Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2015, 01:49 PM   #1

Dash radio/navigation unit in 2105 DS

I am thinking about ordering a new 4369 DS and am interested in knowing the brand of radio they use. Can anyone help me out?
dbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2015, 02:27 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Yes we have a 2015 DS and out dash radio/GPS is a Clarion I don't care for it much. It keeps pulling me off the highway even though the program input states to use highway only. plus I can't keep losing the Blutooth connections to our 2 phones our the Tablet.
TheMilnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:27 PM   #3
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeck View Post
I am thinking about ordering a new 4369 DS and am interested in knowing the brand of radio they use. Can anyone help me out?
Our 2015 Ventana came with a Clarion NX 602 unit. We've only used while taking the test drive to get back to the dealer and on the way home from the dealer (150-200 miles). It worked well and directed us both times perfectly. I didn't experience the routing errors that TANDA did. One trip was on surface streets, the other major highways.

I paired it with my iPhone 6. Made and received phone calls without issue during the trip home.

No complaints so far. The Navigation seems as good (or bad) as any of my cars (2012 Jeep 2013 Audi).

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:01 PM   #4

Thank you for the rapid response.
dbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:18 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"dbeck".......I found the Clarion to be a very sophisticated radio in terms of the options it has. It works well as a GPS, has Bluetooth for your phone and XM is installed. With that said, I also have issues with it. The GPS does a great job of showing the lane you need to be in and off ramps, but the screen is small. The radio has AM/FM/XM, but the sound quality is poor. I added speakers to mine which made it better, but not great. "PDRJohn" did a neat job of adding larger speakers to his, yet made them look factory. I was going to copy his work, but I didn't have the room to do what he did.

I'm a big gadget guy and loved my Pioneer AVIC D-1, it was a great radio and GPS with a steering wheel mounted remote. Typically, I would have tossed the Clarion and replaced it with the Pioneer, but the Clarion has enough features and works just well enough to keep me from doing the upgrade.....at least for now.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:32 PM   #6
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"dbeck".......I found the Clarion to be a very sophisticated radio in terms of the options it has. It works well as a GPS, has Bluetooth for your phone and XM is installed. With that said, I also have issues with it. The GPS does a great job of showing the lane you need to be in and off ramps, but the screen is small. The radio has AM/FM/XM, but the sound quality is poor. I added speakers to mine which made it better, but not great. "PDRJohn" did a neat job of adding larger speakers to his, yet made them look factory. I was going to copy his work, but I didn't have the room to do what he did.

I'm a big gadget guy and loved my Pioneer AVIC D-1, it was a great radio and GPS with a steering wheel mounted remote. Typically, I would have tossed the Clarion and replaced it with the Pioneer, but the Clarion has enough features and works just well enough to keep me from doing the upgrade.....at least for now.
dbeck,

Unfortunately you have to take all of these reviews (including mine) with a grain of salt. Everybody has a different opinion and perspective. I am a recording engineer by trade so I do know "good" and "bad" sound - or at least I ought to by now.

At least in my 2015 Ventana, the sound quality from the driver's seat is excellent with the Clarion. The stereo image is very focused with the two speakers mounted directly above the windshield. My Previous MH (Winnebago) was unlistenable. The sound was lost in a washy unfocused mess.

There is a bit lacking in the low end but I prefer that to a more true mid-hi range with no phasing issues. I haven't even looked into if the AV subwoofer can be brought into play. After all, you are rumbling down the road in a 50,000 lbs brick. I don't expect (or even want) it to sound like my studio.

Initial first impressions of the Clarion and the Newmar installed radio speakers are that I'll probably leave them be. You could do FAR worse with a factory radio.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:05 PM   #7

'15s got the new better speakers. My stock speakers were OEM CB speakers out of a '76 Kenworth.

I upped mine to 5 1/4" components with a powered 8" shallow sub woofer.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:56 PM   #8

I have the 2015 Ventana with a Clarion NX-602 and find the GPS functionality to be less than what I had with the 2013 Itasca Meridian. The underlying GPS software is from the same company (Navisite) but I'm unable to put in specific information regarding my vehicle (weight, length, trailer, etc.) to aid the GPS in properly routing around restricted roads, bridges that can't support the weight and other dangerous areas. The Itasca had the functionality. I can select various vehicle types such as bus, truck, emergency or auto but these don't really help. Also, the routing could be better. It's taken us in a few circles. I have an open ticket with Navi right now to see if an upgrade to the system or the software is available.
TNBased is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:18 PM   #9
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBased View Post
I have the 2015 Ventana with a Clarion NX-602 and find the GPS functionality to be less than what I had with the 2013 Itasca Meridian. The underlying GPS software is from the same company (Navisite) but I'm unable to put in specific information regarding my vehicle (weight, length, trailer, etc.) to aid the GPS in properly routing around restricted roads, bridges that can't support the weight and other dangerous areas. The Itasca had the functionality. I can select various vehicle types such as bus, truck, emergency or auto but these don't really help. Also, the routing could be better. It's taken us in a few circles. I have an open ticket with Navi right now to see if an upgrade to the system or the software is available.

Have you gone to the Naviextras site yet? I haven't registered my Clarion there yet but I've had other vehicle nav systems in the past that use that software and they usually have applicable OS updates as well as a one time map update.

When I get over this rotten sinus infection/cold/what have you, that is on the list of about 500 things I have to do/check out concerning the new Ventana.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:14 AM   #10

Yes, the updates were done using the Navi Tool Box. I updated the OS, MCU, MPG, etc. But, I haven't updated the map yet. Although the motorhome was purchased new in February I don't see any way to get the map updated without paying $65. I called Newmar and they didn't have a free upgrade option. But, I'm not sure the map update would provide the capability I'm looking for. I guess I have the puzzle with no answer. Newmar didn't have an answer, Clarion is unreachable and Navisite told me to select "Settings, Truck, Setup Truck Profile". I don't have the option "Setup Truck Profile".
TNBased is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:53 AM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'm not a sound aficionado and I'm half deaf and will agree "newmarpusherman" has a better ear. I know I liked the sound from my Pioneer stereo and speakers, much better than the Clarion. It sounds like the 2015 got better speakers. Changing mine out made it better. The 2014 OEM speakers are 4" in diameter, had no markings other than China on the back.

Here they are....I think they have a metal value that is higher than the speaker value. I found them on line from National Bus Parts. They cost $7.56 each. SPEAKER ULTIMATE 4" 6 OZ UNIVERSAL

Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:54 PM   #12

Guys,
we just picked up our new DS 4369 with a Clarion NX602. I was able to get in to the Nav once, however tried to use it on the way home and the GPS will not open. just get 2 beeps. I've read the directions and can't see anything I'm doing wrong. Touch the icon and it should open. Any Ideas?,
Old 05-12-2015, 08:17 AM   #13

Good Morning,

So assuming, you have a 2015 DSDP and you were dissatisfied with the Nav or Radio or both! What would you upgrade to that would resolve the issues. For us, the Nav is way more important than the Music as we have other resources for that.

Thanks,

Jeff
Jeff426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:06 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The Clairon n602 navi is about a$1000 option and not worth it. Clarion quit makings it a long time ago. The street I live on is ten years old and not in navi system tried to update wanted $65.00. Newmar must have a lot of them in stock. Probably got them at discount since they were discontinued. Brought a Garmin RV 760 with free updates and love it. Better option than n602 and cheaper even if you add radio.
Switt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, radio