Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2020, 01:04 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Dash switch removal?

Hi guys,

I am trying to re-arrange a couple of my dash switches that are in my 2020 DS. There is one group of seven switches to the right of my steering wheel. Thinking that the entire switch group comes out in one piece, I tried prying up the outer/larger trim with my trim tool until I thought it would break the trim piece, but it wouldn't budge. So then I tried to pry up the individual recessed switch within the outer trim, but still no luck.

On my Tiffin Allegro Bus, you could pry it out or squeeze the little tabs on the back of the switch easily and pull it up. On these, I have tried several times, but I can't seem to get any to release. What am I doing wrong?
tqqest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2020, 01:54 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Following...
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 04:07 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Back a few months ago I was replacing one of the Carling L series switches in my Ventana and documented it in this thread: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/any...ed-474143.html

After I spent a frustrating amount of time trying similar things that you listed I took a Simpson Strong Tie I had on hand and turned it into a switch release tool. Once I had that it took about 2 minutes pressing on the top tabs and bottom tabs of the switch. I placed the tool between the switch bank holder and the switch - and that pressed on the plastic tabs such that I could then wiggle out the switch.

The tip is wider because there are portions of the switch you have to work around. In my case I measured the shape against the replacement switch.

There was a little bit of slack - but not a whole lot on the wires in that harness. They are labeled to an extent but it's hard to read that up under the dash.

- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Remover.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	675.8 KB
ID:	281209  
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 05:43 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the great idea Richard!

I will make one as soon as I get home to make it easy to get the switches out.
I finally just kept trying after taking the top of the dash off, fooling around until I was able to squeeze the first back release, and was then able to get them out. Way harder than the Carlson in the Tiffin. Took a little skin off the old arm, but I just finished with my switch modifications. The window switch by the drivers arm just popped out with my trim tool no problem. I guess the plastic is not as sticky or maybe the hole is cut a little bigger. My black plastic dash ones really did not want to release!
tqqest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 01:33 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
tqqest,
How did you arrange them?
I am not real happy with the order of mine either.

Thanks Tom
ShelbyTom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 07:00 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Tom!

I put them in an order that makes sense to me. Just so you know, my wife says I am full of nonsense so beware! You can see where I broke one of the switches trim piece trying to just pry up on the stack without pressing the tabs behind the dash panel. I will have to replace it later.

Name:	IMG_0103.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	555.8 KB
ID:	281358

Name:	IMG_0107.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	516.0 KB
ID:	281359

Name:	IMG_0106.jpg