Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2022, 02:55 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Dash trouble

Iím having problems with my gauges and lights on the dash. 2014 Newmar Ventana on a Freightliner chassis.
While driving at times all of the warning lights on the dash will come on and every gauge will drop to zero.
This may happen once every 200 miles or 10 times in 1 mile. No rhyme or reason to it.
Anyone else experience this?
It only lasts for a second or two then goes back to normal and may not happen again for a couple hundred more miles.
Twice now my air horn has gone off by itself also. I donít usually leave the toggle on for it but it probably got hit by mistake as itís next to the shade toggle.
The cruise control will shut itself off occasionally too so I donít really use that anymore.
Thanks for any input.
RudysDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2022, 04:09 PM   #2
Official iRV2 Sponsor

You need to check your battery terminals on the chassis batteries. Sounds like a loose ground possibly. If they are not loose, it needs to go to frightliner to check the PDM.
Power Distribution Module. It may have an internal issue and will need to be replaced.
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration

SM Nashville 972-697-6325
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 06:00 PM   #3

I had a similar issue on my spartan chassis. Did most of my research in the spartan chassis section. Might have some luck in the Freightliner section of this forum. I do know there is some sort of a brain box possibly called VDC?? It has electrical and air hose connections. It took me months here and there to track down my issue, it was the ecm plug located on the engine that had corroded. A chassis wiring diagram, volt meter, light tester, and patients will help you get started. Good luck, wiring issues are not fun.
Old 06-16-2022, 06:03 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Dowdle View Post
You need to check your battery terminals on the chassis batteries. Sounds like a loose ground possibly. If they are not loose, it needs to go to frightliner to check the PDM.
Power Distribution Module. It may have an internal issue and will need to be replaced.
I have checked the grounds. All seem to be secure. I took it to Freightliner a year ago. $1200.00 later and nothing is any different. I am taking it back to them. They mentioned a part,which I canít recall right now that possibly needs to be reprogrammed. They supposedly are back ordered but can be found on the internet for $10000.00! They say some trucks have been having the same issue. For what they charged me last year to wiggle some wires you think they wouldíve tested that part.
I should have written the name of the part down. Iíll find out tomorrow.
Itís a little unnerving to be traveling at 60mph and have your gauges go out. Doesnít make for an enjoyable trip. Only good thing is they reset almost immediately.
Old 06-16-2022, 06:08 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh H View Post
I had a similar issue on my spartan chassis. Did most of my research in the spartan chassis section. Might have some luck in the Freightliner section of this forum. I do know there is some sort of a brain box possibly called VDC?? It has electrical and air hose connections. It took me months here and there to track down my issue, it was the ecm plug located on the engine that had corroded. A chassis wiring diagram, volt meter, light tester, and patients will help you get started. Good luck, wiring issues are not fun.
Thank you. I will check that section. Iím pretty good at fixing most issues. Electrical isnít one of them. Not complicated electric anyway. VDC does sound familiar. Can that be reprogrammed?
Old 06-16-2022, 06:08 PM   #6

Freightliner , released up dated wiring for the instruments for the LBCU dash gauge package ( which I believe your 2014 has; VDC system of gauges ended in 2004 ) Contact Freightliner with your serial number and see if the up dated wiring is necessary for your coach .

1-800-385-4357

Posts in the Freightliner forums say the wiring replacement was an easy DIY.
Old 06-16-2022, 08:42 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Freightliner , released up dated wiring for the instruments for the LBCU dash gauge package ( which I believe your 2014 has; VDC system of gauges ended in 2004 ) Contact Freightliner with your serial number and see if the up dated wiring is necessary for your coach .

1-800-385-4357

Thanks Skip. I called them today. Sometimes theyíre helpful,other times not. Depends on who you get on the phone. The girl today told me to pull each gauge out individually and check to see if the wires were hooked up tight. I said ok and hung up. There is a guy there ,JR, who is pretty good at helping. Seems to know what heís talking about. Not sure if you can ask for someone by name there.
Old 06-16-2022, 09:07 PM   #8

Quote:

1-800-385-4357

Old 06-17-2022, 06:43 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudysDad View Post
Thanks Skip. I called them today. Sometimes theyíre helpful,other times not. Depends on who you get on the phone. The girl today told me to pull each gauge out individually and check to see if the wires were hooked up tight. I said ok and hung up. There is a guy there ,JR, who is pretty good at helping. Seems to know what heís talking about. Not sure if you can ask for someone by name there.
Yes you can ask for JR.There are a couple that go above and beyond then there are a couple who will not do anything for you. JR us trying to get parts to get my Comfort Drive back online
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 09:45 AM   #10

Info in this link maybe of some help if F/L not forthcoming .

I'm not aware of any current gauge package , other than the LBCU . But I could have missed something.

www.irv2.com/forums/f26/gauges-483576.html

If your on the phone with F/L confirm if LBCU is your gauge package .
Old 06-17-2022, 09:48 AM   #11

Quote:

1-800-385-4357

Skip, if this is in reference to the Lin jumper line issue, I had to do that fix on a 2007 Winnebago Journey that would have intermittent gauge issues either dead or flying all over. Was a very easy fix.

Like the OP, I initially took it to a Freightliner Oasis shop who did absolutely nothing for $900. I called Freightliner's center in Gaffney and had the answer to my issue in 10 seconds as well as the part numbers (new jumpers) which cost me under $100. They advised that there was a service bulletin out there the initial shop should have been aware of.

The OP has more issues going on than I had, so perhaps this is not the same thing. But for anyone with Freightliner chassis in that vintage era, if you look at the connecting jumper lines between gauges and the connectors are white, this might be the issue. The replacement/new version lines have black connectors.
2016 Chevy Silverado 4x4
NCC-1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 03:59 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-1701A View Post
Skip, if this is in reference to the Lin jumper line issue, I had to do that fix on a 2007 Winnebago Journey that would have intermittent gauge issues either dead or flying all over. Was a very easy fix.

Like the OP, I initially took it to a Freightliner Oasis shop who did absolutely nothing for $900. I called Freightliner's center in Gaffney and had the answer to my issue in 10 seconds as well as the part numbers (new jumpers) which cost me under $100. They advised that there was a service bulletin out there the initial shop should have been aware of.

The OP has more issues going on than I had, so perhaps this is not the same thing. But for anyone with Freightliner chassis in that vintage era, if you look at the connecting jumper lines between gauges and the connectors are white, this might be the issue. The replacement/new version lines have black connectors.
I went to a Freightliner shop today. They looked at me cross eyed when I asked them about the LBCU gauge package. Before I went I turned the battery disconnect off as someone else had a problem with their gauges going dead and Freightliner told them to do that to reboot. I had no issues going there. 35-40 miles. They said they could probably charge me again and still find nothing. Not a confidence builder so I left. No issues on the way home either so maybe that worked. Iíll know more in August as Iíll be going to Michigan. About 1400 miles round trip. If no problems Iíll know it was right. Iíll post good or bad on this thread when I return. Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Greatly appreciated. In the meantime Iíll continue to look for possible loose wiring. Safe travels.
Old 08-12-2022, 07:53 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
No change

I left for Michigan. 130 miles no problem. Then it began again. For the next 600 miles it continued. Back to looking for loose connections I guess. I have a retired civilian/military engineer who worked on tanks coming over to take a look. Hopefully weíll find something.
Old 08-13-2022, 08:16 PM   #14

Have you removed your dash cover to look at the Lin Lines connecting each gauge to the next? If so, what color are they?
2016 Chevy Silverado 4x4
NCC-1701A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash