Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2007, 02:40 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
I cut and pasted this from Bill Zucker on the Yahoo forum. I hope this is an acceptable practice.

Thought you all would find it interesting. Remember when you read this that it is from the dealer's perspective.

Surprising to me is how far down Newmar is in qualified field staff. Almost makes you think they want customers at the factory.

Posted by: "Bill Zucker" billzucker@sbcglobal.net bill_zucker_1952
Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:53 pm (PST)
Statistics, anyone?

I'm collecting information for a book on Class A motorhomes, and was given a copy of the 2005 Recreational Vehicles Dealer Association (RVDA) Dealer Satisfaction Index (DSI), assembled from over 1800 replies by over 500 dealers.

Out of the 24 categories, I've selected the ones that would mean the most to an owner, not because they show anyone in a good or bad light. Scores are for three representative brands: Fleetwood (F), Newmar (N), and Tiffin (T). Alfa didn't participate in the survey at all, by the way.

DNQ means did not qualify in the top two-thirds of the 34 brands. Percentages rounded off to the nearest whole number.

Competitive Product Design: F=DNQ, N=82, T=96, Avg=77
Competitive Product Quality: F=DNQ, N=89, T=94, Avg=75
High Quality Field Staff: F=DNQ, N=76, T=95, Avg=68
Product Support Promotes Customer Satisfaction/Loyalty: F=69, N=83, T=97, Avg=68
Quality Service Technician Training: F=68, N=82, T=83, Avg=55
Reasonable/Timely Warranty Policies/Payments: F=72, N=85, T=97, Avg=68
Retail Labor Rate on Warranty Repairs: F=80, N=91, T=95, Avg=79

Make what you will of the numbers. Newmar made it into the Quality Circle Awards. Tiffin took first place in 17 of 24 categories, and has won the top place seven out of ten years.

As for me, we currently own a Fleetwood. But there's always tomorrow.

Bill & Debbie in San Diego

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2007, 02:40 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I cut and pasted this from Bill Zucker on the Yahoo forum. I hope this is an acceptable practice.

Thought you all would find it interesting. Remember when you read this that it is from the dealer's perspective.

Surprising to me is how far down Newmar is in qualified field staff. Almost makes you think they want customers at the factory.

Posted by: "Bill Zucker" billzucker@sbcglobal.net bill_zucker_1952
Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:53 pm (PST)
Statistics, anyone?

I'm collecting information for a book on Class A motorhomes, and was given a copy of the 2005 Recreational Vehicles Dealer Association (RVDA) Dealer Satisfaction Index (DSI), assembled from over 1800 replies by over 500 dealers.

Out of the 24 categories, I've selected the ones that would mean the most to an owner, not because they show anyone in a good or bad light. Scores are for three representative brands: Fleetwood (F), Newmar (N), and Tiffin (T). Alfa didn't participate in the survey at all, by the way.

DNQ means did not qualify in the top two-thirds of the 34 brands. Percentages rounded off to the nearest whole number.

Competitive Product Design: F=DNQ, N=82, T=96, Avg=77
Competitive Product Quality: F=DNQ, N=89, T=94, Avg=75
High Quality Field Staff: F=DNQ, N=76, T=95, Avg=68
Product Support Promotes Customer Satisfaction/Loyalty: F=69, N=83, T=97, Avg=68
Quality Service Technician Training: F=68, N=82, T=83, Avg=55
Reasonable/Timely Warranty Policies/Payments: F=72, N=85, T=97, Avg=68
Retail Labor Rate on Warranty Repairs: F=80, N=91, T=95, Avg=79

Make what you will of the numbers. Newmar made it into the Quality Circle Awards. Tiffin took first place in 17 of 24 categories, and has won the top place seven out of ten years.

As for me, we currently own a Fleetwood. But there's always tomorrow.

Bill & Debbie in San Diego

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Old 01-19-2007, 02:57 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

I'm going to research this document and try and come up with a link to it.

Also, remember this document is dated the 2005 and this is now 2007...

In my situation I can attest to always having received TREMENDOUS service from the two dealers I've had contact with.
I purchased the Essex at Howard in Wilmington and have recently had major service performed in Fort Myers at North Trail, where I DIDN'T purchase...

Thanks for the report, but I'm going to see if I can come up with something a little closer to "present day" stats....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 03:31 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Just to make sure it is clear about what this survey is about:

It is Dealer Satisfactioin with Newmar. It is not a survey of customers. It was done by the RV Dealers association.

I only posted it as a point of interest. Newmar comes out way above average on every dimension which is a good thing.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:59 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think they should have asked about "quality of coach contruction" and after market problems with coach after a year or two in service. I would say Newmar would be #1.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 02:15 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just to follow up on construction point for any Newbie's out there I was invited to a new owner of a AL made by TIF that was having problems with leveling his coach. He had HWH and was using a carpenters level to level his coach. I said why, only way he could tell it was level. What about your little yellow lite.???? What yellow lite. Said I would check in morning its to dark now.
He purchased the coach in less than a year. Showed me his LCD mounted over a electric fire place, nice feature I said.
ASKed what do you think of the rest of the coach, shouldn't have asked.

I had noticed his wall cabinets over dash area were sagging from ceiling and face board was split from wall cabinet, WIFE asked me to sit at their table, I did and my knees were almost hitting the bottom of table and my elbows were going up to reach table top very differcult to eat I said, but why is this, I checked the chairs and they looked like they were cut to short and the table is mounted to low but a nice view out the large window.

I asked if he had any trouble with his now famous 4 door refer said its working fine but last summer had difficulty keeping food cold in box but freezer was always fine.

As I was about to leave I asked if he had the header on his main slide checked, was kitchen slide with couch, because the header is sagged about 1 1/2", the header isn't big enough to support all the loaded cabinet weight.

As I was leaving I said I would be over in AM to check out his jacks for that yellow lite.
I'm afraid he was a no show he left before I was up. I had told him evening before what he should tell his Dealer who he has had difficulty with to get his items fixed.

I found out later he was so mad that he went to a different Dealer and purchased a newer coach of same model.
All I can say he new what to check and look for on his PDI with this new Dealer.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote