Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2021, 04:58 AM   #29

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Scope

If it is bad is there a way to drain? Also where can you dispose of it?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2021, 10:50 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
I can use a drain pump if I have to. I would not want bad DEF to go into the (poorly conceived) system. I hope others will chime in and tell us an easier way.
2020 Tahoe LT
mahdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 08:21 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
An Update to my initial post: three trips since my last post.
1. Uneventful - 200 miles Check engine stayed on, but no problems.
2. 200 more miles - wonder of wonder, all codes were gone on start up. stopped 100 miles through - three codes on startup. One saying out of DEF. DEF tank shows out of DEF when there is actually 2/3 of a tank. Now with the same warning beeps you get when you leave the blinkers on too long. Called Spartan. Left message. Went ahead to go to the campground. In about five miles, the empty DEF tank warning went away and the beeps stopped. Of course the Spartan rep called me back just after the beeps stopped. I told him what happened. But, of course, I am now just driving with a check engine light, but no beeping and a valid DEF tank level reading, so no emergency. Just as he hangs up, the "no DEF warning" comes back on and I drive more than 60 miles with the constant beeping noise. About 5 miles from the campground the beeping stops and I am back to 2 codes, instead of three.
3. Today's trip was about 100 miles. 2 codes all day, but no beeping. DEF tank shows true level. No change during trip. I get to the campground and turn the engine off. I have two restart the engine to get a better fit to campsite and, lo and behold, all of the codes have cleared. Who knows what my next trip will show? I guess we will see.
Old 06-09-2021, 04:01 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahdi View Post
I can use a drain pump if I have to. I would not want bad DEF to go into the (poorly conceived) system. I hope others will chime in and tell us an easier way.
I would think a drain pump would work or you could simply siphon and out the old DEF. I’m told there’s a drain plug somewhere in the back of the tank. However I’m not crawling under my MH any longer.

Something else to consider. Purchase an inexpensive DEF Refractometer and test your DEF before replacing it.
danleininger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:53 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
I have a refractormeter. I fill up at the truck lanes and keep it above 30% in the tank. How do I check the DEF at truck stops? Maybe a few drops from the pump before filling?
2020 Tahoe LT
mahdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 03:06 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
An Update: Two straight 200 mile trips with no codes. I did add fresh fluid before the two trips. Perhaps what was there had gone a bit below spec. (I never did an actual test with a spectrometer. I have one on order.) At any rate two successful days. Praying for more. I really do not want to take a DEF head away from someone who REALLY needs it.
Old 07-02-2021, 07:47 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Update: after 8 more days of travel, I have had no more codes, so maybe i am OK (knock on wood). I was recently at Spartan for maintenance and had the pull the code history for me. I had 14 instance in the last six months, all cleared on their own. One code indicated a possible derate, but not bad enough to threaten a shutdown. So, I travel on, with a small prayer just before i turn on the engine in the morning.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:23 PM   #36

Exhaust heat shielding

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
We have spent a lot of time with exhaust heat shielding on our 605 and think there is something about the DEF fluid getting hot. Along with the exhaust pipe have also heat shielded the exhaust after treatment plus the complete are around the DEF tank. So far so good but might have some other owners who might have done the same see what they have found with DEF codes.
Newmar Man
Hello Tom,I intend to wrap some heat shielding around the def tank,and was considering wrapping the after treatment portion of the exhaust since it completely melted my factory installed under coach led lights in that area..I called Spartan to ask if they thought wrapping the after treatment chamber would be o.k.….Spartan said that would be a question to ask Cummins…..and that it could affect the function of that component…..prior to wrapping yours,did you check with anybody to make sure it’s o.k.to wrap it??also if you have any pictures showing your wrapped def tank area,I would love to see them..thanks joe b 2019 ka
Old 07-02-2021, 09:37 PM   #37

Too bad someone doesn’t have a programmer to delete the def and Scr systems.
Ebwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 11:06 PM   #38

Joe We didn't wrap the complete DEF exhaust system but from the bottom middle 6 clock position to the 10 clock position or 2/3 of the DEF chamber. Wanted to keep the heat off the battery and service area which is close to the DEF tank. Nice to start with some infrared temp reading for before and after reading. Really feel the excessive heat in the engine compartment is important to take care of with exhaust insulation. It even makes the inside of the coach cooler when traveling with the insulation.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 12:47 PM   #39

DEF tank test

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahdi View Post
Still not clear how to get the DEF from the tank to test it. Any ideas? I figured out how to test from a jug but not what is already in DEF tank.
I've been able to test the DEF in my tank by using one of the Pipettes that I have for my Refractometer
Old 07-03-2021, 12:56 PM   #40

Just curious, has anyone cleared the fault codes with a scan tool and if so, did they come right back on?
I have a Heavy Duty Truck Scan Tool NL102 Plus Auto Scanner with DPF/Sensor Calibration/Oil Reset + Check Engine.
I've note had a reason to use it yet.
Old 07-04-2021, 01:08 PM   #41

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
Just curious, has anyone cleared the fault codes with a scan tool and if so, did they come right back on?
I have a Heavy Duty Truck Scan Tool NL102 Plus Auto Scanner with DPF/Sensor Calibration/Oil Reset + Check Engine.
I've note had a reason to use it yet.
I did try with the Nexus 102P. It would not clear the codes with a failed DEF head. The DEF head must be replaced if it has failed.

Here was the message on the code reader.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-11-23 12.32.04.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	334700  
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 05:55 AM   #42
hrt

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I did try with the Nexus 102P. It would not clear the codes with a failed DEF head. The DEF head must be replaced if it has failed.

Here was the message on the code reader.

I also tried and failed, both with that unit and an OTR reset tool.

Cummins roadside was able to come out and reset it.
hrt is offline   Reply With Quote