Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2011, 01:42 PM   #1

Dead Outlets on Northern Star

I have an '04 Northern Star DP that we have had only a few months. The outlet for the washer / dryer and the outlet for the refrigerator are both dead (no power). I have checked the circuit breakers (two sets in MBR) and the fuses (also in MBR). All seem fine. Even checked the wire connections in the circuit breaker box, but all seems fine.

Is there some other set of fuses or breakers that might be the culprit??

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
fishinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2011, 01:44 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
First thing to check/reset is the GFIC outlet in the bathroom; next check for any other GFIC outlets anywhere, hall; patio, outside bin.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:26 PM   #3

I have been through all GFCI outlets. They all seem to be labeled, but only two have reset switches on them. I have reset them without any change. The two outlets that I'm having trouble with are not labeled GFCI.

Any other thoughts?
Old 06-15-2011, 02:42 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
I would flip main breaker @ battery box and shut the whole sucker down for 2 minutes.... then flip back, check, then 1 by one flip all breakers.... it may be one of your breakers is wasted. The odds of more than one outlet going out @ same time astronaumical!
fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:50 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Are you plugged into "50" Amps ? One side may be dead,you need a meter to check your incoming line's. Check the pedestal,breakers.
Siggy D.
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:38 AM   #6

Sorry I have taken so long to respond to your suggestions. June & I had to hit the road for a few days. Now we're settled again, but with a lot of gandkid demands, so fixing time is limited.

Based on Siggyd's suggestion, I tried an experiment and ran the coach from the generator rather than the 50 Amp shore power. Lo and behold the dead outlets worked just fine. I know the power coming in from the pedestal is good... three different campgrounds can't all have the same problem. Therefore somewhere in my coach one leg of the 50 amp service is shut off. What I can't figure out is where. Any more thoughts?
Old 06-17-2011, 09:50 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
I would now open up the Auto Transfer Switch box where the power cord comes in and take a look,or measure.One side of the contactor may be bad or???....just a lose wire. But beware of the HOT Juice or do not plug in.
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:51 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, works on Generator, NOT on Shore power.. Suspect list in reverse line order:

Main breaker in breaaker panel, ONE half can trip, and/or just flat fail I read you checked the screws.. (That's good, you beat me to a joke about loose screws)

Next is the automatic transfer switch.

Next is the power inlet, and by the same token the outlet on the cord (Assuming you have a Marineco inlet that is) I had a Marineco outlet cord end come off in my hand a while ago, Brand new first time out trailer. Good thing both he and I know a bit about electrical work (He's a licensed electrican, I'm certified in Electronics)

Next is the other end of the cord, (Plug) and then the park outlet and breakers.

OR if you were plugged in at home using an adapter.. The adapter. outlet. (The plug end of the adapter is NOT suspect)
Old 06-23-2011, 12:04 PM   #9

Well I finished all my grandkid chores for the week and finally had some time today to try some of your suggestions. As both Siggyd and Wa8yxm suggested, the problem was in the Automatic Transfer Switch. I could measure 115 volts in on both the black and red wires of the shore power cord, but when I measured the voltage out from the transfer switch panel, I only had power on the red line. I then tried looking at the switching contacts, but couldn't see much. So I tried to slip a screwdriver blade between the contacts and the one in question just fell out! This contact was in horrible shape on one side, badly pitted and burned. So now I know what the problem is and can proceed to fix it. Looks like a new transfer switch is in my future.

Thank you all for your help
Old 06-23-2011, 12:20 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Bill,
Thanks for getting back to us and letting us know the solution.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote