RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2015, 10:28 PM   #1

Dash lights flickering

Has anyone experienced the dash gauge illuminate lights flickering (rapidly cycling on and off). The gauges operate just fine. It is the illumination in the gauge that flickers. This has happened twice while on our trip. Can't think of any commonality when it happens other than it was rainy (both times) and dark enough during the day to turn on the headlights. My fog light cracked and lost its lens within a few days of our factory delivery. I don't know if this is related. I left a voice mail with Freightliner. They didn't return my call.

We have a '15 Ventana.

2015 Newmar Ventana 3636, Cummins ISB
2014 JKU Wrangler, SMI AF1, Blue Ox Baseplate and Tow Bar

HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2015, 07:19 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
This has happened to me as well - I thought something was wrong at first. I'm not at my coach right now to verify which button to use, but you can adjust the brightness of the gauge backlighting. One of these brightness settings makes the lights flicker. I figured it's an option to use to keep you awake.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:00 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 2015 Dutchstar and have experienced a similar problem. If I touch or slightly giggle the dash headlight switch the headlights will flicker on and off. I have consulted with Freightliner and they have ordered a new rocker switch to replace the faulty one.
I suggest you talk with Freightliner and describe what is happening.
Hope this helps.
2BU Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:40 PM   #4

Update...I talked with Freightliner yesterday. The common denominator for me was rain. Both times that I experienced the problem, it was raining. I was told that if one of my clearance lamps wasn't sealed against moisture, that this could cause a shot, or that there was a module that could cause it, or as someone mentioned a faulty switch on the dash. It was suggested that I go to a FL place when I get home for diagnostics.

2015 Newmar Ventana 3636, Cummins ISB
2014 JKU Wrangler, SMI AF1, Blue Ox Baseplate and Tow Bar
Old 06-13-2016, 05:07 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Most recent update...

Freightliner has still not resolved this issue but they are aware and are working on it.

The instrument panel lights constantly flicker when the dash dimmer is set to anything other than full on. At full on setting the lighting works perfectly.
It acts exactly like a bad intermittent ground or a bad rheostat but Freightliner insists that neither is the problem.

I brought my coach to Gaffney specifically to deal with this issue. The response at that time was that corporate was aware of the problem and a service center had resolved the problem on at least one occasion after replacing several parts but were not able to determine the exact solution.

The plan at that time was to order 5 different parts and send them to my local service center then have them carefully install and troubleshoot to try to determine the exact fix.

I talked to corporate about 2 weeks ago to find if the parts had come in and was informed that further research on Freightliner's part has determined that it is likely a SOFTWARE problem, not a parts problem. They are now waiting for a software update from the vendor and will let me know when it is available. They offered no indication of when this update will be ready.

I really want to get this fixed but it is more of a nuisance to me than an actual problem. We rarely drive at night and we just leave the dash dimmer set to full (no flicker).

I am now aware of at least 6 coach owners with this issue and would love to hear if there are others out there. (misery loves company)
Norm Mac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:48 PM   #6

Thanks for the update Norm. Like you, I don't generally drive at night. I have on occasion driven into a storm where the ambient lighting was such that I wanted to see the gauges better, or the law in the area mandated that the lights be on when using the windshield wipers. In those cases I had the "light show" on the dash.

Interested in the proposed software update once it comes available. Wonder if FL will issue a recall.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:06 PM   #7

Flickering fog lights

I have a 2016 Scepter with the same dash light issue. However, if I turn on my fog lights even with the dash lights on full bright, my fogs flicker in sink with the dash.
QUESTION: has anyone else experienced this???
popatanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by popatanz View Post
I have a 2016 Scepter with the same dash light issue. However, if I turn on my fog lights even with the dash lights on full bright, my fogs flicker in sink with the dash.

QUESTION: has anyone else experienced this???

If you are on a Freightliner Custom chassis, you should give them a call. This is a known problem and they are working on a solution. You will have to have the last 6 digits of your VIN number. Call 1-800-FTL-HELP.

For now, if you have the ability to turn your dash lights fully up, this seems to be a temporary fix.

Best of luck. I am waiting for the solution as well.
Old 10-15-2016, 03:08 AM   #9

I too have this issue on a 2016 DS 4018. Freightliner Gaffney is aware of it but no known resolution yet.
freeride95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 05:22 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Me 2

Add me to the list. I got the "known problem, wait to get the SW fix from FL" from the Avondale AZ service center months ago, still waiting.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:23 PM   #11

Dash lights flickering

I talked with FL in Gaffney about a month ago. The vendor that supplies the part had a fix, but it was in testing (at FL or the vendor...I don't recall which). Per FL, they won't release the fix until it is fully vetted. Makes sense to me.

If you have the problem, it is important for each owner to contact FL and get your coach on their list so they can contact you when the fix gets rolled out.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:28 PM   #12
Rd1

I have a 17 FL chassis with same problem. It flickers even with dimmer at full!!!. I also have some of the features on the digital display go on/off with dashes displayed. like the Gallons used for the trip. among others. FL does not have a solution yet. Also the outer edges of the cruise control switch gets noticeably warm. That could be the switch. the local FL dealer will replace that one in a couple of weeks to see if it gets resolved.
Rd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:37 AM   #13

In my earlier post I wasn't as clear as I should have been. The dash light flicker issue is a know issue and as reported, they are working on it.

However, when speaking with the FL help line it seems my report of fog lights also flickering in sink with the dash lights was new news as of 10/13. My question is do others have the fog light issue? This happens a few minuets after they are turned on. I am thinking it may be heat related in the FL Headlight module.

My thought was, I may wire the fog lights through a relay and use the FL 12VDC going to the fog lights to trigger the relay. This will reduce the current/heat through the FL headlight module and may resolve the issue. Happy Trails to all.
popatanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 05:01 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Add me to the list too. The dash lights worked perfectly the last time I drove at night, but yesterday I turned on the headlights and they immediately started flickering, and adjusting the brightness made no difference. I'll be calling FL today.

[edit] Weird how searching this forum for "newmar dash flicker" did not turn up this thread, but a quick Google search and this was the #1 result.

marknpeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, light, lights