Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2015, 12:14 PM   #1

Decided on Newmar, has anyone seen VDP 3427?

Been researching DP motor homes in the 35 foot range, went to Hershey, drove both the Newmar and Thor Palazzo. Liked the overall look and feel of the Newmar, seemed to have a little more attention to detail. Now when looking at models, we want to travel to National and State parks and want to keep the length to around 35 feet. We also are not fans of the corner shower, so it looks like the new 2016 3427 will fit our needs to full time for a few years in about 18 months when I retire fully. Has anyone seen or ordered the 3427 and what are your thoughts on that model. Thanks for the help, much more research to do but these forums are a great resource.
jmkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2015, 07:42 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Have you seen the 2016 Ventana Brochure? If not, here's a link:
Ventana RV brochure | Newmar

We've owned 4 Newmars over the last 13 years. If the floorplan works for you then I hope your Newmar experience will be as satisfying as mine!
Old 09-23-2015, 07:24 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and irv2.
Here is a link for info about any Newmar you maybe interested in, has PDI, COM_NET access to Owners Guides and people to talk to at Newmar for a coach you may want built for you as you want it.
Good luck and maybe a welcome to the Newmar family is in your future.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:37 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Having owned 2 Dutch Stars over the last 15 years I can say you've made a good choice! Wish we had bought another one rather than the Magna.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:13 PM   #5

The 3427 has four slides like our 2011 3433 Ventana. The floor plan is a bit different but I think the length and slide placement is the same. We prefer camping anywhere but "RV Resorts". State & National Parks, Forest Service, Corp of Engineer, BLM campgrounds are where you'll find us if we have a choice. There were a couple of places we stayed on our trip this summer where we would not have been able to find a site had we been longer but we were winging it and had no reservations.

Good luck with your decision!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Having owned 2 Dutch Stars over the last 15 years I can say you've made a good choice! Wish we had bought another one rather than the Magna.
If I had a nickel for every time you said that I would have a new King Air. LOL I always thought Country Coach was one of the best coaches on the road sure glad I didn't buy one now.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:50 AM   #7

Thanks

The info on this site is amazing and I have been digging through all of it as time permits. We are planning to attend the Tampa show to further check things out, but had a few other questions....

1. thoughts on the all electric option with induction stove and hydroponic heat, seems to eliminate the propane need. We had an induction stove in one of our houses and thought it worked fine, so this options seems to reduce need to carry around propane, all we need is diesel and electricity?

2. tow hitch rating? I can seem to find it anywhere on the Newmar web site or in the catalog?

3. Are the power take up reels worth the cost?

Jon
Prospective owner
jmkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 02:21 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkling View Post
Oh, I can answer this one! Heck yes it's worth it. Us folks running the gas coaches don't have access to all the options you fancy diesel people have. If it would have been available, I would sure be wishing I got it. Especially for the power. I'd definitely pay the $800 to avoid manhandling 30 feet of thick heavy 50A cable in the rain and muck. I might even look into adding an aftermarket reel in the future.

The water hose I've pretty much got the hang of no problem now, but it would still be cool to just pull it out and retract it.
Vacay Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 02:28 PM   #9

We don't have the induction cook top but are all electric and we love it! The Oasis heating is awesome. We do not miss having to fill the propane tank at all.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 02:47 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hitch rating 10,000 lbs.

Cord reels to me are an unnecessary source of resistance,potential slip ring failure and problems down the road.

You are putting 2 50 amp loads on skinny brushes/slip rings to transfer the electricity.

Ever see a trolley pole riding along the catenary in the city?
Lots of sparks!

Bob
the trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:20 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
3427 coaches now starting to appear

Yes, they are now starting to show up in dealers inventory.
A nice alternative floorplan to the 3436. I think the 3427 may have a more open functional bathroom, accessible from the front or back of the coach, with privacy slider doors. Shower may be a bit narrow at 26", for my 6'4" frame.
I have driven the new 4037 LE with the 360 hp ISB, which seemed adequate. For this smaller 3427, the engine should prove adequate... probable better matched, than trying to push the larger 4037LE coach.
I like the kitchen layout on the 3427, better than the 3436.
I feel the 3427 will prove to be a great coach. In fact, I am reconsidering it as an option to the larger 4037.
Good luck.
wrbsab12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 03:18 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkling View Post
The info on this site is amazing and I have been digging through all of it as time permits. We are planning to attend the Tampa show to further check things out, but had a few other questions....

1. thoughts on the all electric option with induction stove and hydroponic heat, seems to eliminate the propane need. We had an induction stove in one of our houses and thought it worked fine, so this options seems to reduce need to carry around propane, all we need is diesel and electricity?

2. tow hitch rating? I can seem to find it anywhere on the Newmar web site or in the catalog?

Jon

Prospective owner
Jon
We recently purchased a 2015 DS 4369.
Have taken a few trips
1.Both the induction cooktop and the heater worked great.
My previous coach had Propane.
IMO all electric is the way to go
2. Can't speak to tow hitch rating
3. Love the power reels
Dave H
Old 12-31-2015, 04:18 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That is not always the case

Cablemaster - Glendinning Products, LLC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the trainguy View Post
Hitch rating 10,000 lbs.

Cord reels to me are an unnecessary source of resistance,potential slip ring failure and problems down the road.

You are putting 2 50 amp loads on skinny brushes/slip rings to transfer the electricity.

Ever see a trolley pole riding along the catenary in the city?
Lots of sparks!

Bob
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 05:06 PM   #14

If you did around on Newmar's facebook site and look at their albums, they show some pics of a Ventana 3427. Not as well staged as some dealer photos, but it gives you a view of the inside. If I was looking for a new 35' DP, it'd be my choice.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar