RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2015, 07:11 PM   #1

Decent buy?

I'm headed down to look at this coach tomorrow - thought I'd run the ad by you all to see what you think of the price. He's a bit negotiable but not a lot he says. It will be my first coach - fingers crossed!

http://www.rvt.com/Newmar-Dutch-Star...l+Lead+Ad+Link

GN2ZDGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2015, 07:43 PM   #2

Every time I click on your link it takes me to a different RV. None of which are a DS.

Campin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:12 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
From the pictures it looks like it's been well taken care of. I like that fact that it was at least parked under a partial garage.
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:15 PM   #4

The link worked fine for me and showed a good looking 2004 Dutch Star. He is asking Average Retail according to NADA. The new tires and batteries are helpful.

If it is as well maintained as claimed, he should have yearly records for chassis maintenance; oil changes, air filter, fuel filter, etc. He should also have maintenance records for the generator.

If those records look respectable and an independent RV inspection is OK, then this coach should rate at least a decent buy.

I don't like the ad's emphasis on TVs and stuff. But I do like that this is For Sale by Owner.

Keep in mind that I know almost nothing about Rvs... except that I purchased one 4 months ago and shopped for one 6 months before that.

Good luck and hope you find a way to join the Newmar family.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:05 PM   #5
srh

Monaco Owners Club
It looks good in the pics. What I would be interested to know is whether it has been used for full-time living. IMHO, that really takes a lot out of the coach! Also, as has been said, review the maintenance records. Report back, if you can, let us know how it went.

All the best and safe travels!
Old 09-24-2015, 09:49 PM   #6

Thanks all

He is the 2nd owner of the coach, has had for three years and selling to upgrade

He is a mechanic so has done most all maintenance like oil changes etc himself so not sure if there will be records for that. Should there be even so? Hopefull he has some and former owners

Im calling Newmar in the morning with the VIN for any info they can provide as well

He stressed the Electronic upgrades also when I talked to him on phone. I just glazed over them and asked about the new batteries

So Id like to know the protocol for deposits and or timelines. Since the weekend is coming up and he may have others lines up to see it, if it looks great do I leave a small deposit to hold coach till I can get private inspection done? Whats the right amount for a deposit and shouldnt it be refundable if something major happens at inspection? Do we talk price after inspection or before. Since I dont know what inspection will turn up (should I let him fix since hes a mechanic?!)

Thanks for the advice! I hate the possibility of being taken advantage of as a woman buying 😬
Old 09-24-2015, 09:50 PM   #7

Ill also check on all of the things you all suggested 😉
Old 09-24-2015, 10:00 PM   #8

Oh. Forgot to mention. He has a loan on it still. Doesnt have title. How would this work? Im paying cash. 😁
Old 09-24-2015, 10:15 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Paying cash is fine. Meet at the bank that holds the loan. They take their money, he gets what's left and you should be able to get the title, although some banks don't have the title on premises and it could take a couple weeks to get to you.

BTW, we traded our 2002 Dutch Star 4090 in in Feb. Playing the numbers they gave us $80,000 for ours or $60,000 depending on how you figure it!

I do my own work too, but still kept the receipts for oil, filters, belts, etc. He should have those at least.

Developer just came in a cut down a whole grove of trees that shaded our house and MH, and no room to build a shelter like in the pictures!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:20 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good luck on your new coach to be.

Someone said that full timers are harder on a coach. I do not agree with that statement.

First off full timers have to have everything working. That being said if the full timer is a "jack leg mechanic" he is going to cobble stuff together that may be true but that same "jack leg" will do the same repair if he only uses the coach for five days a year. Slobs are slobs.

The advantage to full timers are all items on the coach get used way more often than on part timers. Some think that will wear them out but what really is hard on the gear is lack of use. Batteries for example need to be maintained, water pumps need to run to keep seals in good order and so on.
2018 DS DP 4369 #607121 Cummins ISL9 450 HP
"We are from, where ever we were yesterday"
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:06 AM   #11

This coach has not been full timed in 😉
Old 09-25-2015, 09:18 AM   #12

If the coach has a loan, then the current owner should have a title that shows a lien. It is helpful to know he is actually the owner.

You should have an agreement on price before the inspection.

2nd owner is good. You can verify this with car fax. You can also contact Spartan for information. At a minimum, they will give you the maintenance schedule.

The inspection should focus on the major systems; Chassis, engine, radiator, generator. Also look for structural issues with the fiberglass; delamination and interior water leaks.

Look at the paint and evaluate the "Paint Checking" situation. Its not a deal killer, but will save you possible "Buyers remorse" down the road.

As for the deposit, they are not much help as they are not binding. The owner could take your deposit and still sell the coach to someone else and return your deposit. A "Gentleman's agreement" is probably your best bet.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:33 AM   #13

Id like to know the protocol for deposits and or timelines. Since the weekend is coming up and he may have others lines up to see it, if it looks great do I leave a small deposit to hold coach till I can get private inspection done? Whats the right amount for a deposit and shouldnt it be refundable if something major happens at inspection? Do we talk price after inspection or before. Since I dont know what inspection will turn up (should I let him fix since hes a mechanic?!)
Old 09-25-2015, 01:25 PM   #14

As far as a deposit, you should come to a meeting of the minds as to how much he wants and how much you can pay. I'd think $500 to hold it should be fine.
I have an 05 Dutch Star and in my opinion, the coach you're looking at is well worth the asking price if it checks out. I'd want to know if anything has been done to the fridge and/or A/C's and take a good look at all the flooring. And, of course, a good sniff test tells a lot.