RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
dc electrical issue 99 madp4080

Dealer put 6 new batteries in the coach (2 starter and 4x6 v house). Showed us the battery disconnect (intelletect remote switch located at front of coach where the invertor panel etc is) but failed to show us the physical switch back with the heart 2kw interter/3 stage charger. Result: total dead batteries after 10 days. Just started the generator (7kw powertech) to charge the batteries and start the main engine. This happened twice until I found the darn switch when checking the inverter for a tripped breaker today. Today (maiden trip for the long weekend) got to the unit and all batteries dead again, jumped the genny again but this time no charge going to the batteries. I coukd hear the fan on in the invertor and had ac power in the coach, but no lights and the battery voltage woukdnt even come up on the intelletect. After multiple calls to the dealer troubleshooting, nothing! Tto top it off I went to shut off the genny and the remote switch on the dash wouldn't kill it. I had to go back to the invertor and turn the battery disconnect off to kill it.

Anyone ever have this issue? Possible relay toasted somewhere in the circuit? I couldn't tow it to the dealer as thw air pressure is to low to release the brakes and the tow truck coukdnt get to thw storage lot before the gates closed for the night. Needless to say, not a fun first trip and a bummer for the long weekend.

koresample is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2013, 11:00 PM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
So, a little digging on the site and a link to Intellitect now tell me that because I can't see any voltage on the battery disconnect panel (Intellitech), essentially the panel is dead. Looks like either the solenoids are toast or the fuses for the solenoids are popped.

Does anyone know where these are located in the coach?

Please and THANK-YOU!!

Old 05-19-2013, 07:26 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have been looking thru many PDF's in the COM_NET2 link which has allot of information for coach's newer than your 99 but I found this info that may help you.
There are Tech information links and general information.
Until someone with a 99 DP shows up this is all I have right now.
There are links from COM_NET in QT's #3 on 12v battery wiring & fusing that may help also.
In some older coach's I have seen fuse groups in behind the battery tray and compartment under drivers seat outside or open panels on top of dash.
Maybe this thread will help as to what maybe going on.

Just a after thought you do not have any hot battery cables do you all batteries are hooked up correctly.
Hope its not going to turn into this . Or maybe this.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:24 PM   #4

Triple E Owners Club
thanks 007, i checked out everything I could from the Intelletec details and still can't locate the problem. There's also a lot of noise coming form the generator electronics area now when I turn the master battery switch on. Dealer is sending a tech to look tomorrow so we'll go from there
Old 05-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your Gen FUEL pump may be running making noise, there may have been some small battery leads place on wrong battery stud on battery.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #6

Triple E Owners Club
everything ran fine until it didn't. Dealer couldn't make it today but I spoke to the main tech and described the problem in detail. He figures a fuse or relay/solenoid somewhere that i couldn't get at is cooked. Should know tomorrow...hopefully! Haven't even camped in it yet
Old 05-24-2013, 10:10 PM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
Thumbs down

So today the newmar dealer service manager and tech finally got to the coach. Turned on the master switch, hooked up a pair of jumper cables and it fired right up. Everything turned on and read correctly. Now I need to go back tomorrow and hopefully have the same luck and drive it to the dealership as there is obviously an intermittent problem with a solenoid or relay. I noticed two of what look like heavy duty relays attached to the frame right outside the battery compartment (when you lift the bed and look underneath it). The wires run from these into the inverter compartment and they look pretty corroded. When I look at the diesel it also has a lot of corrosion on components and the block (45000 miles). I am starting to think this coach was ridden hard and put away wet too many times. Before buying we did a lot of reseach into newmar quality but I am not seeing it in this coach. Wiring looks factory but messy and all these little problems are adding up. I used to build uniits fir Okanagan Manufacturing a long time ago (electrician) and would have to say we did better work back then (early 90's). Pretty disappointed in the quality.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:07 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If the coach was exposed to road salts during winter months its going to make a mess of wiring connections if not protected by previous owner.
I always lubed compartment locks,battery wiring protected and under carriage of coach was pretty clean under the coach.
Well one trip to Nappanee in Jan 2010 than to FL. and back to Newmar than home changed all that.
Wash coach underneath but just was not good enough locks froze, trouble with wipers, starter and now rust on undercarriage.
Has since been cleaned up but winter travel will do a job on your coach.
Do they use allot of road salts in west Canada, when we traveled to Quebec was some sand on roads years back.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:00 AM   #9

Triple E Owners Club
Where we live (vancouver) they dont, but other parts of the provinve they do. I dont know the owner history though. How were yiu able to clean up the surface corrosion?
Old 05-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Clean up, lots of PB Blaster, emery cloth, battery protectorate, electrical contact spray and elbow grease.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #11

Oddly enough one of the first things I noticed when looking at our DSDP was how neat and tidy the wiring was. That was one of the big considerations in my buying the Dutch Star
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Most of the new coach wiring harnesses have print on wires to tell you where it goes to and comes from.

12v BATTERY SYSTEM

12V 2006 & 2007 WIRING
Old 05-25-2013, 08:21 PM   #13

Triple E Owners Club
So, went to the dealership and they wanted another $55k to go up one year with same mileage and basically same condition. Went to the coach, turn the battery switch on, no sizzling sounds and it fired right up. Took it to the dealer and left it there for the service manager to look at on Monday. I noticed two of what look to be large relays between the batteries and the invertor attached to the frame right underneath the bed. They are both very corroded and so in the handle on the battery disconnect switch in the invertor compartment. Does anyone know what those things are that I just described, the relay looking units?
Old 05-25-2013, 10:42 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Could be the transfer switch relays.

Tags
electrical