night. I was kind of surprised when I turned on the lights (first time driving after dusk) and the dash lights flickered continuously. I was even more surprised when I googled and found this thread! It seems to be a very common problem and they can't seem to figure it out? Seems to be a lot of "work-arounds" - all of which we'll try of course, but isn't it surprising that they can't fix the problem? I'll be following this thread for additional updates and thanks everyone for the info.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2017, 10:39 PM   #72

As I've said several times in this thread, there IS a fix. There's a delivery problem with it right now but that's getting sorted out.
ChassisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:22 AM   #73

Gaffney SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChassisGuy View Post
As I've said several times in this thread, there IS a fix. There's a delivery problem with it right now but that's getting sorted out.
I have an appointment with Freightliner in Gaffney this August. Would you happen to have any contact names and email addresses that I can use in an attempt to address my flickering when I am there?

Thanks

Gary E Seyer
garyseyer@hotmail.com
Sireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:58 PM   #74

This is what I got when I emailed freightliner about the issue in October 2016

Mr Benson,
Our engineers are currently working on a fix for this issue. I have added
your RV vin number to the list of owners to call when the fix is available.

Sincerely,
Ricky Houser
FCCC Representative

Date: 10/22/2016 12:14:25 PM
To: fcccservice@daimler.com

Subject: dimmer switch

when the lights are turned on, and the dimmer switch has the dash lights on at maximum, they are fine. When I use the dimmer switch and dim the lights, the dash lights flicker. What can I do to fix?
ScottyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:35 AM   #75

Do people even read through this thread or just post?
Old 04-19-2017, 10:11 AM   #76

At least some do. I now know there is a list of people to contact. Laughable, since FCCC has a list of ALL the units with defective software. Guess they weren't going to tell the rest of us? I also find it amazing they didn't have a workable plan to perform SW updates, after all, who could have foreseen the need? You know, besides every other manufacturer in the universe.
AzGoldDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:22 AM   #77

It's a corruption in the method of transmission from the laptop to the lightbar. It has nothing to do with a workable plan.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:27 PM   #78

Work all due respect, their plan doesn't work. By definition, a "workable" plan would work. It is 99% unlikely the data is being corrupted by the laptop or a data cable used by billions of people daily. The only reasonable assumption is there is a flaw in the light bar's comm path or it is susceptible to electronic interference from a nearby source. This should have been easily observed by real world testing.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:32 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzGoldDigger View Post
Work all due respect, their plan doesn't work. By definition, a "workable" plan would work. It is 99% unlikely the data is being corrupted by the laptop or a data cable used by billions of people daily. The only reasonable assumption is there is a flaw in the light bar's comm path or it is susceptible to electronic interference from a nearby source. This should have been easily observed by real world testing.
It is in fact corruption. The Nexiq device is what we use. There is no flaw in the datalink. That would mess up everything. I know what the resolution around this is.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:06 PM   #80

By definition, data corruption is the transformation of a correct numerical value into an alternate, incorrect value. It does not happen by magic. If the transformation is not due to electrical interference on a communication channel, it would have to be software bug. Can you explain...
Old 04-19-2017, 07:17 PM   #81

Quote:
By definition, data corruption is the transformation of a correct numerical value into an alternate, incorrect value. It does not happen by magic. If the transformation is not due to electrical interference on a communication channel, it would have to be software bug. Can you explain...
Listen, I'm just a dumb mechanic and the use of "data corruption" was my own interpretation of the issue. Something is happening when the software update is sent from the laptop to the lightbar. I was told it was the diagnostic adapter causing it. The lightbar manufacture does not utilize this method and that's why the units built now have the correct software.

So, again per your definition, it is data corruption.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:58 PM   #82

I've read a lot of your posts; you are certainly not dumb. I certainly didn't mean to offend. Im a little frustrated that this is taking so long. I also admit to having very high expectations from top flight companies like Freightliner
Old 04-19-2017, 08:00 PM   #83

Quote:
I've read a lot of your posts; you are certainly not dumb. I certainly didn't mean to offend. Im a little frustrated that this is taking so long. I also admit to having very high expectations from top flight companies like Freightliner
I'll admit it has taken a long time to come up with a fix. It was a very specific sequence of events that caused the issue and I know the lightbar manufacturer had to figure out why.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:55 PM   #84

another one for the list 2016 THOR TUSCANY XTE 36MQ , have spoken to freightliner and as every one says aware? great- also on the dash issues have 14,500 miles on the odometer and just droped to 106 miles? spoke to freightliner again and they are saying its a flaw in the screen light bar not communicating with the ECM ? AND ? meanwhile if i drive at night i need to throw a towel over the dash - spend all this money on a beautiful truck and they put the cheapest plastic dash made in these new units
tombottcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, light, lights