Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2021, 09:40 AM   #1

Dash Password?

While looking for another setting in my 2020 DS I came across this screen in the setting screen. Since this is the first time I have seen it, I am not sure if it is asking me to set a password or to enter one. Two sets of numbers, neither are from me. Can't find anything in the Newmar or Spartan manuals. Any ideas are apprecheated. As always, Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Password Image.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	320943  
lrwinddancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2021, 05:52 PM   #2

We have this screen on our 2019 as well. As I understand,, this is an tech area they don't want owners snooping around in as you can really mess up your rig. Just my two cents regarding what I was told.
TheRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrwinddancer View Post
While looking for another setting in my 2020 DS I came across this screen in the setting screen. Since this is the first time I have seen it, I am not sure if it is asking me to set a password or to enter one. Two sets of numbers, neither are from me. Can't find anything in the Newmar or Spartan manuals. Any ideas are apprecheated. As always, Thanks
Well, well, itís finally hit the forum. I purchased the Valor hand held computer so that I could change my tire pressure values. I tried changing my toad values with the computer and an NIRVC Mechanic and when we were finished, the handheld showed ďsuccessĒ. However, it did not take. Previous to this attempt, I had an NIRVC Mechanic add the toad to the system. I watched as he used the handheld computer and accessed that PIN area of the dash and adjusted the tire pressure limits - he was on the phone with Don in customer service at Valor. Now, I called Valor and their customer service was definitely not customer oriented or friendly at all. I requested the PIN so that I could get into the dash and manually set the limits and they responded, ďWe donít give that information out for our system.Ē I explained to him that I paid over $350,000.00 for my motorhome and that I own it and it is now my dash and it was not their property and that there was not any proprietary paperwork that I signed and waived any of my rights to any equipment installed on my coach and that I would like the PIN. He flatly said ďnoĒ. I tactfully explained to him that Valor no longer owned the dash and that I did, he didnít care and was rude. I was NOT rude to him at all. He told me to call Spartan. I called Spartan and they said that they couldnít help me and said that I had to call Newmar. I called Newmar and spoke to Rick and explained why I needed the PIN. Rick said that he would call Spartan and Valor and call me back. After 20 minutes, Rick called me back and told me that they would not release the PIN to me so that I could perform the changes. I told Rick that this is ridiculous that I would have to pay an hourly rate of $170.00 every time I had the tires on the toad rotated and reset the TPMS!!?? The Tech at NIRVC stated that the Valor Handheld TPMS Computer that cost me $285.00 should reset the in dash computer, but that doesnít seem to be the case in the two times that I have tried and the handheld showed ďsuccessĒ. So, anybody out there than knows better? I am, to say the least, frustrated and irritated (which are one in the same!). Sorry that this posting is so long!

Bruce
DS15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:57 PM   #4

Howdy Bruce, WOW, I am with you on the tool. I have the same thinking, I know I will need to change my pressure for different loads. I had no idea it was going to be this involved.
Do I need to go into the screen with a password to change my base line for the Valor system? That would be nuts. Guess I will dig into this more. Thanks for your input.
Old 03-11-2021, 10:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrwinddancer View Post
Howdy Bruce, WOW, I am with you on the tool. I have the same thinking, I know I will need to change my pressure for different loads. I had no idea it was going to be this involved.
Do I need to go into the screen with a password to change my base line for the Valor system? That would be nuts. Guess I will dig into this more. Thanks for your input.
Hey Lynn, if you can find anything out let me know. From my conversations with Spartan, Newmar and Valor - Valor has the PIN and that is what we need to access the settings portion of the dash. I have seen the settings area for the tire pressure configuration and it looked to be fairly easy to use when I watched the Tech change settings, it wasnít rocket science stuff! I can maneuver my way through late model automobile and the Cummins CAN systems with my several (very expensive $900.00 +) computer code readers, so I donít think Iím an idiot, but the Valor Rep I talked with sure treated me that way!

Please keep me posted. Maybe if everyone started complaining about it we could get somewhere, like getting the PIN for the coach we paid for and own!!!

Bruce
Old 03-11-2021, 11:46 PM   #6

As I understood, this PIN protected area contains more systems than just the TPMS, but don't quote me on that.
TheRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 05:16 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS15 View Post
I had an NIRVC Mechanic add the toad to the system. I watched as he used the handheld computer and accessed that PIN area of the dash and adjusted the tire pressure limits - he was on the phone with Don in customer service at Valor........
Just thinkin' out loud....

Would it be worth your while to ask the mechanic at NIRVC for the code?

g
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 08:15 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't have a Spartan chassis but I do have a 2021 DSDP on Freightliner coming. From what I understand at this point is I will have the same issue. Since the new coach will be delivered with high tire pressures (120-125lb) I know there will be at least one adjustment. Can the TPMS system on the coach be turned off? I don't really need the aggravation and I'll just use my TST-507...which is probably more accurate anyway.
GW4607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:00 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post

g
Iíve had good results doing this. Also they are often pretty simple (the passwords that is....) like 0123, or the last four of your vin - something thatís hard to forget. Might try some number combos and see what happens.
Old 03-12-2021, 11:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post

g
I did, he said he couldnít give it out otherwise he could lose his job!

Bruce
Old 03-12-2021, 11:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Iíve had good results doing this. Also they are often pretty simple (the passwords that is....) like 0123, or the last four of your vin - something thatís hard to forget. Might try some number combos and see what happens.
I did, last four of the VIN, last four of the coach number and combos there of, did not work for me.

Bruce
Old 03-12-2021, 11:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRod View Post
As I understood, this PIN protected area contains more systems than just the TPMS, but don't quote me on that.
You are correct, it includes a lot of other parameters, but the way I see it, if I am dumb enough to mess with something that I shouldnít, then itís on me and I get to pay for the tow and the hourly rate to fix it. Itís just stupid to have to pay an hourly rate further down the road when my coach is out of warranty just to change the TPMS parameters. I donít need the government or businesses to tell me what I can or cannot do to something that I own. I am not changing any government related emissions stuff or increasing my top speed, really?

Bruce
Old 03-12-2021, 12:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW4607 View Post
I don't have a Spartan chassis but I do have a 2021 DSDP on Freightliner coming. From what I understand at this point is I will have the same issue. Since the new coach will be delivered with high tire pressures (120-125lb) I know there will be at least one adjustment. Can the TPMS system on the coach be turned off? I don't really need the aggravation and I'll just use my TST-507...which is probably more accurate anyway.
Well, guess what, youíll need the PIN to get into it to disable it. Iíve been there too and asked the Spartan Rep at Newmar when we were at Nappanee if he could adjust or disable the parameters on the TPMS system, he said he couldnít due to ďliability issuesĒ to the manufacturer. Maybe youíll have better luck with Freightliner, but with the way this has gone for me, I donít think it will. Good Luck!

Bruce
Old 03-12-2021, 02:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS15 View Post
Hey Lynn, if you can find anything out let me know. From my conversations with Spartan, Newmar and Valor - Valor has the PIN and that is what we need to access the settings portion of the dash. I have seen the settings area for the tire pressure configuration and it looked to be fairly easy to use when I watched the Tech change settings, it wasnít rocket science stuff! I can maneuver my way through late model automobile and the Cummins CAN systems with my several (very expensive $900.00 +) computer code readers, so I donít think Iím an idiot, but the Valor Rep I talked with sure treated me that way!

Please keep me posted. Maybe if everyone started complaining about it we could get somewhere, like getting the PIN for the coach we paid for and own!!!

Bruce
Howdy Bruce,
I just got off the phone with Don of Valor. He confirmed for me that you do not need to go to the password lock out area to do anything with or about the Valor TPMS. Including setting new base line values or seting up the Toad tire sensors. He is a great guy and knows his line of product very well. Give him a call. PM me if you need his contact info, but I think it is in this thread.
Lynn

Tags
dash