Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2021, 06:08 PM   #1

Dead house batteries

Both my chassis and house batteries were dead. I replaced the chassis and started the coach. I was also able to start the generator.

What can I do to obtain house power? On my way to FL and need lights, heat, etc. I have tried to jump my house batteries to see if I can get my electric info center on? Steps are out as well and I would like to get them in.

Is there anything I can try before purchasing 8 new batteries? Need to get the inverter on.

2019 Mountainair
dpotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2021, 06:12 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Will your boost switch do the job?

If not you could just buy a Walmart battery to get you by.

If all your batteries are in the same bay you could even use one of your chassis batteries in a pinch

If just two of your 8 house batteries are good that would work also
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 06:35 PM   #3

If your house batteries are not charging while driving, the isolation /charging /boost solenoid isn't working.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 06:39 PM   #4

Some inverters will not charge the batteries if they have discharged too much. Use a car charger to put some life back in your batteries. I like the 15amp Everstart Charger that walmart sells. It may take 10-14 hours. If your batteries are still good, then your inverter/charger should be able to maintain the charge.
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 06:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
Some inverters will not charge the batteries if they have discharged too much. Use a car charger to put some life back in your batteries. I like the 15amp Everstart Charger that walmart sells. It may take 10-14 hours. If your batteries are still good, then your inverter/charger should be able to maintain the charge.
Thanks. I did this one time however, the factory rep had me disconnect a plug behind my electric reel. I can’t seem to remember which one. I did place a charger on all night last night. My panel will not light up yet.

Thanks!
dpotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 08:16 AM   #6

Unfortunately I’ve had this happen a few times in my ‘18 MA. My understanding is there’s a solonoid that will shut off power between the batteries and house once the battery charge drops below a certain level. Don’t remember what that point is. They have to be charged above this point before the solenoid will open. I’ve used a large HD charger (1’x1’x2’ don’t remember the amp rating) and can take up to 10 hrs from completely flat. My suggestion is keep charging them. Once they’re charged sufficiently the solenoid opens, the house power will operate normally and the batteries can be charged thoroughly through the inverter with shore power or genny.
SUNYDAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 12:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpotts View Post
Both my chassis and house batteries were dead. I replaced the chassis and started the coach. I was also able to start the generator.

What can I do to obtain house power? On my way to FL and need lights, heat, etc. I have tried to jump my house batteries to see if I can get my electric info center on? Steps are out as well and I would like to get them in.

Is there anything I can try before purchasing 8 new batteries? Need to get the inverter on.

2019 Mountainair
You might want to double check the 12v circuit breakers. I had a similar issue on our rig awhile back, it drove me flippin nuts... Engine running, nothing, Jenny running, nothing, no charge... Everything on the 12v side of the panel worked great as long as we were plugged in to shore power, or the jenny was running, but pull shore power or shut down the jenny? and nothing functioned on 12v.. So after pondering the problem a few days, suddenly it slapped me up side the head...... Gee, I had forgot to check the CB's in the EE bay. Bingo, one had popped, so I reset it, and suddenly I had 14v on the interior monitor panel. I did a systems check by pulling shore power, and YES I still had 12v's to the coach... YEA, problem solved...
So even though you might have done what most people do, and checked the fuses... DON'T forget those pesky inline 12v circuit breakers...
Hope you get things figured out..

Tags
batteries, house batteries