Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2017, 10:29 AM   #1

Dash Voltage Gauge Intermittant

Hey folks,

We own a 2007 MADP 4121 purchased in 2012. Since we acquired it , I have noticed a couple times while driving every 100 miles or so , the voltage gauge will slowly drop to nearly zero , red low voltage indicator will illuminate as it drops , and then after a couple seconds it will slowly return to normal 13 VDC or so . All other gauges will stay normal , no dimming of lights or other indications of a low 12 volt condition. I have checked numerous connections , grounds and such near the dash cluster and under the front hood. I might add I spent 35 + years as an electronics technician for a large semiconductor manufacturing company. I am somewhat comfortable working these types of problems. This one however has got me stumped. I figure someone out there has seen this before and might have some insight.

thanks, Randy
rdurdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2017, 10:46 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Buy another voltage gauge(can just be a digital voltage gauge off amazon), and tap into the line right there at that existing gauge. That will allow you to determine whether the voltage line is actually dropping, or the existing voltage gauge itself is bad.

Gauge bad, find a dash gauge to replace it.

Line voltage dropping, follow the wiring back to the source to determine where the problem is.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 05:26 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
The voltage value comes from the ECM. Check the power and ground connections at the ECM. Does any of the other gauges show irregular values when it happens? You can check the ECM voltage with VMSpc | SilverLeaf Electronics, Inc.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:13 PM   #4

It is just the voltage gauge that drops for a couple seconds , little red low voltage light illuminates as well. Every thing else looks normal. The coach moves down the road like nothing happened when this occurs. I do have an analog data logger I can connect to the gauge/system and log voltage data on next trip. I'll admit, I am a little lazy on this one and was hoping someone else has experienced this on their Spartan chassis and found a solution. When I see stuff like this happening , I have visions of being on the side of the road with a blown alternator or something.
rdurdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:01 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
As you put the voltage sensing wire on to set up another gauge to compare to, clean and check the tightness of the wiring on that gauge.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash