RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2014, 09:18 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
DEF Consumption

I was talking to a Volvo truck dealer tonight about DEF consumption. I told him a lot of us RVers were disappointed in our DEF consumption, which led us into an in-depth conversation. He said its not well-known, but a lot of engines (all brands) were equipped with faulty sensors, causing the DEF pump to run excessively. His recommendation was to get to a Cummins dealer and have them check calibrations and perhaps replace the sensor. He felt no engine under RV applications should burn more than about 1.7-1.8 %.

So far on this trip (3500 mi.) I've averaged 300 mpg DEF and 7.0 mpg diesel, for a DEF consumption of about 2.3%. I haven't had much luck finding DEF at the truck stops...a few had had their DEF pumps out of order while one place even swore they didn't offer it in bulk, but upon closer inspection I found they did! But then I was quoted a price of about $5.00 a gal. at the inside desk! I decided Sams was my best bet overall. Trouble is...there are precious few Sams stores along the left coast, so I was left to find some Walmarts. Several of them were out of stock, making this whole thing a real PITA. So, not only do we have to seek out places with decent diesel pricing, but also find places where we can stop to pick up boxes of DEF. My advice....when leaving on a trip, be sure to fill the DEF tank and carry along 4-5 boxes of DEF.

slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2014, 05:36 AM   #2

I have yet to find a DEF at the pump that had a magnetic interlock. Because of the PITA location of the DEF filler, I just use a few 1 gallon containers that I fill when I'm at a station that has DEF. I then put it in my tank at my convenience and refill the containers at the next opportunity.

PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:49 AM   #3

We have driven 12,000 miles in the last 4 months and never had any problems finding DEF at the pump. Almost all FlyingJ/ Pilot have bulk def for $2.79-$2.89 a gallon. We have always been able to find locations that weren't too busy and could pull in the wrong direction so we could fill the tank that is on the passenger side.

We were just at the factory last week and noticed during the tour that all the new TAG coaches still have the DEF tank on the passenger side, while the non TAG coaches now have the DEF tank on the drivers side.

Bill
OC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 02:35 PM   #4

I have a 2013 DS. Have 27000 miles on it and check my DEF mileage at fill up's.. Usually get 500-700 miles per gallon with around 7.5 on fuel.
newmar owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 02:44 PM   #5
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Bill View Post
...We were just at the factory last week and noticed during the tour that all the new TAG coaches still have the DEF tank on the passenger side, while the non TAG coaches now have the DEF tank on the drivers side.

Bill
Our, yet to be built, 2015 Ventana 4037 TAG has the the Def tank on the drivers side. In fact the Newmar rep at the Hershey show where we made the order made a big deal out of the new location.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 03:37 PM   #6

Mike Cody (the instructor) at Camp Freightliner stated in class that you can expect to use def at the approximate rate of 1 gallon def for each 50 gallons of fuel .........

rich
patch-y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 03:58 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I have the ISX12 in my 13 Essex. I've been tracking my DEF consumption since purchase. To date I'm averaging just under 200 mpg of Def with an average of 6.5 mpg on fuel.

Every Cummins facility I've talked to has indicated that different engines will use different amounts of DEF to "clean" the exhaust.

I hope Slabman is correct and I can improve my DEF usage. Time will tell.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:55 PM   #8

I purchased 2 2 1/2 gallon jugs with a nozzle from Five Star Def LLC & fill them at the pump at most truck stops for $2.80 a gallon & this is working well.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:42 AM   #9

[attach]79819[/attach]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf cummins def talk.pdf (267.8 KB, 79 views)
patch-y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:32 AM   #10
Commercial Member

jtovo:

Thanks for the feedback on our jugs and nozzle. We're glad they are working well for you.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:29 AM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We don't full time, but we do about 10K a year in the coach. After each trip I top off the DEF, at my leisure, at home. I usually have a pretty good idea how much I need and will buy the appropriate amount and maybe an extra box.

For me, I just don't see that many trips that I will exceed 4000 - 5000 miles before locating a place to buy DEF.

"newmarpusher".....It's good to see that they moved the DEF tank on the Ventana. The problem is that anything with a side radiator won't have room. I think at some point they'll figure it out and run a long filler tube if necessary.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:36 AM   #12

Ya know, DEF consumption is the leat of our worries!
We get somewhere between 700-800 miles on a gallon.
Most fo the time get around that 8.5 MPG. Walmart has DEF
for $12.00 for 2.5 gallons. When I need it I buy it.
According to my calculations the c
Savings is about $1.2 per gallon ,buying it at the truck stops.
Savings is negligible. IMHO!!
John and Susan. New 2018 Chevrolet 2500 2 WHD . 6.6 Duramax 3.73 rearend. .4 door ,Short, Bed W/Topper. 2017 Grand Design 297 RSTS. Our rescue dog Annie. Still ,Full timing since 07-01-2011. No sticks and bricks.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 03:55 PM   #13
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
W...

"newmarpusher".....It's good to see that they moved the DEF tank on the Ventana. The problem is that anything with a side radiator won't have room. I think at some point they'll figure it out and run a long filler tube if necessary.

I'll have to remember that point the next time there is one of those "heated" discussions on the benefits/perils of a side radiator. Lol.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote