Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2007, 08:33 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Any thoughts out there as to which is the best 6V deep cycle battery to buy?
Price [within reason] not really the object - looking more for quality.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2007, 08:33 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Any thoughts out there as to which is the best 6V deep cycle battery to buy?
Price [within reason] not really the object - looking more for quality.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:25 AM   #3

Though I've never had any, but from reading many posts on this and other similar sites, I would say Trojan. That is if you are talking about wet cells.
The Interstate 2200 (220 amps) have treated me well for a wet cell, and have stood up well. In my last coach they were like new performance when I replaced them after 3 years. My reason for changing them was purely a 3 year life that I put on them. The brand new delivered identical power cycles.

Peter
Old 12-20-2007, 04:20 AM   #4

Last winter I replaced my 4 coach batteries (9 year old Thermoil batteries) with 4 T105 Trojans. No problemo. I seem to remember paying around $110 each (in California).

This winter I'm working at a local RV dealership here in Florida. They stock Interstate batteries.

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:27 AM   #5

Best is relative. There are "commercial" batteries and "retail" batteries. Commercial batteries like Trojan (wet) and LifeLine (AGM) (and other brands available at battery specific stores) will typically last 5++ years and maintain power cycles. Retail batteries (like you get at Sears, WalMart, Advance Auto, etc.) will typically last 3- years.

Here's where "best" is difficult. Over the course of say 6 years, you'll likely buy just the one set of commercial batteries. Over that same 6 years you'll likely buy 2 sets of retail. Now the kicker. The TOTAL cost for the 6 years may be very similar because the retail batteries are far cheaper and may even have a little warranty left on them when you trade them in.

So, if "best" is total cost of ownership then it might be a wash. If "best" means not having to replace as often then go commercial. If "best" means having the newest batteries in the coach then go retail.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:39 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
RVDude you hit the nail on the head.

After dealing Submarine wet cell (Lead-Acid) batteries, which is no more than high capacity 250 volt car battery, for 40+ years I have learned that all wet cell batteries are basically the same. Use a chemical process to produce electricity and to recharge. All wet cell batteries are constructed the same, use the same basic materials, yes some manufactures advertise gimmicks to supposedly make their battery better, but remember a wet cell battery produces electricity through exactly the same chemical reaction between the electrolyte and the solid materials in the plates. The electrolyte is a constant, water and sulfuric acid, the plate materials that are involved in the chemical reaction are the same the only difference is the "additives" used by the manufacture. This additives are akin to the "additives" added to gas and oil by the manufactures. The difference between "retail" and "commercial" batteries is the quality and amount of solid materials in the plates. The purity of the materials in the plates and its concentrations make a battery subject to more "cycles" (charges and discharges), of course we as consumers pay the price for higher quality materials and longer service. Best way to buy a battery is to compare ratings (discharge rates), number of cycles it is rated for (longevity), then costs within a particuliar class of battery. Of course the best buy is the longest discharge rate at a given current that you intend to operate your battery at, which is rated at the most "cycles" for the least amount of $$.

As RVDude correctly stated "best is relative", I would add: depending on your particular intended use.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:49 AM   #7

When you take live cycles into account, it is hard to beat the T-105 in $$$ per amp hour stored.

I went with T-125's because they are higer amp hour (240 vs 225) and would fit in my battery box. Up from there the T145 is 260 amp hours.

Though the store brand 12v's that were in my trailer worked (until a cell failed) once I installed the T-125's I could run the furnace like twice as long before needing to recharge. I think that although they were working, they weren't delivering anywhere close to their rated capacity...
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 10:39 AM   #8

We have two trojan T-105's in the fiver. Been in there since 2003. Use a Battery-Minder charger / maintainer and only distilled water.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:10 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for all your comments, folks.
I was kind of leaning toward Trojans. I think I will try them when I get to Arizona in January.