Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2021, 08:42 PM   #1

Dead dead dead batteries...help!

2018 King Aire 4534

The back story....We sold our 43' fifth wheel that we kept in a secure rv storage facility under cover. We need to store it for a few months and the only space they had available was the one we are in.

No power, and no sun for the solar panels, we have been home 1 week and have been trying to run the coach to keep the batteries charged. went to the coach today and everything was dead, dead, dead. And the compartments are locked so I can't get to the chassis batteries.

Does the front cap where the generator sits manually crank out so that I could jump start the generator?

Any ideas?

Thanks a ton!
Cheers!
Konrad
RebelSouls is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2021, 10:12 PM   #2

There should be a key for the latches so you can manually unlock them. I can understand how your house batteries were depleted. That happened to me when I forgot to set the max draw to 20 amp and the breaker tripped. However your chassis batteries should have survived a few weeks. Check the switches in the cockpit to make sure something wasn't left on.

Go to Harbor Freight and buy a 40 amp charger. It will charge you house and chassis batteries pretty quickly.

More importantly, find storage with power. These all electric coaches don't like to be stored without power.

Worst case, get a monthly rate at a local campground with 50 amp until you can find enclosed storage with power.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 04:21 AM   #3

I would think that you could jump the generator like a car. If the batteries are real low, it may take a few minutes for that to happen.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 06:34 AM   #4
YC1

I would assume you used a voltmeter on the batteries????

Did you push the aux start button with the ignition key in the run position (but don't crank it), and try to start the generator??

If both banks are dead it is indeed a bit of a challenge. Do you have one of those jump starter devices?

Can a tow service get close? They often have very long cables and do carry a jump starter pack.

If you have a towing service call them for help.

Once you get the generator running be sure the charging system is set for maximum output. It will take several hours to get things back up.

When you leave the rv there should be some large switches in the battery compartment to shut things off. You cannot rely on some switch by the door. Those leave far too many things on. The batteries have to be isolated/cut off completely.

Just a few short days and you won't be starting the engine without using the aux start button if you don't cut things off properly.

What condition are your batteries and cables in?

Lots of questions here but we have no idea if this is a new to you rv experience and even then many folks have a lack of deep understanding of the 12 volt systems in their complex units.

Hope this helps a bit.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:11 AM   #5

If you start the generator it will power the inverter/charger but the charger section will NOT charge dead batteries.

You will need to leave the jumper pack on until the volts get up to 8 to 12 volts before the inverter/charger comes online.

If the jumper can start the main engine, then the alternator will charge the chassis battery to 13.3 volts and then combine the house battery with it, charging them.

Once that happens, you should be able to start the generator and let the inverter/charger take over.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:35 AM   #6

Put in new batteries. What you have are worn out. They should only loose 5% a month. Set up generator to auto charge when gone and you should have zero issues. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Old 04-02-2021, 10:20 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
OP said

"And the compartments are locked so I can't get to the chassis batteries."

"Does the front cap where the generator sits manually crank out so that I could jump start the generator?"

Must have keyless entry...Anybody know how to run the generator out?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 01:34 PM   #8

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
OP said

"And the compartments are locked so I can't get to the chassis batteries."

"Does the front cap where the generator sits manually crank out so that I could jump start the generator?"

Must have keyless entry...Anybody know how to run the generator out?
Unfortunately, the generator slide is hydraulic and requires the ignition to be in aux. I have never tried to manually open it so I don't know if it's possible. I believe 2018 was the first year for the push button door latches. I suggest trying to use the boost between the battery banks to get enough power to use the bay door unlock button so you can get to the batteries. You may not know but there is suppose to be a key for opening the push button bay door underneath the bottom of the door. Hope this helps.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 02:53 PM   #9

Found where the key goes to the latches!! Brilliant! and that worked! I'm in!
Thanks Tons!!
Old 04-03-2021, 07:45 AM   #10

Glad you're in.. Check your chassis batteries. They shouldn't have run down that quickly.

The ones on my LADP were shot after only 2 years and wouldn't hold a charge.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:19 AM   #11
YC1

Most RV batteries do not live a normal live and are killed by the owners. Poor maintenance and understanding of the systems is a huge cause. It takes constant vigilance to make sure your heartbeats are working correctly.

We do not buy batteries, we just rent them. If you hammered any of the batteries below 8-10 volts for a time you may have crippled them and do not even know it. There is little way without extensive testing and even then they can crater in a day or sometimes in minutes.

I was stunned as I watched my voltmeter go from 12.7 to 8.5 volts on a BMW after turning on the headlights without starting the engine. Would not start at that voltage. Charging the battery did not change the symptoms. You could literally set your watch at 20 minutes and watch the voltage roll off very quickly at that point. Remove any slight drain at all, even a 1 amp drain and the battery would hold fine.

I'm sharing this because your problems are not over just because you get them up and running.

Sorry for the bad news.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 01:24 PM   #12

So, now that I'm in I also was able to secure an outside storage space so I can use the solar panels that are mounted to the roof. My basic logic is this should help.

I went down to the coach today and the house batteries were dead. I couldn't even start the generator with the battery boost. Once I started the engine, I was then able to use the battery boost and start the generator. And now I'm back to full power, but not full house battery charge.

The Silverleaf has something called a Load Shed. If I lower the numbers on this will it help the batteries last overnight?

Can anyone shed some light on this function?

Thank again in advance....
Cheers!
Old 04-03-2021, 02:01 PM   #13

battery

i would sugest removing the battery and have it recharged running the gen set a couple hours is not going to fully charge them lee
hometool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 02:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometool View Post
i would sugest removing the battery and have it recharged running the gen set a couple hours is not going to fully charge them lee
Remove THE battery, that rig has 4 to 6 house batteries. Not an easy task.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries